Depth in batting - India's achilles heel in this WC- What can be the solution ?

Simple question, what can Indian TM think of doing to neutralize this concern. As far I am concerned this is India's best side on paper, where India strength is not compromised at all :   

Dhawan

Rohit

Virat

Vijay Shankar

Dhoni

Kedar

Pandya

Kuldeep

Shami

Chahal

Bumrah

But this horrendous tail is neither capable of supporting a batsman nor capable of scoring anything in the death overs. This is an absolute double whammy. Last match Eng were lost a slew of wickets in the end but still managed to get past 350 and that was daunting enough.

I think Virat will surely consider compromising the strength of the side. What you guys thinks about the XI Virat will play in WC matches, considering all this?

Have to try to fit Dk or Pant(if he ever gets to England) into the lineup as a pure finisher.Along with Pandya this will go a long way in us matching teams like England.

This means dropping one of Jhadav or Shankar preferrably Jhadav,I dont think his bowling alone should guarantee his spot.  

13 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

Have to try to fit Dk or Pant(if he ever gets to England) into the lineup as a pure finisher.Along with Pandya this will go a long way in us matching teams like England.

This means dropping one of Jhadav or Shankar preferrably Jhadav,I dont think his bowling alone should guarantee his spot.  

i agree with you 

This year, the top 7 of most teams have scored > 90% of the runs (data posted on one of the threads) 

From memory (%)

Team, 1-7, 8-11

Ind 92, 8

NZ 93, 7

Aus 96, 4

and so on 

Therefore, if the score is 320, 290 or more is expected from the top 7. On such surfaces, guys lower down can get 30 runs or so 

Edited by zen
9 hours ago, mani sha said:

Put Jadeja. At no 3 

dont pick chahal

get bhuvi in place of Shammi 

tail gets covered 

Dhawan

rohit

jadeja

rahul

kohli

dhoni 

shankar/ Jadhav 

pandya

bhuvi

kuldeep

bumrah

It’s not the best bowling or batting but it’s a way . A 20 ball 25 from Jadeja might be our only answer 

Jadeja can’t get a 25(20) while batting in the lower order and you think he can do that at 3? :phehe:

48 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Jadeja can’t get a 25(20) while batting in the lower order and you think he can do that at 3? :phehe:

His game will fetch u returns up the order

plays aerial and hook shots 

down the order he is useless . 

I m trying to see where each player can give u more bang for the buck . Seen enuf of Jadeja to say he is the best pinch hitter .

world cups are won with all rounders , bowling and a strong first 15 and last 15 batting 

12 hours ago, SK_IH said:

jadeja at no. 3 ?  BC itna confidence tou Saurashtra bhi na dikhaye Jadeja mein :lol:

Think he is batting better last one year.

i would have picked Krunal or some spinning true all rounder - someone who can bat . Chahal imbalances the team 

16 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Pinch hitters isn't a bad strategy, however you have to look at the opposition bowlers, pitches & match situation first. Can't put Jadeja in front of Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Boult on a fiery spell. Let the best batsman, better than the King, aka Brat handle them :cantstop:

He has one go to shot to balls that are not pitched up outside the off stump. Just trying to guide to third man and missing it my light years.

3 hours ago, Sean Bradley said:

6 bowling options,  batting down till 7, if 7 cant do the job on these roads then you dont deserve to win the worldcup. My 11.

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli 

KL Rahul

Shankar/Jadhav

Dhoni 

Pandya

Shami

Kuldeep

Chahal

Bhumrah

England doesn't always end up with 350/5, 360/5 they lose more wickets yet end up with 350 to 400. Reason is depth. They were 202/6 vs NZ in 30 overs and ended up with 408/9.

It is all about partnership. Bhuvi and Pandya added 45 for 8th wicket this year. Bhuvi won't feature. In the last few years in every tail partnership Bhuvi was involved. His runs were even a factor in winning matches.   Next best is Kuldeep & BK 26. Where as Hasani Ali and Sarfraz added 90 runs for the 9th wicket. Nabi & Rashid added 86 for the 8th wicket. Mithun & Saifuddin added 84 for 8th, Bracewell and Ferguson added 58 for the 9th wicket. 

Our tail Kuldeep/Bumrah/Chahal/Shami involved in 93 partnership between different players or between themselves. 87 occasions partnership didn't cross 20. 

Having a decent tail helps the top and middle order open up a bit better. England needed lower order to maintain the rate many times. If You leave it to our tail they won't even survive let alone maintain the rate. When England scored 200 runs in the last 20 overs against New zealand,  Rashid and Butler scored the bulk of the runs.