What are some great movies that are based on real/historical events ?

Norman

I've seen a few great movies in this genre like 300, Troy , Gladiator , Saving Private Ryan,  Tora Tora Tora , Dunkirk etc and honestly loved every one of them. I've always loved these real films as they carry the psychological edge of real life occurence and make the viewing more gripping. 

So, apart from those I mentioned above and a few other obvious choices like Schindler's list , Stalingrad etc. are there any other movies that are worth watching? 

Please suggest. :dance:

Edited by Norman

Gladiator never actually happened. I mean it's based on roman history and facts etc but the characters and exact plot never happened.

Braveheart happened but not in the way the movie was taken. The actual events and the one's depicted in the movie were totally different. Movie is inaccurate. But, still I like the movie. One of my favs, in the historical genre along with Gladiator.

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@Norman

Troy doesn't deserve a mention in your list. It is mythology, not history/real events. And the movie is a very bad adaptation of The Illiad, with some divergent sub plots.

Most (and by most I mean 'all') Greeks actually believe that Trojan war has happened in reality. I mean not in the fictional cinematic way as shown in "Troy" , but still it happened. There are archaeological evidences in modern day Turkey which fits every Homer description of the city of Troy. 

Edited by Norman

4 hours ago, velu said:

if i am not wrong , 300 was a minor skirmish won by the Greeks which is glorified * 1000 times..

after this battle , persians went on to screw all the greek states 

My blood boiled at the way they depicted Persians in the film as bloodthirsty savages when it couldn't have been further from the truth. 

The character of a great monarch such as Xerxes was reduced to a joke by those racist b@stards.