Ganguly set to become-new-bcci-president

raki05

6 hours ago, New guy said:

He is there only for 10 months, why would he be a puppet. He can rather be used to take all tough decisions as he will be gone in 10 months. He has nothing to lose and no reason to suck up to anyone

7 hours ago, adi B said:

Everyone knows that dhoni sucks not only now but for 3 years or so but There are limitations to what one can speak in the comm box, hardly will you ever see even the likes of Ian Chappell or holding calling spade a spade wrt to msd during a live match, everything (criticism) comes out in articles or columns .

Now holding the bcci post he surely can do some arm twisting which he cant being a commentator or an expert , I am sure Shastri will get a smack on the back come next year 

It is a very short-term thinking if you think the only benefit of Ganguly's appointment is going to be get ridding of Dhoni and Shastri or Kohli's LOI captaincy. That is not exactly the main role of a BCCI president or his responsibility. That is the selector's job. Now sure if he puts together a panel of strong selectors and gives them a free reign, that could count as a great initiative.

Let us see these issues one by one.

Shastri- Shastri already has signed a 3 year contract. The only way to get rid of him is a Pakistani PCB style emotion based firing or a performance based evaluation which will take some time given the last couple of series.

Unless you want Indian cricket to behave like padosis option 1 is out of question because it will only create a huge legal drama/circus,

Option 2 well that can be likely but at this point Ganguly has only 10 months and don't think in 10 months that is possible unless Shastri screws himself with some off-field shenanigans.

Maybe in 3 years time, if the Kohli-Shastri combo remains Ganguly can maybe limit Kohli's influence but 3 years is like 3 decades in Indian cricket. Anything can happen.

Changing Kohli the LOI captain- If Kohli gets kicked out in the first round of the WT20, there is a possibility that this can happen.

Firstly, this is the selectors job. However Ganguly can step in and it can go either way . This is no different from Sreeni or Dalmiya back in the day backing Dhoni and Ganguly respectively.

Hardly this requires any revolutionary line of thinking.

Also don't think it is Ganguly's job to tell Kohli who to play in his X1. It is the selector's job to select the squad and Kohli and Shastri's  job to pick the X1. Letting the BCCI president pick the squad and the X1 will again set a bad precedent.  I would rather have Kohli select DK or Pappu and screw up than start this tradition of  Ganguly telling Kohli to play Pant.

Dhoni- Looks like he is slowly out of the picture at least  for the foreseeable future. Never say never though. I think he will play next year's WT20.  Selecting him or dropping him is the selector's job. We know our selectors are yes men, so maximum Ganguly can do is have a word with Dhoni about his future and may be ask him to retire. This would be a similar scenario no matter who the president or power center is.

There isn't going to be any public firing. unfortunately, like it or not Dhoni is too big a name and the decision is going to be done in private regardless.

The main function as the BCCI president is  bringing in revenue, commercialization of the sport,building infrastructure, taking care of cricketers, Making power plays n the ICC etc. Ganguly has a poor  admin  track record as the president of Bengal cricket.

It will definitely be some powerful non-cricketing guys doing all these decisions on his behalf.

How can we forget that for Ganguly to get a free hand and be a successful captain he still needed the backing of a powerful admin like Dalmiya. That cannot be a benchmark to say he is going to be a successful administrator.

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

Those who were singing praises of Modi and BJP . Nepotism exists everywhere not just Congress.

What the heck has Amit Shah’s done for cricket in India.

Srini Mama at least was involved in Indian cricket long before there was any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm they are constructing the worlds largest stadium there. Modi was involved in cricket  long before becoming pm

Umm they are constructing the worlds largest stadium there. Modi was involved in cricket  long before becoming pm

Are you kidding me, did he spend his own money to build the stadium.

India cements spent their own money to form team and promote cricket long before 1983.

Second thing what has Modi building a stadium related to Amit Shah’s son having a powerful seat in BCCI.

We may see the end of Dhoni and ultimatum given to Shastri.

Having said that this is just 10 month job for Ganguly after which he has to quit. So i expect Srini or Niranjan Shah to get back at BCCI through their control indirectly.
Apparently he has been assured at a very high level that the cooling period nautanki will be done away with a legislation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

Are you kidding me, did he spend his own money to build the stadium.

India cements spent their own money to form team and promote cricket long before 1983.

Second thing what has Modi building a stadium related to Amit Shah’s son having a powerful seat in BCCI.

India cements probably fixed the games of their teams via their enthusiast son in laws and recouped 10 times over.

Maybe srini needs to explain why a stand in chennai remains closed nearly a decade after revamping the stadium. 

By the time he does that the 100k stadium in A'bad will be open.

Great news. My wish list from Dada, the BCCI President

1.  End the mafia raj of Kohli-Shastri-Dhoni

2. Put in a proper structure for youngsters to be given a proper run and bloom

3. Fix accountability of captain and coach. If needed fire the current incumbents and get people who have a vision for Indian cricket and not just their self serving interests as supreme 

4. Appoint proper selectors who have a spine and not the cheerleaders of captain-coach
5. Put in a better professional structure for regular dialogue between selectors and players on the fringe 

6. Break the nexus of powerful Sports Managers influencing Team India selections 

2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Absolutely. Best will be if Dada boots out Dhoni it without giving a farewell to him which was denied to Sehwag, Zaheer, Yuvraj.

Nothing of this sort will happen. Ganguly has longterm BCCI ambitions, and would not want to be seen as 'petty and vindictive'. He'll let the selectors take the call and will focus on infrastructure building in his first term (9 months).

1 hour ago, Magneto said:

Nothing of this sort will happen. Ganguly has longterm BCCI ambitions, and would not want to be seen as 'petty and vindictive'. He'll let the selectors take the call and will focus on infrastructure building in his first term (9 months).

Expect the unexpected from Ganguly. Thats what his captaincy showed us. He has never held back from taking touch decisions and I'd expect him to continue doing the same. He may himself not target any individuals as the BCCI President has much bigger power politics to manage but can always give enough hints for the rest of the organisation to act upon.

Should Ravi Sashtri the head coach of the Indian cricket team should be worried because of BCCI appointing Sourav Ganguly as the new president. And Ravi Sashtri should be reporting to Ganguly. We all know that Ganguly and Sashtri had word of war in 2016 when saashtri stated that because of ganguly he didnt get the coaching job in back 2016. But later in 2017 he was appointed as the coach. Replying to it Ganguly stated that "sasthri should have been present in person for the interview".

Shastri said "whatever differences he had with Ganguly back then are no longer relevant now as both have moved on from that unfortunate episode. We are two former captains, there will be arguments. Everyone is not on the same page all the time. But there is mutual respect,