Pujara, what a performance!

zen

1 hour ago, fineleg said:

Pujara was very good here, but Dravid was a class apart. (incl Dravid 4th inn Adelaide and many such overseas knocks of RD)

Playing Brad Williams-Nathan Bracken-Andy Bichel-Stuart MacGill on track with 2 500+ scores is different than Playing Starc-Hazelwood-Cummins-Lyon on this pitch

Opening bowling combo of Bracken-Williams have combiner 9 tests and 21 wickets. MacGill famously gave one full toss/loose ball an over.

i am not trying to put down Dravid's knock but I want to give some perspective. We tend to praise past performances lot more than current ones. IMO this Pujara performance is one of the best in Australia

4 minutes ago, CoverDrive said:

Playing Brad Williams-Nathan Bracken-Andy Bichel-Stuart MacGill on track with 2 500+ scores is different than Playing Starc-Hazelwood-Cummins-Lyon on this pitch

Opening bowling combo of Bracken-Williams have combiner 9 tests and 21 wickets. MacGill famously gave one full toss/loose ball an over.

i am not trying to put down Dravid's knock but I want to give some perspective. We tend to praise past performances lot more than current ones. IMO this Pujara performance is one of the best in Australia

Gillespie was in the team instead of Bracken though. Anyhoo while that was a weaker attack and a much more batting friendly wicket, Dravid was under massive scoreboard pressure with India at 85-4 chasing 556. 9 times out of 10, teams don't even draw from that position let alone come back to win the Test. 

Quality player. If it wasn’t for his knee injuries, I think he could have become one of India’s best ever.

incredible that Kohli tried to get rid of him on a couple of occasions.

if he played in the 1st test if the England series I think India would have had a good chance of winning that test.

Even when he does not score many and gets stuck, he sticks around, wears down opposition bowlers and makes it easier for those who come in after.

Despite taking into account  'bowling unit  & winning the  toss'(what would have happend had AUS  batted first with their tail  batting so brilliantly, only GOD knows)   too contributed substantially to this win, this was  a brilliant performance from Pujara. 3rd batting position is safe as of now and  for the next  4 years.  But again Pujara can't be compared to the legend Dravid. 'Adelaide performances of both the players' itself reveal the quality difference between them. 

2 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

Despite taking into account  'bowling unit  & winning the  toss'(what would have happend had AUS  batted first with their tail  batting so brilliantly, only GOD knows)   too contributed substantially to this win, this was  a brilliant performance from Pujara. 3rd batting position is safe as of now and  for the next  4 years.  But again Pujara can't be compared to the legend Dravid. 'Adelaide performances of both the players' itself reveal the quality difference between them. 

Adlaide 2003 was a batting paradise where both teams scored 550 plus runs in the first innings and Aussie lost that test not because we were great but because of their own ego as they attacked our bowlers and lost wickets regularly in second innings.  also this Aussie attack is better than 2003 attack we faced.  Also, we were 40/4 once.

Edited by rkt.india
3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Adlaide 2003 was a batting paradise where both teams scored 550 plus runs in the first innings and Aussie lost that test not because we were great but because of their own ego as they attacked our bowlers and lost wickets regularly in second innings.  also this Aussie attack is better than 2003 attack we faced.  Also, we were 40/4 once.

Yes , Pujara's was a brilliant performance by every yardstick .But in that match India were playing the catch up game (score board pressure) And in 4rth inns too  he scored 71  and remained till the end. So chasing a target there. All in all  300+ runs  and getting out only once. Rather than  a 'batting paradise' , I feel that   it was a mix of all, I mean a bit easier conditions + the batting might of 2 teams+

comparatively weaker bowling units of both teams. And we were also at 85/4 chasing a huge 556 . So all in all Dravid's was at least 2 levels above that of Pujara, Ifeel.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

But you have to also accept that aussie are missing number 1 and  nuber 2 test bats. With Smith and Warner in side, this test match coukd have been a definite draw if not a Aussie win. Ie Aussies may have scored a lot of runs

Edited by mishra
3 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

Well done skipper fpr bringing best out of him, all down to Kohli.  Onaly applying same logic how kohli blamed when batsman dont do well, so cant have it both ways wrist slitters :phehe:

You mean the same guy who dropped him for Rohit sharma cos he was too slow? Any batsmen scoring runs is inspite of virat doing his best to keep them insecure. 

7 hours ago, mishra said:

But you have to also accept that aussie are missing number 1 and  nuber 2 test bats. With Smith and Warner in side, this test match coukd have been a definite draw if not a Aussie win. Ie Aussies may have scored a lot of runs

in 2003, Aussies missed whole of their first choice bowling attack.  Mcgrath, Warne, Lee and Gillespie both were coming back from injuries.  you think we could have won in 2003 Adelaide if McGrath and Warne were there? Same is the case here. Absence of great cricketers does make a difference.  We did not have SRT in 2004 series that we lost.