Dumb and Dumber roles must be assessed if India don't win remaining Tests: Gavaskar

The Realist

6 hours ago, nevada said:

Maybe captaincy and a guaranteed spot in the team will bring out the best in him. He can't do any worse than Kohli as captain.

Thing is can you rely on him when India needs to chase anything above 150-200 overseas? The way he prrformed in England when 194 were needed or after Kohli got out in fourth test he scored a meaningless 50 got out to Ali or Perth second innings he looks like he has given up.

I would like the test team captained by Rahane and coached by Kumble. Vice-captain - Pujara :dance:. Kohli should focus on batting. Rahul needs time off to play ranji and come back like the batsman he was on the last tour. Vijay is too old to be given more chances. Last tour for him. Shastri can play as an opener in the bar.

Selectors I have done your job. Please implement it.

Sourav Ganguly’s unsent message to Virat Kohli that could have helped India win the Perth Test

https://www.crictracker.com/sourav-gangulys-unsent-message-to-virat-kohli-that-could-have-helped-india-win-the-perth-test/

The message from Sourav Ganguly

“I had thought of sending a text to Kohli but I haven’t done it yet. I wanted to tell him that you shouldn’t give so many wickets to spinners outside the subcontinent. There is no doubt that Nathan Lyon is a great spinner but so were Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan and Graeme Swann.

“They have shown him too much respect by defending a lot of deliveries outside the off-stump. Instead, I feel they should attack him more and look to build towards at least a total in excess of 300-350,” said Dada on IndiaTV’s show ‘Cricket Ki Baat’.

The 113-Test veteran also lashed out at the Indian top-order batsmen. Barring Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara, he said no one else applied themselves well. He mentioned that the batsmen will have to do a lot better if India is to win.

“For all of India’s top order batsmen, this is not their first tour to Australia. They have been there before. Logically their game should improve over the years but from what we saw in Perth, it is difficult to say it has. Barring Kohli and (Cheteshwar) Pujara, none of them are making a lot of runs and this is not good for the team. If India have to win, they will have to do a lot more,” Ganguly added.

He defended Umesh Yadav and put the entire blame on the batsmen. He also raised questions about the coaching staff. “Head coach Ravi Shastri and batting coach Sanjay Bangar must answer for India’s repeated batting failures outside the sub-continent,” he signed off saying.

5 hours ago, goose said:

wow

Kohli is just too excitable. He craves the high one gets by taking the contrarian option and sticking it to others. It shows in his DRS decisions and selection, and chasing high scores. 

Contrarian?  His record is consistently conservative in terms of captaincy, apart from some insanely silly selection moves where he can't shake off his stubborn biases.  Rohit ahead of Pujara/Rahane early and often - that's not contrarian its serpentine silliness.  

Picking 4 quicks at Perth was because he got carried away with all the hype about pace and bounce - as is usual for him.  There's a reason why his performances drops significantly when he gets into sledging and verbals.  He's a guy who can be messed with.  That's why Australia keep trying that method.  

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I would like the test team captained by Rahane and coached by Kumble. Vice-captain - Pujara :dance:. Kohli should focus on batting. Rahul needs time off to play ranji and come back like the batsman he was on the last tour. Vijay is too old to be given more chances. Last tour for him. Shastri can play as an opener in the bar.

Selectors I have done your job. Please implement it.

Very good suggestions. I concur.

No More Kohli - Shastri ( Can we repost Dandaroy's post from yesterday on this dumb and dumber pair - it's right on point)

Also no more Sanjay Bangar - where is the improvement in the batting ? Also, it seems he has never considered working with the bowlers on their batting - just look at the improvement in the batting of Aussie Nathan Lyon. Additionally Bharat Arun - how come no-one noticed until now that Ishant Sharma was pushing the line and constantly over-stepping ? 

I say bring back Kumble and make Rahane captain !

Such overreaction after losing one test. What happens when we win in Melbourne? They become superheroes? Also, it is so nice when former players join the ranks of the fan. One would find a lot more underachievement in Gavaskar’s record- as player and captain- in Australia. Yet he finds no problem with taking on Kohli - and that too, when the series is still in progress. 

Separately, there is no question that Gavaskar has a lot of knowledge to offer a batsman. A guy like KL Rahul would be nuts if he didn’t take advantage of that. Not saying that he has to follow that advice. But at least get insight on what Gavaskar sees. Sometimes minor adjustments can make all the difference.

18 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

Such overreaction after losing one test. What happens when we win in Melbourne? They become superheroes? Also, it is so nice when former players join the ranks of the fan. One would find a lot more underachievement in Gavaskar’s record- as player and captain- in Australia. Yet he finds no problem with taking on Kohli - and that too, when the series is still in progress

Separately, there is no question that Gavaskar has a lot of knowledge to offer a batsman. A guy like KL Rahul would be nuts if he didn’t take advantage of that. Not saying that he has to follow that advice. But at least get insight on what Gavaskar sees. Sometimes minor adjustments can make all the difference.

No of course not, but there's a real danger should we lose this series 2-1 or 3-1 our test side coud go into a tailspin ala 2011/12 horror show. Aus will only get stronger, so will Eng & our losses are mainly due to these 2 stuparses at the helm! Kohli, if he achieves the unlikely i.e. lose by 3-1 will redo a Dhoni & we'll be back to square 0 :facepalm:

So when is the right time, you know about Hindi proverbs on that don't you? Kohli is not building a team, he's slowly but surely melting away all our hopes of a dominant (home) side that travels well.

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

No of course not, but there's a real danger should we lose this series 2-1 or 3-1 our test side coud go into a tailspin ala 2011/12 horror show. Aus will only get stronger, so will Eng & our losses are mainly due to these 2 stuparses at the helm! Kohli, if he achieves the unlikely i.e. lose by 3-1 will redo a Dhoni & we'll be back to square 0 :facepalm:

So when is the right time, you know about Hindi proverbs on that don't you? Kohli is not building a team, he's slowly but surely melting away all our hopes of a dominant (home) side that travels well.

Yaar, itna pessimist muth bano. We have a real chance to win also. Melbourne wicket will be more favorable. Indian batsmen, having played in tough conditions, will better handle Australian bowling and score big. India will add spin to the mix and have a more varied attack. Lot to look forward to. 

As far as building sides go, individuals have responsibility too. Pujara, Rahane, the openers can do much more than what they have shown thus far. 

8 hours ago, ind_hyd1 said:

Gavaskar should stop critizing kohli, where was he when Mr. Mahi was doing such a mediocre job

If you are looking into the past, SG should question every captain including himself, SRT, Ganguly, Kumble, etc. Lets stay in the present. Kohli is facing a team that is low in confidence and ability since the 80s. Ideally we should win this series. Hence SG is asking the right questions. Think about the questions asked rather than who is asking the questions.

Edited by Real McCoy
36 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

If you are looking into the past, SG should question every captain including himself, SRT, Ganguly, Kumble, etc. Lets stay in the present. Kohli is facing a team that is low in confidence and ability since the 80s. Ideally we should win this series. Hence SG is asking the right questions. Think about the questions asked rather than who is asking the questions.

Bhai 1986 tour to aus, that team was weaker than this. None of aus bowlers were as good as starc, hazle or lyon. Gr8 gavaskar was captain and we could not win a single match. My point is do not make kohli a villain. Every one in the team is responsible, Vijay or Rahul had they scored a single fifty In first couple matches in SA or ENG things would have been different 

Just now, ind_hyd1 said:

Bhai 1986 tour to aus, that team was weaker than this. None of aus bowlers were as good as starc, hazle or lyon. Gr8 gavaskar was captain and we could not win a single match. My point is do not make kohli a villain. Every one in the team is responsible, Vijay or Rahul had they scored a single fifty In first couple matches in SA or ENG things would have been different 

We could've if the Sydney test IIRC wasn't decided by dubious umpiring. It wasn't just Pak home umpires that were trash, Aus also had equally trash if not worse umpires back in the day, heck till 2001/02 when neutral umpires started. I know our umpires weren't angels but Pak, Aus IMO were the consistently worst of the lot.

Edited by R!TTER
20 minutes ago, ind_hyd1 said:

Wrong. Kapil was captain. We should have won that series 3-0. Instead we drew all of them all so that the batsmen get 100s to cement  their place in the team :facepalm:. Thats why I said the opponent is the weakest since the 80s. I didnt say this is the weakest team. The 80s team was. NZ won an away series against them. If NZ had such an opportunity this time, they would do the same. Hopefully we win this time. Otherwise Kohli is the same as the rest of the captains. I'm losing my respect for Kohli the captain.