Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

maniac

13 hours ago, Adi BB said:

# Pakistan Australia Kenya tries series (one of the most random tries series you'll ever see) , with one of the most random end ,yes the final was washed out lol ,trophy shared but I remember Hayden smashing the daylights out of Pakistani phaasstt boilers! And then their joke of a batting line up shitting bricks against McGrath and Gillespie. 

# Australia  chasing 326 against saf in a bilateral odi series in saf ,that was the highest chase during that time.

# dinesh mongia scoring a 170 odd against Zimbabwe in the decider and I was actually scared that zim could chase down that 330 odd total lol 

# India vs nzl gwalior odi 1999 ,remember that game due that bhardwaj run out and dada smashing nzl bowlers like tinpot at the death .that was a good one day series played with the red ball .

# India vs saf 2000 odi series game 1 at kochi I think ,India chased down 300 and I remember that game specifically because the umpires had signalled a 4 wrongly and then recalled the players when it was too dark just to finish the final run .

That was a great game and probably the best series win for India,beating saf in odis was the pinnacle for any team during that time 

Glad you mentioned that 330 vs zimbawe. I think Dinesh mongia scored 159. The way mongia and yuvi smashed zimbawe was a treat to watch.

Also in that match grant flower played a gem of a innings. The way he was sweeping and reverse-sweeping harbhajan was pure master-class to watch. Both Andy and Grant flower were masters in the art of sweeping and reverse-sweeping. 

1987/88

Narendra Hirwani debut series against West Indies. Only reason I remember it because Dad allowed me to  watch whole series on our black and white television. I felt that Patterson was too quick(Way quicker then Walsh and others) to our bats and most of time our players used to duck him. Still remember that one ball which went over the boundry ropes in two or three bounce. One on the pitch and over, way over the keeper Dujon(Lion behind the wicket) and then it was near boundry ropes. Now I understand that he did not had right length.

This was first time i saw some players like Hiwani, Arun Lal.

IIRC Commies used to mention how Arun Lal had such a impeccable domestic record but he failed miserbaly that series.

Windies batted and batted , till Our Hirwani Heroics in one game brough some cheer

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/series/61942.html

Next memory I have is this. The reason it stuck in my mind is because, In those days winning against Pakistan gave a sense of satisfaction. This is probably one of the first match called off because Pakistanis couldn't take a loss and Karachi crowd invaded the ground

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/16635/scorecard/64347/pakistan-vs-india-3rd-odi-india-tour-of-pakistan-1989-90

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

In 2000, watching Sri Lanka play ODI tri series in Sharjah. There was this young bowler, Dilhara Fernando. Out of nowhere he started bowling at 148 and consistently above 145. I was like, damn! This kid is fast!

haha there was Fernando and some guy called Nissanka, similar built , similar looks couldnt differentiate them, i think Pak used to routinely beat Lanka in these finals 

17 hours ago, saik said:

The only match India won in that series.

Skipper Azhar was batting beautifully in that game till he got run out because he ran for a single but Sachin stayed in the crease. You could clearly see the pressure on Sachins face. Then Kapil paaji walked in and he talked to Tendulkar. You can see from body language that he was telling him to forget what happened. Throughout that inning Kapil paaji was talking to Tendulkar. That hand on shoulder is to calm/soothe Tendulkar who was just a young kid. This type of free advise was not for first time. Tendulkar was allways given a tlc, atleast on field.

A lesson for our current senior players how to treat young kids like Shaw, Pant, Gill and others. When young kids makes a debut, you stay there, be with him, calm him, assure him, advise him and you never know. How far that young kid will go.

PS: Now, Hopefully some people will understand why I dislike Kohli the skipper.

Edited by mishra
11 hours ago, MechEng said:

SL were easily second best ODI side in the world after Australia in 2000s. In 1990s also they were second best with Pak and Aussies sharing first position.

Nope ,SA were the best team in the 90s followed by aus then pak and srl.

Windies ind eng and nzl were average with fee highs here and there. 

In the early 2000s aus took the top position 

India never won a match in Pakistan until Robin singh helped us win in 1997. There was a time when India was playing superbly in the 80s. Especially vengsarkar. Suddenly Indian team had to return home after 1st half.  The entire tour was called off. Take a guess why?

Edited by vvvslaxman

There was this game vs SL, on a hot April Saturday, that I saw at the Wankhede, where Dhoni hit a 6 to win us the game. It was probably the only thing I remember in that otherwise dull game. People went berserk for a few days after that 6. 

Dont know what the fuss was all about :dontknow:

Never again, am I going to see an ODI in its entirety. Even on a TV, let alone in the stadium.

- India vs. WI Chepauk 1983 test Sunil Gavaskar 236 not out 

- India vs. Pak 1983-84 at JLN stadium, Delhi ( Kirti Azad plucking out a victory) 

- India vs. WI Tied ODI 125 score 1991 

- India vs England 1984 ODI series with VEngsarkar scoring 105 

- India vs. WI Delhi test match 1988 test with India getting bowled out for 75 and then restricting WI for 29/6 before Richards bailed them out and got them to 127 . EVentually, WI won in a close contest .

ODI match between WI and Aus wherein Steven Waugh and bevan had the wonderful partnership to win the match. They did not hit many fours and sixers but still they chased at more than run a ball and won. Their running between wickets and strike rotation was amazing.

Sohail Khan picking 5 fer against us in ODI WC. Debut match and he just ran through the batting lineup.

Similarly other debutant. Franklyn Rose took a 5 for something on test debut on our tour to WI.

Vinod Kambli crying on-field against Sri Lanka.

Solkar taking a brilliant catch of Lloyd in 1974 test series in India. Probably that superb catch was the only way we could have got Lloyd looked well set for a 200.

Glenn Turners 100 which knocked our chances of progressing to WC knockouts.

Collission between Lloyd and Sobers which helped India get run-out .

Paul Valthaty scoring a IPL ton. Came from nowhere. Totally unexpected by anyone.

Edited by Straight Drive