Golden opportunity for Rishabh Pant

SecondSlip

49 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Good knock today but didnt finish it. He went for the glory shot. Could have finished in singles and waited for the loose delivery for six

That was a loose delivery as well.

57 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Pant has shown: (a) he has the destructive power and (b) lacks finishing skills. If he does not learn in the next 2-3 yrs, it will be a huge waste of talent. even in Tests, when he takes his time and settles down, he plays very well. however, there is this annoying tendency to play death or glory shots at wrong times.

Why you want him to be a finisher. Why you are assuming he should be a finisher. He is an impact player. Find someone else to finish games who can consolidate like Dhoni.

42 minutes ago, chewy said:

Don't care about finisher role, lack of maturity, blah blah

But has the power game which India lacks severely, almost effortless brute power

Agree. Let someone else finish there are enough "finishers" in the WC squad, its full of them.

Pant has the shot making ability that no other player has, let him play that impact role rather than forcing him to be a "finisher"

Pant at 4/5 is ideal. Gives the team left-right combo.Allows him to settle and go blitzkrieg when Pandya arrives.100 runs of 6 overs is very much in the cards if these two get going.The team has too many batsman who are consolidators.Only Pandya & Pant have that game to make a 320 score into 380.If only 1 or 2 wickets are down after 35 overs,send either of them ahead of others.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Why you want him to be a finisher. Why you are assuming he should be a finisher. He is an impact player. Find someone else to finish games who can consolidate like Dhoni.

There is not such a thing called finisher in cricket, there are only batsmen and bowlers.  "Finisher" is just a gimmick. 

Edited by SK_IH

Irrespective of what Pant does, Kohli and selectors will not take him to WC. That became clear when the joker MSK Prasad explained logic behind his non selection- DK is a better keeper and Shankar is a 3D keeper.

If he does get in somehow, Kohli-Shastri will do everything to kill his morale. Dhoni mafia will be tracking every Pant move. For Pant’s future,  I hope and wish he does not go to the WC only to be made the scapegoat for what is likely to be a poor WC campaign.

5 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Irrespective of what Pant does, Kohli and selectors will not take him to WC. That became clear when the joker MSK Prasad explained logic behind his non selection- DK is a better keeper and Shankar is a 3D keeper.

If he does get in somehow, Kohli-Shastri will do everything to kill his morale. Dhoni mafia will be tracking every Pant move. For Pant’s future,  I hope and wish he does not go to the WC only to be made the scapegoat for what is likely to be a poor WC campaign.

True.

Dhoni is very insecure. 

If Pant gets to play and he plays one match winning knock...people will question his place.

If team fails,it will be on Pant because he is the only irresponsible person .:rolleyes:

Kohli needs a captain so that he can go for toss and stand at boundary . Pant does not have the experience.

Rohit is competition while dhoni is a safe grey beard.

At times you have to check the IQ level of ICFers. One good knock and all of a sudden he is a contender for the WC squad now. What about consistency and not going for glory shots when the match is in the bag. Even I can sense he was going for the six that ball. Do you think an international bowler wouldnt have seen it. Bhuvi changed his line slightly wide at the moment of delivery. That was almost a wide if he left it. He opened the door for SRH to make a game of it. It seems ponting didnt like the way he was dismissed

I can see how the bowlers plan for pant. Bowl wide at a good length. This is what Lyon did in the test series. He needs to go with the flow and wait for a loose delivery that the bowler will ultimately bowl. We have seen what happens when you select based on IPL talent last year. 50 overs is way different from 20 over "tamasha" cricket

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

At times you have to check the IQ level of ICFers. One good knock and all of a sudden he is a contender for the WC squad now. What about consistency and not going for glory shots when the match is in the bag. Even I can sense he was going for the six that ball. Do you think an international bowler wouldnt have seen it. Bhuvi changed his line slightly wide at the moment of delivery. That was almost a wide if he left it. He opened the door for SRH to make a game of it. It seems ponting didnt like the way he was dismissed

I can see how the bowlers plan for pant. Bowl wide at a good length. This is what Lyon did in the test series. He needs to go with the flow and wait for a loose delivery that the bowler will ultimately bowl. We have seen what happens when you select based on IPL talent last year. 50 overs is way different from 20 over "tamasha" cricket

One good knock? Dude, Pant has won DC 4 out of the 10 chases almost on his own - 49(21), 53*(38 ), 46(31), 78*(36). Add his 78*(27) and that makes it 5 match winning knocks in 15 games. 

Also, behind Andre Russel, he's the 2nd batsmen who bats outside top 3 to have scored 400+ runs.

How many 21 yr olds have done that in IPL?

2 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

One good knock? Dude, Pant has won DC 4 out of the 10 chases almost on his own - 49(21), 53*(38 ), 46(31), 78*(36). Add his 78*(27) and that makes it 5 match winning knocks in 15 games. 

Also, behind Andre Russel, he's the 2nd batsmen who bats outside top 3 to have scored 400+ runs.

How many 21 yr olds have done that in IPL?

I was talking about how ICFers were cussing Pant about how irresponsible he is after one of the late season matches. Even @beetle was unhappy about him. I know he played good knocks before that. As someone else mentioned here, his inconsistency will make the selectors doubt him. I would recommend a role as an opener than a lower order player for the time being. His brain farts will cost us big time in a crucial match. Pandya is much more reliable as a lower order player. You said it he is just 21. let him gain experience will make him better. Nobody is doubting his talent.

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Hardik Pandya was going for glory shots against CSK almost every ball in the final overs. Not everyone believes in stupid thala philosophy of making an easy chase interesting. Most new generation players want to finish off the games without any fuss. Pant brought DC into the game. When he got it was run a ball. It's not his fault remaining batsmen find even that difficult.

Some intellects here want him to be a finisher like their ideal who finishes chances of his national team in chases like these,but why do you think he should be a finisher,they often suggest about letting him get experience

Edited by Suhaan

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

you feel like that because DC lower middle order is poor with likes of Rutherford, Patel and Keemo.  while Indian team has Dhoni, Pandya, Shankar, Jadhav.  If a team cant score 5 runs in 7 balls with 5 wickets remaining, you will blame Some one who has 49 in 21 balls for that? Irrespective of what Lyon did, Pant was the second top run getter for us in the test series.