Can KL Rahul become future Rohit Sharma?

No but he can be a better T20 player, already a more accomplished test batsman. Rohit in ODIs is a freak, we might never see another one like him in the next 20 years, enjoy his greatness in the meantime. 
And let him play only ODIs and T20s...

Trying him in Tests will screw his ODI form....we have seen this before...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Rahul is a mental midget. No he can’t. Also rohit gets big hundreds. Even tests I don’t remember rahul getting big hundreds. He appears to me he throws away in his wicket mostly.
Rohit was even bigger mental midget than KLR...

Rahul has his own game, he has been circumsuspect in this WC, but has more potential to be explosive than Rohit.

As good as Rohit has been and probably an all time ODI great

Rather have an explosive Opener averaging 40 plus with SR of 110plus in today's era

India has plenty of good batsmen coming through the ranks who can pick up the slack.

15 hours ago, rkt.india said:

We can try him in middle order in test

Whether opening or middle order - he needs to prove his mettle and temperament via India A games first. We should never confuse one-day form with potential performances in test matches (especially in Eng/Aus even WI test pitches are spicy now).

24 minutes ago, Samcric said:

Whether opening or middle order - he needs to prove his mettle and temperament via India A games first. We should never confuse one-day form with potential performances in test matches (especially in Eng/Aus even WI test pitches are spicy now).

He already has 100 in Aus and WI. So, there is no question on his ability.

15 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Rahul has played only 22 ODIs. He was discarded after 14 random ODIs. Rohit played about 80-90 ODIs with average of 30 and SR in 70s. What if Rohit was discarded then, we wouldn't have seen current Rohit. This TM hasn't been brave enough  and has panicked after a very few failures.

Agree. His test spot is gone for good now with Shaw and agarwal coming. He'll remain a limited overs player, t20 is his best format I think. 

1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

And let him play only ODIs and T20s...

Trying him in Tests will screw his ODI form....we have seen this before...

Rahul can be tried in place of Rahane in Tests. There is just no point in continuing with Rahane. 

1 hour ago, chewy said:

Rahul has his own game, he has been circumsuspect in this WC, but has more potential to be explosive than Rohit.

As good as Rohit has been and probably an all time ODI great

Rather have an explosive Opener averaging 40 plus with SR of 110plus in today's era

India has plenty of good batsmen coming through the ranks who can pick up the slack.

Rohit is a cautious opener ..  don't think world has seen anyone better than Rohit when comes to effortless hitting

45 minutes ago, Pollack said:

You mean coming good after 150+ matches and then 60-70 more matches to be awesome but still requiring dropped catches every other match?

150+ is a stretch, but 86.  His first 86 matches till from 2007 till the end of of 2012.  Also Rohit debuted at the age of 20 on Aus tour 2008.  Even after his failures for five years, he was younger than Rahul 25 and 27 Rahul now.  Rahul has less time in his hand to leave the same impact. 

Career averages
  Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff  
unfiltered 2007-2019 214 8657 264 49.18 27 8 2/27 64.37 0 77 0 -15.18 Profile
filtered 2007-2012 86 1978 114 30.43 2 8 2/27 56.25 0 32 0 -25.81

Here is his record since Jan 2013.  125 matches and it is as good as Kohli's, scoring 25 hundreds in 128 matches.  He scored his first double hundred in 2013.

Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff  
unfiltered 2007-2019 214 8657 264 49.18 27 8 2/27 64.37 0 77 0 -15.18 Profile
filtered 2013-2019 128 6679 264 60.17 25 0 - - 0 45 0 -

2 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

why stick with Rahul when we have better all round, all conditional compact players??  I think Mayank should be given chances.

Mayank has his own share of technical issue and that to a lot ......but when ur in purple patch it doesnt come out....wait till he hits a bad patch his problem wud be evident to. Rahul is far superior player then mayank in every aspect only diff is one going through a purple patch and another a rough patch