Steve Waugh hits the nail on it's head.

15 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Glad to find atleast few people on this forum who acknowledge we are a country of idiots hero worshippers since I am struggling to find any in real life. :phehe: All I am hearing about is how Dhoni could have won the match if not for the unfortunate run-out.

The exact thing is happening to me in my college. All are Dhoni worshippers, praising h etc.

24 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Glad to find atleast few people on this forum who acknowledge we are a country of idiots hero worshippers since I am struggling to find any in real life. :phehe: All I am hearing about is how Dhoni could have won the match if not for the unfortunate run-out.

it was not unfortunate at all.  it was the panic that Dhoni had created for himself from 30 ball 53 to 12 ball 31.  He knew he had to play every ball and even then with his current abilities, it was not sure he could do that.  look at the ball he got run out, it was like ball hitting his bat rather than him hitting the ball.  Jaddu was batting at 130 SR when he was batting at 28 of 52 at 55 SR.

36 minutes ago, Pollack said:

21 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

The exact thing is happening to me in my college. All are Dhoni worshippers, praising h etc.

I am surprised at the difference in opinions about Dhoni on ICF and in other areas of life.

Even all the sensible Dhoni fans on ICF acknowledge that he needs to retire now and is well past his best.

Whereas the casual cricket followers seem to have a very different opinion.  (  Although I have met a few people who make fun of his low strike rates and too many dot balls  )

30 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I am surprised at the difference in opinions about Dhoni on ICF and in other areas of life.

Even all the sensible Dhoni fans on ICF acknowledge that he needs to retire now and is well past his best.

Whereas the casual cricket followers seem to have a very different opinion.  (  Although I have met a few people who make fun of his low strike rates and too many dot balls  )

Dhoni’s reputation from his inform days has planted a seed that he can never do anything wrong. 

Their memories are short, the only refresher they get is from the commentators who never forget to remind us how great a player/finisher he is, naturally they tend to pin the blame elsewhere - dhoni tried but was unlucky, umpiring flaw, pitch was slow...

Edited by IndianRenegade

Why don't we have any like minded ex-cricketers in our country?

Why blame the casual Indian fans when we have plethora of of our ex-cricketers who are equally dumb and do hero worship?

I blame our ex-cricketers more than casuals , they should speak up, they should be first to know what **** is being cooked up while selecting squad

Edited by shami_123
12 minutes ago, shami_123 said:

Why don't we have any like minded ex-cricketers in our country?

Why blame the casual Indian fans when we have plethora of of our ex-cricketers who are equally dumb and do hero worship?

I blame our ex-cricketers more than casuals , they should speak up, they should be first to know what **** is being cooked up while selecting squad

Agreed.

just my opinion on why they aren’t doing it is, because anyone whose opinion has any weight were hero’s themselves who didn’t recognize their sell by date, hung around too long & either had to slowly sidelined or forced out. They empathize with what’s happening with the current heros.

The current hero’s are firmly in control at BCCI, why loose on the gravy train by trying to be too honest?

Edited by IndianRenegade
3 minutes ago, Kiraisjustice said:

Why do you always have to bring your irrelevant players into discussion, the problem with pak is that you guys have no talent , hafeez is your best player, we on the other hand have better players than dhoni.. You guys already acheived more than your aukaat by reaching 5th, we on the other hand underachieved by not winning the cup

Damn ! :lol:

8 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Agreed.

just my opinion on why they aren’t doing it is, because anyone whose opinion has any weight were hero’s themselves who didn’t recognize their sell by date, hung around too long & either had to slowly sidelined or forced out. They empathize with what’s happening with the current heros.

The current hero’s are firmly in control at BCCI, why loose on the gravy train by trying to be too honest?

It is a vicious cycle... From Gavaskar to Kapil to Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman to Sachin, Sehwag to Yuvraj, Dhoni and will proceed to Kohli, Rohit, Dhawan and then the youngsters who look up to them. They just don't know when to let it go!

9 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Your team never deserved to win this World Cup

Yes. A team which ends up top of the table after playing every other team does not deserve to win the world cup just because the middle order is not as good as the top order. 

Great logic ! Shabash ! :clap:

By the way , your only world cup win was as undeserving as it gets for all the reasons you know and here you are lecturing about who deserves and who not. 

Keep going.  You're doing good. 

Edited by Norman
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

I

Whereas the casual cricket followers seem to have a very different opinion

Casual cricket followers don't see stats or otherwise or follow cricket regularly...They only remembers  91 runs he scored  against SL in 2011.

22 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

So a past his expiry date middle order wicketkeeper batmen, with young fresh talent who lack experience in the middle order is a great team to win the World Cup? You knew damn well your only hope was with Rohit and Kohli. In this day an age teams are easily exposed by other teams watching clips. There is no way your team was gonna win this thing with only two batsmen. 

Lol I like how you bring up 1992 World Cup. A lot has changed buddy. Just face the facts and move on. Your team was not good enough.

And even with that "past his expiry date wicket keeper"  and even while having "only two batsmen"  , we topped the table winning more games than any other team. And that too after allegedly "throwing away" the game against England. :flute:

If that doesn't shout out deserving winners (if we'd have won) , then I don't know what would. :dontknow: 

At the same time , I can't really blame you for this bias against India but atleast don't make it seem apparent. 

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

No one wants to have a rational discussion. you have two extreme opinions. 

17 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Not really your middle order was not exposed much in the group stages besides against England. Rohit had to hit centuries and Kohli had to score his 50s to keep you in. With great bowling performance from Bumrah and Shami. You guys nearly lost to Afganistan. Dhawan’s injury did not help your case either. For majority of the tournament your team too was overachieving. In the knockout stages its more difficult to hide your weakness. That is where teams change there tempo. They come harder for the win. Rohit was bound to get a game where he fails to score, alongside Kohli. In hindsight your team lost when those two got out cheaply. In the last match it proved that. Your team cannot chase a 240 total without Kohli and Rohit. And you come here to say just cause you topped the group stages you deserved to win? Thats very laughable to me.

This is not being biased its a observation that you even know but just cause its coming from your neighbor your taking it as bias. 

All those ifs, buts , hindsights , bound to etc matter rat **** in practical world. Come out of your bias (I know you won't) and accept it. India were the best team of the tournament until the Semi and if we had won , it's because we fully deserve it.

Anyways, your logic is flawed to the core. It's like saying Australia did not deserve to win the 2007 world cup just because they were over dependent on  Hayden and Gilchrist (who btw scored most of the Aussie runs that WC). If this sounded stupid , then you too are right now.