T Natarajan could make his debut at the SCG - TOI

Stan AF

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

But we don't need to gamble on 'risk' because our front-line bowlers are proven to be effective - With Boomrah, Ash, Jaddu and Siraj, the primary factor for me is for that 5th  bowler to maintain the pressure and not become the weak link that leaks.  I don't need to gamble with that type of risk in pursuit of wickets because the main guys are doing the job.  

It's a bit tricky here...

Australian lower order is the most gutsy lower order I've seen, especially Pat Cummins who is capable of saving a test match by facing unlimited balls. So we need someone like Saini who could bowl fast bouncers and clean the tail up with his pace.

At the same time, Natarajan's late swing might be a trump card, because both Bumrah and Siraj are hit the deck seam bowlers. If Natarajan can swing it like Philander or Terry Alderman, he will be a match winner. Also he can bowl long spells due to his low pace and give Bumrah/Siraj enough time to cool down.

I guess Rahane knows the best here, he's an uncomplicated person.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Looks like more batsmen were beaten for pace more than anything. Good pace though. These lines are good for Indian pitches but need to pitch further up because Aussies will leave on length if its shorter than full/good length even if its on the stumps. Definitely better than Nataraj or Shardul

Also he was a bit flustered by extra bounce in Australia..  I don't think his length is the problem as that comes natural to him & he is successful through that.  One thing I noticed in ODIs & Warm ups is that he is giving too much room to play square cuts.  Siraj & Bumrah have barely let them do that in MCG.  Bharat Arun last tour said Cut & pull need to be restricted to trouble Aussies & now they are following same set of plans.  Saini if plays needs to follow the lead.  If he gets pulled then no worries but should  not allow them to play cuts.  Cramp them a bit. 

4 hours ago, Khota said:

We have two resident fast bowling experts here. Let us see what their views are.

@Rightarmfast @express bowling

::P le rahe ho kya?

I'd say who needs Australian team to beat India when you have the Indian selectors? 

Saini could be the worst bowler in the world, but he is still a genuine test bowler. He has played longer format at every level. He can always be used to soften batsmen up with his bouncers and pace. 

Natarajan could be the best T20 bowler in the world, but he is still just a T20 bowler. His only strength is yorkers and death over bowling. Neither of the qualities are required in Test cricket. 

I would say Saini is a good choice for Tests. I'd go as far as choosing Tyagi over Natarajan because that way I am investing in future because choosing either Natarajan or Tyagi would result in a loss. 

Thats my honest opinion.

If Shastri selects Natrajan, I will personally go to Sydney and ask to have his head examined. Noway a trundler like Natarjan who offers nothing other than being left armer should play ahead of Saini.It will setup Inidan pace program if they select this guy over Saini.

Bowling in T20s is the same as bowling in test cricket.

2 hours ago, ash said:

This is the only video I can find for Nattu in FC. Not an expert but he seems to be bringing the ball in to the right handers ( experts can confirm) If he pitches it full, can be a threat. But definitely not hit the deck kind of bowler like Bumrah or Siraj. 

Natarajan is bowling mostly between 123 k to 126 k in this video.

This does not work in test cricket for most seamers.

Edited by express bowling
12 minutes ago, Pandya_Power said:

Saini is a better prospect than Siraj. He should not be discounted based solely on his LOI performance. IMO, he has better control and brings mroe to the table than Siraj. I'd definitely play both at SCG, if Umesh does not recover.

Thing is like TM we as fans also make our judgement based on performance delivered in different format

Moronic selectors kept playing Siraj in t20s(too little though) naturally not being his stronger suite he failed and majority of them thought he isn't good enough,Saini too is a red bowl bowler but being tad better he didn't do that bad in white ball cricket except in just concluded odi series,but many of them have forgetten he has been among top performers in domestic cricket be it 17/18 Ranji Season ,18/19 Vijay Hazare He shouldn't be judged in red ball cricket untill he plays one for India

17 hours ago, Gollum said:

Shardul if he plays will end Smith's career. One thing for GOAT to get bullied by Ash/Bumrah, but if Lord Shardul owns him in his home city, maybe a sign from above.  

Is Shardul really that good with the ball?

Edit: Ah, okay. Sarcasm there

Edited by MechEng
13 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Now there is BCCI source based talk of Shardul playing ahead of Saini/Natarajan, the reason being he bats better than the other two!

Not a bad decision when we consider the fact that Pujara is not comfortable against pace and Rahane survived due to drops from Aussie fielders. 

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

One does not pick the No.9 based on his batting abilities.

That is a very defensive mindset.

Yes, I want to pick from Natarajan/Saini/Kuldeep over Shardul.

Kuldeep if it is a traditional turning SCG pitch.

Saini if it is a hard bouncy pitch or a greentop.

Natarajan if he can get late swing at full lengths, but for that he needs to be examined in the nets if he's able to swing the kookaburra late or not. 

Edited by MechEng
21 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Now there is BCCI source based talk of Shardul playing ahead of Saini/Natarajan, the reason being he bats better than the other two!

Saini's highest score in international cricket is 45. He is no muck with the bat.

While batsman Shardul has a highest score of 22 in international cricket after 29 matches and a highest score of 15 in the IPL after 45 matches.