"Kohli messaged around 12:30 am the night we were bowled out for 36": India's fielding coach reveals 'Mission Melbourne'

India fielding coach R Sridhar has spoken about a surprise midnight call he received from India skipper Virat Kohli and a few details about the conversations that were part of Kohli handing over the reins to Ajinkya Rahane for the best part of the Australia series.

Speaking on Ravichandran Ashwin’s YouTube channel, Sridhar said: “It was midnight, around 12.30 am, the night we lost the Adelaide Test. Virat Kohli messaged me: ‘What are you doing?’ I was shocked. I thought ‘why is he messaging at this time?’ I told him ‘head coach (Ravi Shastri), myself, Bharat Arun and Vikram Rathour are sitting together’. He said, ‘I’ll also join you’. I said, ‘no problem, come over.’

“He came there and all of us started discussing. That’s where ‘Mission Melbourne’ began. Shastri made a point there: ‘This 36, wear it like a badge! This 36 is what will make this team great’,” said Sridhar.

Kohli was the highest scorer for India in the 1st Test, in which they were dismissed for 36 in the second innings, but returned to India after that match to be with his wife at the time of the birth of his first child.

Sridhar recalled that Kohli and Rahane had a discussion as to what would be the way forward for the team for the remainder of the series.

“We were slightly confused but then we started talking about the decisions we’d have to take. Then Virat called Ajinkya the next morning and we had a very good discussion. After a 36 all-out, usually, teams would strengthen their batting. But Ravi Shastri, Virat, and Ajinkya decided to strengthen the bowling. That’s how we replaced Virat with Ravindra Jadeja, and it was a masterstroke,” concluded Sridhar.

3 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Sridhar needs to keep his job. Our fielding was the worst part of the series, yet no one else s questioning his job

yes it was a bad fielding performance, he acknowledged the fear for his job in the interview too, but that mean this conversation didn't happen. Its not reporting from some anonymous source, Sridhar is on record saying this happened. 

4 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Sridhar is on record saying this happened. 

It probably did happen lol, it's not out of ordinary for two captains to have a call. What he's implying here is that Kohli has a big part in Melbourne win. Like in a movie, he called from airport and gave a rousing speech to the troops.. like Aragon at the end of return of the king, rahane looked back at the team and said "for kohli" before running into the ground

the lord of the rings GIF

8 minutes ago, Serpico said:

It probably did happen lol, it's not out of ordinary for two captains to have a call. What he's implying here is that Kohli has a big part in Melbourne win. Like in a movie, he called from airport and gave a rousing speech to the troops.. like Aragon at the end of return of the king, rahane looked back at the team and said "for kohli" before running into the ground

Quite possible. 

34 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Sridhar needs to keep his job. Our fielding was the worst part of the series, yet no one else s questioning his job

He was humble enough in the interview to admit that ppl would question his results and Ashwin made some jibes at him too,will probably be given some more time as we did come back with a win here.

18 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Poor fielding coach had to add Kohli's name as an afterthought. If Kohli really cared so much, he would have quit captaincy out of sheer shame. But then since when have small things like a string of test losses mattered to captain choker and his cheerleaders

Under kohli captaincy india won the 4 test macs. Don't forget. First rahane should contribute with bat.  Then management thinking about captaincy change. Now Kohli is perfect for test captain.

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

Actually, He didn't say any of those things. He just said they all had a discussion on the way forward, he didn't credit Kohli or anything. Its just that Indian Express decided to run with this headline.