10 days to Chennai. Shut down the celebrations and interviews.

Kohli will be eager to prove a point, both as batsman and skipper. Also Rohit, Che, Kohli, Pant haven't scored 100s in a long time...Gill yet to score one. Motivation will be high.

Good in a way that Rohit arrived in Aus late, so will be more fresh. Bumrah, Ash had rest after 3rd test, few players (Rahane, Che, Ash...) had their families with them in Aus. Kohli, Axar, Ishant, Kuly will be itching to take the field, no cricket in a long time for them. 

In comparison to SA in 2019,England is much stronger side.Archer can wreak havoc on any kind of pitch with his sheer pace and accuracy.Their spinners have done great job in SL.Root and Stokes are in their prime.Therefore,it is going to be a tough series.

33 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kohli will be eager to prove a point, both as batsman and skipper. Also Rohit, Che, Kohli, Pant haven't scored 100s in a long time...Gill yet to score one. Motivation will be high.

Good in a way that Rohit arrived in Aus late, so will be more fresh. Bumrah, Ash had rest after 3rd test, few players (Rahane, Che, Ash...) had their families with them in Aus. Kohli, Axar, Ishant, Kuly will be itching to take the field, no cricket in a long time for them. 

I just hope Mayank plays - that guy is a beast at home and can put up that big double hundred that the team will need.  But unlikely for T1, especially if all the top order bats are fit - Puji, Rohit, etc.  

I have a feeling Gill is going to get dismissed cheaply a couple of times early in the series....

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I just hope Mayank plays - that guy is a beast at home and can put up that big double hundred that the team will need.  But unlikely for T1, especially if all the top order bats are fit - Puji, Rohit, etc.  

I have a feeling Gill is going to get dismissed cheaply a couple of times early in the series....

I want Mayank to open with Rohit and Gill at #5, Pant at #6. Rahane is a waste of a spot in India. 

46 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Is our expectation not too high ? Whatever is seen so far , one fear is that right now he may find swing a bit tough to face and to boot that he will face  Andu  for the first time .  So there will be some hiccups . Since he is a free flowing batsmen he needs to guard for change of pace from Broad too while driving on offside .

In fact even in FC (  poor quality teams) , he has made 50+ only 20 times out of 44 attempts !  My expectation is 50% success to reach 40+ in 8 innings .

1 hour ago, vaul said:

In comparison to SA in 2019,England is much stronger side.Archer can wreak havoc on any kind of pitch with his sheer pace and accuracy.Their spinners have done great job in SL.Root and Stokes are in their prime.Therefore,it is going to be a tough series.

Rabada is a far better red ball bowler than Archer, it isn't even a contest. And we handled him just fine in 2019.

Maharaj is a better spinner than anyone from England since Swann/Monty retirements. 

This English side is good, but let us not overrate them based on their performance against a bunch of schoolkids in Lanka. 

Say we play 3+2 attack, likely XIs in Chepauk.

Rohit>Sibley

Gill>Burns

Che>Lawrence/Crawley? (Bairstow unavailable, remember? and their best batsman Root will stay at #4 after his recent exploits)

Kohli=Root

Rahane<Stokes

Pant=Buttler

Sundar/Axar<Moeen (based on reputation, reality may be different)

Ashwin>Bess

Ishant=Archer/Broad (only cause Lambu is coming back from injury)

Bumrah>Anderson

Siraj>Leach

The way I see it Ind 6, Eng 2 and 3 positions equal in strength.

46 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

In fact even in FC (  poor quality teams) , he has made 50+ only 20 times out of 44 attempts ! 

That is quite good actually.

For reference, Dravid has 86 scores of 50+ from 211 FC innings excluding test matches .... 41 %

Tendulkar has 78 scores of 50+ from 161 innings excluding tests .... 48 %

For Gill it is 18 scores of 50+ from 38 innings excluding tests .... 47 %

Edited by express bowling
48 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Since he is a free flowing batsmen he needs to guard for change of pace from Broad too while driving on offside .

This is how he got out in his NZ ODI debut game if I remember right.  

49 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Is our expectation not too high ?

yeah, I was sort of alluding to that point about the unrealistic expectations of fans - if he plays the first 2 tests and doesn't put up a big score, you will start to see the true colors of some of the fair-feather faandus even on this forum.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

That is quite good actually .... 45%

For reference, Dravid has 86 scores of 50+ from 211 FC innings excluding test matches .... 41 %

You did not get me .  I was commenting to below quote 

"I have a feeling Gill is going to get dismissed cheaply a couple of times early in the series...."

2 failures out of 8 possible innings . Such high expectations from a player of 3 tests ?. 

Just pointing out , he has  not achieved such things even in his domestic matches with poor quality teams.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

This is how he got out in his NZ ODI debut game if I remember right.  

yeah, I was sort of alluding to that point about the unrealistic expectations of fans - if he plays the first 2 tests and doesn't put up a big score, you will start to see the true colors of some of the fair-feather faandus even on this forum.

Yes . Agree fully.

We are not done till our coach motormouth thunders "this is the greatest test series win ever in the history of cricket".

Contrast how after the 2018 series win our coach Captain duo roared "we are in the same league as WI and Aus sides" to the stories this time about how greatly Kohli planned everything for Rahane and what a great coach Shastri is.