Most intelligent among top quality cricketers

Vk1

From the guys that I have seen in action for a considerable time (from 1990), more or less in of debut: 

Dave Houghton 

Imran Khan

Miandad 

Ranatunga 

Martin Crowe

Steve Waugh

Wasim

Mark Taylor 

Warne

McGrath

Cronje 

Gilchrist 

Nasser Husain 

Jayawardene  

Sangakkara 

Dhoni 

Rohit 

Pujara 

SDP (can make a cool captain) 

and many more ...

^ you can make a good 11 out of the above 

If I have to pick one, will go with Crowe! 

Edited by zen
15 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Hardly, did you see some of his comments during the last Oz series? I'd say Gilly/Mcgrath/Steve Waugh are the ones that come straight to mind!

he does say things which sometimes  can become controversial.. however his cricketing acumen, awareness of game is top class

19 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

he does say things which sometimes  can become controversial.. however his cricketing acumen, awareness of game is top class

Maybe maybe not, I'd say a lot of the batters got out because he was Warne - part of Oz greatest ever lineup! He bamboozled them for sure but a lot more were just overawed & fell to the name - take Lara, SRT, VVS, Sehwag, Sanath, Aravinda etc. How many batters played Warne just like another spinner or had the ability to? IMO McGrath was the superior brain of the two, Warne though had more ability - he could do what McGrath or arguably any other bowler couldn't - like that SF/finals performances in 99 WC!

Edited by R!TTER
50 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

He was droning on and on and on about how AUS should declare early in both Sydney and Brisbane tests. The more he speaks, the more we learn he's a 'tard of Kohli's calibre.

Begs the question:

What is a better metric to judge a cricketers' "game intelligence": his reading of the game as an analyst or his on field exploits?

By the nature of the game, a spinner always has to be more intelligent than a fast bowler to be as successful. The use of guile and a pronounced thought process are necessary to get the better of a batsman. Whereas a speedster relies mainly on musculature. Biased question!

I'd rate Kumble and Warne right up among the smarter ones I've seen.

Edited by Mariyam

Citing instances would be a good idea:

During an India vs BD game, when the fielder threw the ball towards Dhoni, he feigned a misfield. The batsman ran for the second and got run out.

To pull that off taking a split second decision while collecting the ball! And making it look convincing so that the batsman ran for the second. 

:hatsoff:to Dhoni's reading of the game/people.