What would have happened if India didn't win the Cup in 2011?

Tomorrow marks the 10th anniversary for the 2011 win. How different do you think Indian cricket would have looked in the past decade if we lost in the finals? 

Tell your alternative universe stories here

Edited by Serpico
15 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Depends on the losing scenario in this alternative universe.

Did Tendulkar get caught on one of the 3 or 4 times he was dropped and we lose to Pak in the semi? That would be traumatic.

Pak might have gone on to win it in numbai.

Need more specifics. 

We go out at the group stages by losing the games to England (with Swann smashing the last ball through the covers), South Africa and West Indies (devon smith scoring a hundred)?

We lost the quarter final to Australia by collapsing after that Gambhir runout?

We lost the Semi to Pakistan with Umar Akmal scoring a vital 85(72)... (Now this scenario has the most severe repercussions for obvious reasons)..

We lost the final to Sri Lanka after being reduced to 23/4 by Malinga?

If we had lost the final..  It would have dented Indian cricket no doubt but not a huge impact I reckon.  That 8-0 that followed in Eng & Aus probably did great damage. 

However if we had lost that Semi to Pak & Pakistan somehow managed to lift the trophy in Mumbai considering couple of years after Mumbai attack..  The entire scenario could have been very different.  I am so glad it never happened.  I wouldn't have been able to take it as a kid. 

20 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

If we had lost the final..  It would have dented Indian cricket no doubt but not a huge impact I reckon.  That 8-0 that followed in Eng & Aus probably did great damage. 

However if we had lost that Semi to Pak & Pakistan somehow managed to lift the trophy in Mumbai considering couple of years after Mumbai attack..  The entire scenario could have been very different.  I am so glad it never happened.  I wouldn't have been able to take it as a kid. 

8-0 was psychologically scarring, even the 1990s side with MSK Prasad, Kuruvilla, Mohanty and etc. would have not lost that badly. It damaged me irreversibly as a cricket fan also because of the timing of the losses right after drawing the test series against ATG South Africa side and winning the world cup.

Just now, Serpico said:

Why does this change

Media and fans would have grilled the team mercilessly to the point that team prepares seriously for the test series in the UK. Tendulkar would have retired right after the England tour and knowing that it would be the last time he plays international cricket, he would sign off with a blast.

l know both events are not co-relative but I ll take another world cup win if it means another 8-0 in test cricket. World Cup remains elusive for a cricket mad country like ours. 2011 one came 28 years later & we have already fast forwarded another 10 years.

Co-relating 8-0 disaster with this great World Cup win is foolish. It doesn't work that way. Those test debacles just proved India were not the world's best test side, just a very good side depended on conditions & limited number of bowlers with a reluctant test captain & some ageing players to boot. It all came together for worse for Indian cricket. 

Now, Indian cricket is in even more enviable position. There are plethora of resources, Indian cricket should dominate & overcrowd that trophy cabinet of ours. 

Now onto the question of the thread, no one could have stopped India from winning that world cup, it was the best team for conditions & work in progress ever since Dhoni took ever. So, in alternate universe, Pakistanis will still be crying for their semi final loss & then the eventual Indian win in the finals

Edited by SK_IH
16 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Sachin wud have had immediately retired 

lol this is the guy who tuk tuked his way till end of 2013 after winning it. You really think he would have retired ?  Man had plans to play 2015 lol before he was chopped.

Sachin would have retired, even Dhoni's captaincy could have come under scrutiny because untill final he had not performed and it would have been India's 4th consecutive failure under Dhoni in ICC tournament after flop show at 2 t20 wc 2009,2010 and Ct2009. Other than that, nothing would have changed. Pakistan winning would not have affected much as we have seen it in Ct17 but I  doubt they would have won it if not for India, Australia would have won it for the 4th time, even with weak team, they almost pulled it off against us at Ahmedabad. 

Man in the High Castle Scenario.. alternate history.. i guess we would have then performed better in the 2011 England series which followed.. players would have played for their lives.. same goes for the Aus series.. who knows 

Nothing would change. Washerman Cement nexus would be powerful enough to withstand external forces. IPL would go on as usual, Zak would be limping on day one, RP would be summoned & we'd still have 8-0.

Did Kohli lose his captaincy with his empty cupboard & test losses in Eng, NZ & SA ? At least they had the excuse of seniors & got rid of them in Dhoni's time, proud husband still can't pick a squad between formats. 

Edited by Clarke