Is having Two IPl's in 6 months bit of an overkill?

Lone Wolf

I don't know why this IPl season hasn't been able to reach the level of previous season or even remotely close to that...  At least up to this point.  Maybe coz of Venues,  the awful pitches or probably it indeed is an overkill. 

Anyone having same feeling about it? 

Edited by Lone Wolf

10 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

It's the awful pitches which have resulted in sub-standard quality of cricket. 

No wonder the viewership is down by 15-20% despite multiple states announcing lockdowns. If BCCI does not wake up soon, the viewership will only go down further, eroding the value.

I know it will be hard to top off last season as it was just breathtaking cricket overall..  But indeed the Chennai leg so far is unbearable to watch.  And we have seen what Motera is all about too in Eng T20Is. 

Hopefully BCCI does better job in those venues... As far as pitches are concerned. 

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

I don't know why this IPl season hasn't been able to reach the level of previous season or even remotely close to that...  At least up to this point.  Maybe coz of Venues,  the awful pitches or probably it indeed is an overkill. 

Anyone having same feeling about it? 

Any idea about the TRP ratings for the first few games this season vs the last one?

That should reflect public sentiment accurately.

6 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Any idea about the TRP ratings for the first few games this season vs the last one?

For the opening game - a dip of 15%, 9.7 billion viewing minutes this year vs 11.2.

Hotstar app also saw a dip of nearly 20% from ~8.5 million viewers last year to around 6.7 million this year for the opening game.

Average Hotstar viewership has been in the range of 4-5 millions in subsequent matches

14 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This is about ratings for at least  1 & 2 game &,  it says about quite a downfall

https://m.republicworld.com/sports-news/cricket-news/ipl-2021-live-streaming-fails-to-see-increase-in-viewership-1st-2-games-bring-low-numbers.html

Last few game have been even more poor quality  so I guess numbers won't be too good either. 

Here in the UK I’ve actually watched more of it than usual and know a lot of people the same, because of the lockdowns. I’ve enjoyed the pitches as well. You don’t want to see 180-200 get chased down every single day but there have been a good variety of types of games and results so far, unlike the PSL

Edited by YCCC

I am enjoying this ipl. Much better contest between bat and ball and I prefer 150-160 matches than 200+ where anyone can come out and slog

these pitches actually test your technique and ability and can’t just hit through the line from ball 1

as for ratings, most of the countries have opened up, earlier start time, you have other series going on at the same time so that could have something to do with it

IPL first few games get you going then it becomes an overkill, then again picks up right before the knockouts.

I don’t think 2 back to back IPL’s make a difference. There will still be a lull period and then interest will be Sky high as always during the knockout stages.

It feels like that every year because the tournament goes on for too long.

Edited by Global.Baba

This IPL is definitely below par as compared to the last one where the interest level was much higher. On top of that matches so far are very boring. Even in ICF there is not much traffic...normally its busiest during IPL time but not the case this time. I have not watched a single full game so far this season.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk