Most watchable test innings in recent times?

I always believed that KL Rahul was an elite talent ever since his debut.  And for all that , his test career has been underwhelming and he underachieved significantly for the last 6-7 years and he was especially weak against the nip backer. But the Rahul we have seen in the last 2 matches has been compact with a solid defense and has shown the ability to score runs in difficult conditions . These were tough batting conditions at Lord's with massive seam and swing movement. 

But its not the runs themselves but the manner in which he has scored that has impressed me greatly. Run-making did not look like a chore when he was at the crease and he played in an elegant, composed manner that has been missing in Indian batting for far too long. Reminded me of the VVS - Dravid combo and maybe even Azhar at his best. None of that poking at the ball with hard hands but caressing ,almost coaxing , the ball with the swing /seam direction. 

Important, tough  runs but also very aesthetically very pleasing especially when he was looking to play on the rise. Dont think I have enjoyed watching batting of this quality in a long time . 

Edited by Nikhil_cric

Truly a wonderful knock but IMO a few others in the last 8-9 months itself have been better/ equally good

Rahane's 100 at MCG vs Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon in the aftermath of 36 all out. (one of the best ever innings for me)

Pant's heroics in Australia for its audacity

Rohit's 161 on a square turner vs England when we were 0-1 down

Pant's 100 and Sundar's 96* in the 4th test on a tough pitch.

Others inns mentioned by posters are indeed quality & better in terms of impact. 

KL Rahul's ton was like the one you say stylish sexy & strokes were absolute top tier.  That's how you bat in England. 

Kohli's ton in 2018 were decent at best but not the ones you remember. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
On 8/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Others inns mentioned by posters are indeed quality & better in terms of impact. 

KL Rahul's ton was like the one you say stylish sexy & strokes were absolute top tier.  That's how you bat in England. 

Kohli's ton in 2018 were decent at best but not the ones you remember. 

Absolutely. I wasnt saying it's the most impactful knock played by our batsmen. It just had a very silken quality to it.  Among current batsmen only an in form Root and Williamson have that quality. 

9 hours ago, adi B said:

Kumar roach's 27 against poyzz 

Why these people celebrate even before winning the match? Hasan Ali was celebrating tail ender wicket as he won the match. After losing, he was visibly humiliated and frustrated. what sort of mental hardness in general these professional cricketers from Pakistan have. 

1 hour ago, Nash said:

Why these people celebrate even before winning the match? Hasan Ali was celebrating tail ender wicket as he won the match. After losing, he was visibly humiliated and frustrated. what sort of mental hardness in general these professional cricketers from Pakistan have. 

it's because getting even the wkts of a minnow like WI is a big deal for Poyzz.