Stokes retires from ODI cricket

4 hours ago, Vijy said:

bumrah in particular should cut down on ODIs a lot, and only play regularly prior to ODI WCs to get back into the groove - the 2023 and 2027 editions (latter assumes he is still fit and in form).

I don't think Bumrah should play too many bilateral T20's either . We need him at his fastest for test matches and he won't be skipping IPL either.

I thought he'd play the next world cup in 2023 and then give it a call ,it's only a year from now and could have had the opportunity to defend their title . But on the other hand he has achieved the pinnacle in this format and mot much left to achieve .

Needs to preserve his body for t20 leagues around the world as well.

Over all a Smart move ,I can see him bidding farewell in the test format as well after a couple of seasons at max 

Good decision..I still think he is replaceable in LOIs. England will find somebody else and it is mostly due to fact that he has become test captain. I think he already had taken break for mental health around 2-3 yrs ago. Test Cricket is tough, and the amount of matches they play,it has become very difficult to cope up with it. People here should watch "The Edge" BBC documentary on England's test side, Johnathan Trott talks about his struggle with stress and concentration issue and hectic schedule and what it means to play test cricket for England..

20 hours ago, Nikola said:

I know stokes has been clutch performer in worldcup in this format for his country but if i look overall career in odis i will pick flintoff over him in odis for england's all time xi.

flintoff over stokes in ODIs is a viable proposition, if one sets aside WCs alone and looks at whole career. flint was a lesser bat (not by much) but a better bowler than stokes.

An underwhelming career overall, obvious highlight being great ,albeit luck filled,innings in the WC final 2019

Also makes me appreciate Indian cricketers who play 3 formats+ IPL. Easy to run away from one and still chase money. Stokes has done that Morgan less England needed him,specially Buttler. Has taken a 'break' before too.

19 hours ago, The Realist said:

Go out at the top. Leave people wanting more. Shrewd.

It's the complete opposite with Kohli and Co.

Always thought thats a selfish approach. If you are at top of your game,it means you can contribute to the team and to go will leave team weaker

Ofcourse once you are in decline,you shouldn't hang on. But then the selectors need to have balls to drop non performers too.

35 minutes ago, Vijy said:

flintoff over stokes in ODIs is a viable proposition, if one sets aside WCs alone and looks at whole career. flint was a lesser bat (not by much) but a better bowler than stokes.

Stokes was barely a bowler in LOIs. Collingwood level bowler,just faster.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

Stokes was barely a bowler in LOIs. Collingwood level bowler,just faster.

much better than colly because stokes played almost completely post-2015 when crazy high scores started to become very common. on the other hand, colly operated in a more bowler friendly period (in relative terms). stokes > colly in ODIs as bowler. arguably better or comparable in batting, even after discounting his higher avg & SR.