Stokes retires from ODI cricket

Just now, puneet28 said:

hmm... stokes as a bat was v. good in the second half of his short ODI career. could have almost been selected as a pure batter. however, when the entire career is taken into account, he did not do full justice to his talent - makes sense since his priority was Tests and T20s (latter for monetary reasons too).

Why aren't English players mentally tough? Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott and now Stokes taking retirement early due to stress. Either our Indian players just keep on stretching due to expectations or we are actually tough!

I would have expected Stokes to play at least till next year world cup. 

Edited by puneet28
Just now, puneet28 said:

Why aren't English players mentally tough? Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott and now Stokes taking retirement early due to stress. Either our Indian players just keep on stretching due to expectations or we are actually tough!

eng cricketers prioritize tests strongly over ODIs. t20s are a diff matter because of their lucrativeness in private leagues. given that stokes is an AR + test captain + high no. of tests for eng + playing in T20 leagues, it makes sense that he is giving up on ODIs. Eng without stokes in ODIs are weaker, but not substantially. he is more crucial in tests

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

eng cricketers prioritize tests strongly over ODIs. t20s are a diff matter because of their lucrativeness in private leagues. given that stokes is an AR + test captain + high no. of tests for eng + playing in T20 leagues, it makes sense that he is giving up on ODIs. Eng without stokes in ODIs are weaker, but not substantially. he is more crucial in tests

Guess we will see this trend more often now. People priortising test and T20s. ODIs will soon become obsolete.

1 minute ago, puneet28 said:

Guess we will see this trend more often now. People priortising test and T20s. ODIs will soon become obsolete.

they already are. apart from WC and CT, most tourneys don't matter apart from Asia Cup to a degree.

He wasn't looking interested as well when ever i saw him play on this tour. I saw it coming in t20 format post wc though cause there is odi world coming up next year. With Morgan & Stokes retired now, Buttler looking bit clueless as a captain so i don't think England is as big threat as everyone expected to be. If only our top order changes we should win this easily.

Edited by Nikola
25 minutes ago, puneet28 said:

Dragging retirement till the world cup is exactly the kind of thing western players avoid and props to them for that! They retire as soon as they realise they don't enjoy playing anymore. Stokes could have easily carried on till 2023 on the strength of his 2019 final performance but doing so would mean he is not at his 100% mentally. Appreciate his honesty and graceful exit.

Just now, nevada said:

Dragging retirement till the world cup is exactly the kind of thing western players avoid and props to them for that! They retire as soon as they realise they don't enjoy playing anymore. Stokes could have easily carried on till 2023 on the strength of his 2019 final performance but doing so would mean he is not at his 100% mentally. Appreciate his honesty and graceful exit.

given his age, if he sustained form, even 2027 WC was feasible (would have been 36 then). on the other hand, I fully expect our current ODI top 3 to not only play 2023 WC but also the 2027 edition

This should hardly be a surprise. He has played 163 FC matches, 175 List A matches and 148 T20 matches. 

Nobody exemplifies the intensity of modern day cricket like Ben stokes. Gives it everything while batting, bowling and fielding . 

Multi-format players are especially at risk because of the changing demands. And this guy was a genuine all-rounder. 

Expect similar decisions from more players especially with IPL now a 10 week affair  

4 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Given Bumrah's and Cummins' workload in recent years , I suspect they will also want to play only select series or completely avoid 1 format etc. 

bumrah in particular should cut down on ODIs a lot, and only play regularly prior to ODI WCs to get back into the groove - the 2023 and 2027 editions (latter assumes he is still fit and in form).

This was on the cards tbh, Stokes took a gap in between because he knew he wasn't able to manage the workload across all formats.

He made a smart decision here by retiring from ODI cricket as he still has a lot of offer in Test Cricket. Ultimately in today's world the prestige and legacy lies on your performance in Test Cricket and money lies on T20 international matches. Cricketers would want both of that.

ODI cricket is getting hurt unfortunately but that is what it is. England would be thankful of him for making the golden chance of winning the World Cup count for them. Doubt if any other cricketer in the world would have sustained that level of pressure and come out winning as he did in that WC 2019 Final.

From Indian perspective, it is also important now for fans to understand that playing all formats take a lot on your body and especially for teams like India or England who play so much of cricket so taking rest and breaks here and there shouldn't be treated badly and must be acknowledged as a part of professional cricket.

Edited by Majestic