Are we watching the last ever World Cup?

goose

This is the pinnacle of the sport in my opinion, alongside the great test matches everyone once in a while. If the powers that be, which let face it include India in large measure, scrap the 50 over World Cup I will not be happy! Does India winning make it less or more likely we are watching the last edition? 

Unfortunately this is behind a pay wall

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/mens-world-cup-2023-premium/icc_review_future_world_cup_format.html

14 minutes ago, goose said:

This is the pinnacle of the sport in my opinion, alongside the great test matches everyone once in a while. If the powers that be, which let face it include India in large measure, scrap the 50 over World Cup I will not be happy! Does India winning make it less or more likely we are watching the last edition? 

Unfortunately this is behind a pay wall

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/mens-world-cup-2023-premium/icc_review_future_world_cup_format.html

T20 games are more lottery like where one player with a good 20 minute performance can essentially swing the game in favor of a shittier team.  ODIs are a great blend of T20 and test cricket, and a much better indicator of a cricket team's quality. 

However, the reality is that T20's unchecked growth has cannibalized ODI market value.  Players obviously would rather play a 40 over game instead of 100.   And as much of a cricket fan I am, even tests - the hardnosed reality is that I would rather buy tickets for a T20 game instead of an ODI.  And even watching on TV its kind of similar. 

That consumer preference is going to drive unpleasant decisions going forward.

ODI cricket is not going to win any new fans

For me the best way to retain the existing ones is make it less like an extended T20, and more like a condensed test match - practically this means have some regulation on ground sizes, revisit the two new ball rule and maybe even the fielding restrictions in middle overs.

Why watch a slug fest where teams score 750 runs between them over 6 hours, when you can do the same over 3 in a T20

Instead a genuine contest between bat and ball is much more captivating - again for old school cricket fans

Yesterday, Afghan vs Pak match had higher peak viewership than ipl final. When kohli was nearing his century against NZ, the viewership was close to 50 Million!! It was 4.7 crore iirc. There's no cricket fixture as of now that will draw this kind of attention. And we're still in group stages. If India goes to the final, it'll set a new record in not just cricket but across the sports watching probably. 

Regardless of the prestige, fans love etc, money is the biggest motivator for ICC and ODI WC is still their biggest cash cow. So I don't think this is the last. This format will definitely end in our lifetime sadly, but it won't be in this decade. Maybe we won't see it in 2035

57 minutes ago, sandeep said:

T20 games are more lottery like where one player with a good 20 minute performance can essentially swing the game in favor of a shittier team.  ODIs are a great blend of T20 and test cricket, and a much better indicator of a cricket team's quality. 

However, the reality is that T20's unchecked growth has cannibalized ODI market value.  Players obviously would rather play a 40 over game instead of 100.   And as much of a cricket fan I am, even tests - the hardnosed reality is that I would rather buy tickets for a T20 game instead of an ODI.  And even watching on TV its kind of similar. 

That consumer preference is going to drive unpleasant decisions going forward.

I’d be ok with scrapping bilaterals and just have warm up bilaterals followed by the cup like we did this year. it’s up to each country how they hone their skills which as you say are a mix of T20 and tests anyway. we need to keep in mind that the likes of Holland and Afghanistan depend on the step up that 50 overs represents to stand a chance of playing tests. 

This is an idiotic point of view of an Englishman.They made 50 overs into an extended t20 by laying flat pitches.

This world cup has shown 50 over game will be alive and kicking as long as the matches are played on grounds where bowlers also have some help from pitches.

Those idiotic umpires are so influenced by these pommies and dared to rate Chepauk and Motera pitches as average.Dravid was 100 percent correct, why is it when pitches help spinners, they are deemed below par.

Bilaterals are essential bloodline for these world cups.They should not be scrapped, how do people expect players to just turnup for worldcup without any matches under their belts.

The ebbs and flows of an odi cricket can never be replicated in t20s.Yesterday match was perfect example of classic odi chase where Afghanistan were so much in control just by running singles and twos.

It was joy to watch such a chase.

Edited by putrevus
7 hours ago, Serpico said:

Yesterday, Afghan vs Pak match had higher peak viewership than ipl final. When kohli was nearing his century against NZ, the viewership was close to 50 Million!! It was 4.7 crore iirc. There's no cricket fixture as of now that will draw this kind of attention. And we're still in group stages. If India goes to the final, it'll set a new record in not just cricket but across the sports watching probably. 

Regardless of the prestige, fans love etc, money is the biggest motivator for ICC and ODI WC is still their biggest cash cow. So I don't think this is the last. This format will definitely end in our lifetime sadly, but it won't be in this decade. Maybe we won't see it in 2035

Agreed. The death of the 50 overs format is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  This is an English narrative.   It's typical of them to do this especially with Joe Root commenting on the 50 over format's future in the middle of a campaign where the English team sucks.

Hotstar numbers for some of the World Cup games have been absolutely huge. 

50 overs cricket has never been popular in England and never will be .  It's the most popular format in RSA and teams like NZ clearly want to play more of it. 

Same English journalists who cry about the 50 overs format are also the ones who completely turn a blind eye to Test matches being played in completely empty stadia for the majority of the WTC.

11 hours ago, goose said:

Does anyone really hold Aus in high regard for being T20 World Cup holders? Heard anyone say this is Aus chance to do the double? Anyone remember who won the last 5 T20 world cups? The very mention of the year 1992 or 1996 or 1983 means something. Anyone remember the T20 WC years?

Cricket has wc in odi format. Ti the time it retires t20 is only world t20 no matter what they name it. 

12 hours ago, goose said:

Does anyone really hold Aus in high regard for being T20 World Cup holders? Heard anyone say this is Aus chance to do the double? Anyone remember who won the last 5 T20 world cups? The very mention of the year 1992 or 1996 or 1983 means something. Anyone remember the T20 WC years?

Great post.. 

But aren't England the T20 World cup winners in the most recent edition? Or am I mixing it up with 2021?