Is Ashwin heading towards the league of the great Kapil Dev?

Cricketics

43 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Washington hardly turns the ball. In T20 when batsmen go after him, he might be effective but in tests, unless the pitch offers some bounce I don’t see how he can trouble the batsmen.

Ashwin is a bowler who can bat a bit.

Washi seems to be a batsman who can bowl. 

Ashwin started as a top order batsman he bowled with control then bowled in loi with variation then became a test spinner 

Ashwin has the rare gift of completely changing his action in the middle of his career and make it work. He can bowl leg spin too. He is a quintessential cricketer that everyone should follow as a role model. Tendulkar despite being a premiere batsman always worked on his bowling. Started as a dibbly dobbly seamer who could bowl outswing and later became a part time leggie. Ganguly in right conditions could swing the ball enough to pose problems for batsmen. Dravid to could keep wickets. Even Laxman has bowled at the start of their career.  Modern day INdian cricketers are highly one-dimensional. Ashwin and Jadeja are the exceptions.

Kapil is unique, not just limited to stats, one of a kind. Ashwin won't be equivalent to him and he doesn't need to be, he too will have a unique legacy future spinners in India can look up to. Jaddu is the only guy who can come close to matching Kapil in tests but even there I am not sure, I do believe there is more to players can cold, hard stats columns....let us cherish them for what they are and enjoy whatever is left in their tanks, these kind of comparisons mostly result in bad blood and useless one-upmanship. All of them are great, all of them are towering icons of Indian cricket who gave us fans so much joy over the years. Most of us unlucky to have missed out following Kapil's career, but we have cherished the feats of Jaddu, Ash, 10 years down the line we will be talking about some new guys......

On 2/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, Gollum said:

Kapil is unique, not just limited to stats, one of a kind. Ashwin won't be equivalent to him and he doesn't need to be, he too will have a unique legacy future spinners in India can look up to. Jaddu is the only guy who can come close to matching Kapil in tests but even there I am not sure, I do believe there is more to players can cold, hard stats columns....let us cherish them for what they are and enjoy whatever is left in their tanks, these kind of comparisons mostly result in bad blood and useless one-upmanship. All of them are great, all of them are towering icons of Indian cricket who gave us fans so much joy over the years. Most of us unlucky to have missed out following Kapil's career, but we have cherished the feats of Jaddu, Ash, 10 years down the line we will be talking about some new guys......

If jaddu can maintain his form, his fitness, his hunger, and his willingness to improve, he can outstrip even kapil. however, I don't think we will see jaddu at the kind of peak levels we are now seeing for much more time.

Longevity is important. It is an underrated measure but once Jadeja maintains his stats over 75 tests, he can be a genuine threat to Kapil Dev as the greatest Indian all-rounder ever.

Ashwin is also in the league of Kapil Dev as a test cricketer in my opinion but as all-rounder, Kapil Dev was better.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, Majestic said:

Longevity is important. It is an underrated measure but once Jadeja maintains his stats over 75 tests, he can be a genuine threat to Kapil Dev as the greatest Indian all-rounder ever.

Ashwin is also in the league of Kapil Dev as a test cricketer in my opinion but as all-rounder, Kapil Dev was better.

Jadeja lacks impact knocks which is why Stokes scores over him too,let alone Kapil

1 hour ago, Baji-Rao said:

disagree. even though ashwin's away average is like 30ish its still respectable. But Kumble has horrible away records, which signals how ineffective he is on non subcontinent pitches. Bowlers who can maintain their strength on unfavourable pitches are to be applauded more.

1. Ashwin
2. Shami
3. Kapil

i think bumrah and siraj in the future will eclipse all three tho as far ast tests are concerned, for odis idk.

Kumble has 600 wickets at 29. Shami has 180 wickets at 27. They are not even in same universe. The difference is huge. 

Kumble's away performance in Australia is an ATG performance in 2003. Shami doesn't have a performance of that equivalence.

1 hour ago, Baji-Rao said:

ah yess the one series and then back to mediocrity in away games for Kumble. Shami is quality and has one the best strike rates going around, an essential for Red ball cricket. I want quality over quantity. Otherwise lets just start declaring Zaheer Khan and Bhajji 32+ averaging bowlers over Windies horsemen and Rashid Khan because they have more wickets?

Obviously more matches means more wickets. But the ratios of quality is way too significant to overlook. And i'll give you an unpopular opinion that everyone will hate me for, But its Shami's wicket strike ability that has made Bumrah even effective in the first place. Bumrah benefits highly from shami as he is able to focus better on controlling economy and even on days where he cant pick wicekts he'll still seem 'more unplayable' thanks to the aid of a strike bowler like shami.

Then why is Shami having a not so impressive average of 27 which is even worse away even after having such world class bowlers support from other end? In last five years, he has been overshadowed by Ashwin, Bumrah and Ishant, all three with better stats than him. 

Kumble and Kapil averaged 29 without any support and led their pace attack for years and decades. There is nothing to suggest Shami is quality and Kapil/Kumble weren't given that Shami has been overshadowed by Ashwin, Ishant and Bumrah all three.

Edited by Majestic
11 hours ago, Majestic said:

Then why is Shami having a not so impressive average of 27 which is even worse away even after having such world class bowlers support from other end? In last five years, he has been overshadowed by Ashwin, Bumrah and Ishant, all three with better stats than him. 

Kumble and Kapil averaged 29 without any support and led their pace attack for years and decades. There is nothing to suggest Shami is quality and Kapil/Kumble weren't given that Shami has been overshadowed by Ashwin, Ishant and Bumrah all three.

If Johnson, starc and hazelwood are considered great bowlers then shami is just as good if not better. Period. 

Shami is a mother *ing ATG in Asia. 

He averages 20 on flat pattas of India. Only McGrath is close on such wickets along with Marshall. 

He is very good in Australia and south africa as well. 

He only struggled in England and kiwiland.