Who names their kid knowing that the name is that of a tyrant?

coffee_rules

40 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Err no. Ghaznawi came before Prithvi Raj Chauhan did.

What opened the floodgates to India are the Indians themselves and our lack of horses. 

India spent 500 years, between 700 AD and 1200 AD annihilating itself. The Pratiharas-Pals-Rashtrakutas waged never-ending wars against each other for 300 straight years- till the Pratihara empire- the same that beat Mohammed Bin Qasim at the height of the Caliphate- was nothing more than a bunch of fragmented, petty kingdoms, the Rashtrakutas were destroyed, Pals were in terminal decline, etc.

Even in the south, the Chola-Chalukya wars were staggering in their bodycount. When you have 200 years of war, where kings like Vikramaditya VI and Kulothonga Chola are mobilizing 15,000 war elephants and 250,000 troops every war season for 10 straight years and this continues for another century, then you begin to understand why, just a 100 years after Kulothonga Chola, Malik Kafur journeyed nearly 2000 kms from his base, right into the Pandyan heartland and so much as sneezed and the Pandyas keeled over and died. 

Till invention of gunpowder & its use in India by Babur for the first time in 1550s, India has fallen to outsiders only twice in 1500+ years prior, when North India was unified under one empire : The Guptas lost to the Hepthalites (ancestors of the Abdali & most Afghan clans who migrated from Xinjiang), though they only lost the western half of their empire and Delhi Sultan Tughlaq lost to Timur. Thats it. in 1500 years. 

The moral of the story is, don't blame others for invading us, blame ourselves- if we hadn't destroyed our economic & military might by never-ending war for 500 years, the subcontinent would look a lot different.

A very simple moral to learn: united we stand, divided we fall. Whether it is the Islamic invasions or the first war of independence in 1857, it is the one simple moral history has to teach us.

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

What kind of an arguement is this?

Ashok was an outsider to  the people of Kalinga. The very country he invaded and the soldiers he butchered. There wasn't a concept of India back then. 

Ashok is Indian name.

Muhammad, Mariyam etc. - non-indian names.

Hindi, Sanskrit etc. - Indian languages 

Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism- Indian religions.

Islam, Christianity- non-indian religions.

Islam - keeping aside the little good stuff, it mainly brought bloodshed, division, backwardness into Indian society.

I am no one to enforce and India is a free country but imo, Muslims should try to give Indian names to their children.

7 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Ashok is Indian name.

Islam - keeping aside the little good stuff, it mainly brought bloodshed, division, backwardness into Indian society.

I am no one to enforce and India is a free country but imo, Muslims should try to give Indian names to their children.

You mean Hindu name?

2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

You mean Hindu name?

I mean a Hindi* name, Sanskrit name etc.

Almost no Muslims have such names.

Who cares from where some of the ancestors of Muslims came from....most may have been indian , some may have been from outside as well. But now, everyone is made from indian soil. 

3 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

I mean a Hindi* name, Sanskrit name etc.

Almost no Muslims have such names.

Who cares from where some of the ancestors of Muslims came from....most may have been indian , some may have been from outside as well. But now, everyone is made from indian soil. 

What is a Hindi name?

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I never started the thread to criticise Saifeena as anti-national or communal, but to see how pinheaded they are to name their kid after somebody who is seen as evil in history. Not only to the Indian region , but to humanity. Nobody is gunning for them to change his name or ban names. 

This post is one of those like "I don't mean to sound racist...but"

Dude, get over it. someone named their kid whatever, who cares.

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

It's just a name and not an advertisement for the invader. In fact the name is Timur Ali Khan and not Timur or Tamerlane

2 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Ashok is Indian name.

Aha!

You choose to essay this rhetoric in English, a very un-Indian language on a website  (a non-Indian concept) about cricket (an un-Indian sport).

I am no one to enforce and India is a free country, but imo Indians when pontificating on the "concept of Indianness" to other Indians should use an Indian language. Like Pali, Ardhamagadhi or Vedic Sanskrit. Makes more of an impact.

31 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Aha!

You choose to essay this rhetoric in English, a very un-Indian language on a website  (a non-Indian concept) about cricket (an un-Indian sport).

I am no one to enforce and India is a free country, but imo Indians when pontificating on the "concept of Indianness" to other Indians should use an Indian language. Like Pali, Ardhamagadhi or Vedic Sanskrit. Makes more of an impact.

Yes ...I use Hindi while speaking always unless it isn't understood by others....

People who use English unnecessarily thinking they will make a better impression are pitiable...

But people should learn English as entire world speaks it....

Don't mix web forums. Web forums is written English not spoken English. It is a miniscule part of my life. 

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

WTF! I didn't like some of the responses, hence the disclaimer. Mocking at somebody's choice of name is not racist, BTW.

Story has reached even WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/12/20/bollywood-stars-give-their-newborn-son-the-controversial-name-of-a-brutal-islamic-conqueror/

Edited by coffee_rules

41 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

WTF! I didn't like some of the responses, hence the disclaimer. Mocking at somebody's choice of name is not racist, BTW.

Story has reached even WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/12/20/bollywood-stars-give-their-newborn-son-the-controversial-name-of-a-brutal-islamic-conqueror/

Lol, I am not calling you racist. I am just saying that your statement looked like one of those kind of statements where people try to say there aren't. I know you didn't mean that.

:beer-bottle:

i can guarantee that the kid will be bullied at school and directors/produces wont give him movie. He will probably still be in Industry , but may be as owner of production company. 

For sure, they have closed the acting/star career of bolly kids  future by naming him to a lame.

6 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Ashok is Indian name.

Looks like someone down voted you already. In before, people start calling you "communal" :afraid:

10 hours ago, Cricketics said:

It applies to the couple who named their kids Taimur....we are very "secular" but we will name our kid after one of the most  blood thirsty savage generals of all time who happened to persecute a lot of people of their own country.

Edited by maniac

So killing a lot of Indians and then saying 'oops' and renouncing worldy pleasures definitely weighs over the fact that emperor Ashok was a mass murderer.

A 'get out of jail free' in the history books?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. That its okay for someone to name their kid 'Ashok' because he said sorry and not 'Taimur' because he was stupid/articulate enough to have his attrocities documented? Do I understand you right?

We digress anyways. The point here is that neither you , nor anyone else can say with any degree of certainity that Saifeena named the kid after the conqueror. 

He didn't killed person for fun and forced them to convert,znd beside his name means free from grief not sword of Islam as in the case of taimur and beside taimurlane wasn't an Indian citizen , you cannot compare a legendary king to a bas..tard like taimur, who killed for fun,beside Kareena stated in her interview that Saif is bit off a historian, so it is impossible that he doesn't know, who the F is taimur and what the F did he was responsible for,beside he isn't some random dude, he is a celebrity, and people do follow them, otherwise this matter would not have popped out .

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk