'Washington Sundar doesn’t even spin the ball,' Harbhajan Singh questions off-spinner's Team India selection

“There is a spinner named Jalaj Saxena. They just refuse to consider him. He has been bowling superbly for so many seasons. Wakhare is a consistent bowler but no one looks at him. And then you say, spinners are getting lost in Indian cricket. He must have done something good for Vidarbha to have won the Ranji Trophy twice,” Harbhajan told Sportstar. 

“They pick this guy called Washington Sundar, who doesn’t even spin the ball. I just don’t get it. Why don’t you encourage a bowler who bowls genuine spin, who can lure the batsman out and have him stumped. If Washington can bat a bit, so can Jalaj, who is also a proper spinner,” Harbhajan added. 

“You have to develop these bowlers by giving them confidence. I want to know what wrong has Saxena done? Has he, Wakhare or Shahbaz Nadeem [Jharkhand] committed a crime by taking wickets?,” Harbhajan asserted.   

Link https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/washington-sundar-doesn-t-even-spin-the-ball-harbhajan-singh-questions-off-spinners-team-india-selection/562536?fbclid=IwAR2wu7fnp82lnT7vWfOfyuvD0GsvGeytt0sJP-qymevMcTZ7H3lj9nShTIc

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

“They pick this guy called Washington Sundar, who doesn’t even spin the ball.

There is no compulsion that u need to spin the ball in t20 cricket....t20 is about variation of length n pace .

He has forgotten how he himself started darting in the end of his LOI career

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I want to know what wrong has Saxena done?

Start by asking each franchise of IPL to.....

None of the IPL franchise picks him or wakhre , its tough to get in one Indian team but if a player isnt even getting in 8 IPL sides then there must be some issue

He does have a point in that we sometimes prioritize guys who can bowl and bat a bit at the expense of guys who are basically better wicket takers who can’t bat much. In a t20 scenario, you would rarely see a Sundar coming out to bat. Then, if we evaluate him purely as a bowler- is he really a better wicket taker than Jalaj Saxena?

Just now, kirkutfan said:

He does have a point in that we sometimes prioritize guys who can bowl and bat a bit at the expense of guys who are basically better wicket takers who can’t bat much. In a t20 scenario, you would rarely see a Sundar coming out to bat. Then, if we evaluate him purely as a bowler- is he really a better wicket taker than Jalaj Saxena?

Sundar plays in t20 and jalaj doesnt even get picked by an IPL side despite having additional batting skills so that answerss the questions. 

About his ranji performances well in red ball he doesnt compete with sundar , instead he competes with ashwin, jadeja, kuldeep , nadeem. 

12 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Sundar plays in t20 and jalaj doesnt even get picked by an IPL side despite having additional batting skills so that answerss the questions. 

About his ranji performances well in red ball he doesnt compete with sundar , instead he competes with ashwin, jadeja, kuldeep , nadeem. 

IPL sides make mistakes too. Point is I don’t think Harbhajan’s question is a bad one. Forget Jalaj for a moment, we have broken up the Kulcha combo for similar reasons. Not sure if we achieved the right trade offs

4 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

Saxena 33 years old.  

6 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

IPL sides make mistakes too. Point is I don’t think Harbhajan’s question is a bad one. Forget Jalaj for a moment, we have broken up the Kulcha combo for similar reasons. Not sure if we achieved the right trade offs

or may be jalaj bowling isnt suited for t20, his question wud have been apt had it been for a longer format . Every format needs diff skills

A big part of kulcha being broked was kuldeep loss of form n confidence n teams started to pick them up

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
2 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

He has a point.  I worry that 'proper' spinners will be lost to the system. 

IP teams not picking a guy is a relevant but not necessarily important factoid.

Why wud they be lost

In t20 cricket diff bowling skills are required and the ones that dont have it wont find place. 

Proper spinner still play test cricket. Like batting in t20 is diff so is bowling. 

I remember back in 2001 after the famous win against Aussies we went to SriLanka ,there was a pic circulated in every newspaper where he was seen practicing with Muralidharan and dumbass fans started suggesting he was teaching Murali how to bowl logic behind this was he tamed one of the greatest batting lineup on his tunes

His hangover is not over yet,he seems stuck there and will remain till eternity

7 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

The question is does jalaj have skills for t20 like variations. I saw him bowl n loved his bowling but t20 requires diff skills. Proper spinner will bowl at one place n setup batsman but in t20 predictability is the enemy. Jadeja is a better odi n test bowler but someone like krunal is a better bowler in t20. Aus also play ashton agar but not lyon and even at its peak pakistan didnt play yasir or danish much in white ball cricket coz it needs diff skills. In t20 bowlers with variation will always work better then the one who are predictable. Proper spinner like ashwin who has done well in t20 had plenty of variation. I find it weird that a bowler shud be selected in t20 due to ranji perfomances. T20 selection shud be based on ipl n sma not ranji trophy. Jalaj doesnt even make it in IPL