Should there be more international players in the IPL

Binga

7 hours ago, Binga said:

Can you blame the Aussie players for taking good money to dominate a second tier league?

BBL and South African sides routinely spanked their Indian counterparts in the old champions league.

there is a reason why there are no Indian players playing in the BBL and it is because they struggle big time away from the doctored home pitches. Some of the duds getting games in the IPL wouldn't get a gig in district cricket in Australia.

Yet when Aussies go to IPL they dominate 

The reason you don't see Indian players in these leagues is bevause the Indian board does not permit them.

Edited by beetle

12 minutes ago, beetle said:

The reason you don't see Indian players in these leagues is bevause the Indian board does not permit them.

That seems shortsighted to me given it is common knowledge Indians struggle overseas so shouldn't the BCCI make them get experience in BBL, and South African T20 leagues?

30 minutes ago, Binga said:

That seems shortsighted to me given it is common knowledge Indians struggle overseas so shouldn't the BCCI make them get experience in BBL, and South African T20 leagues?

Since the IPL started, almost  all  Australians are regularly playing in India.

Yet, Australia has lost all FOUR test series in India after that..... TWO of them white-washes.

So, it seems that there is no point to the exercise.       :phehe:

Edited by express bowling

1 hour ago, chewy said:

Lol@ Aussies being good at T20...only a retard Pakistani could come up with such logic 

Aussie are the minnows of T20s

its only thanks to the IPL coaching positions filled by kangaroos that so many mediocre Aussie get thru the draft 

Maxwell, smith, warner have all dominated this IPL. Imagine what some of the good Pakistani players would do

37 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

To increase competition we can make limit to 5 but that gives 1 indian player less a chance in ever franchise, that means 8 talented players might sit out

solution- Add 2 more franchise so 12 more indian players can get a chance 

Yeah fair point. I guess it depends on whether you want the highest standard cricket or what is best for Indian players 

6 hours ago, Lala said:

My opinion is lets make it 5 international players and all 5 players shouldn't be from one country and they should be from different countries.

Team dynamics dont work out like this.You cant handcuff teams with stipulations like you have mentioned.

But I would like to see 5 foreign players in IPL,this may also solve the problem of weak bowling attacks some teams are experiencing.

1 hour ago, BCCI said:

But I would like to see 5 foreign players in IPL,this may also solve the problem of weak bowling attacks some teams are experiencing.

It also leads to young Indian players stepping up and creating an identity for themselves, like Thampi for GL and Shardul for RPS.

In the initial years of IPL, one could see a visible gap b/w those who played international cricket and those who were restricted to domestic cricket. Now that gap is slowly but surely reducing. Considering the above, one of the ways forward is to: 

• Reduce teams to 5 or 6, with an 11 that can play up to 3 international players, min 4 players from the catchment area of the franchise, and up to 4 players from outside the catchment area 
  • Consider players from countries such as AFG (non test playing countries) as non catchment area domestic players 

To summarize, the 11 could consist of:

a) Up to 3 international players (from test playing countries)

b) Min 4 Ind players from the catchment area of the IPL franchise

c) Up to 4 Ind players from outside the catchment area and from non-test playing countries such as AFG, Kenya, etc. 

In 10 years of IPL, which players has it truly given us:

ie who were picked based on IPL performances and then performed well internationally 

Suresh Raina

Yusuf Pathan 

Umesh Yadav- even that's debatable 

Ashwin

so I don't think the IPL can be considered a huge talent generator. Talent is generated in grass roots, first class and youth tournaments. Still holds true to this day. 

Ok So the next argument- it allows India players to hone their skills. Who's game improved because of IPL? I can only think of 1 guy and that's kohli, maybe KL Rahul. 

Who's game declined? 

rohit 

vijay 

gambhir

dravid

ishant

Pujara- temporarily 

can definitely say our ground fielding and fitness  levels of our players have improved immensely because of IPL. 

Conclusion: allow at least 5 foreign players per side-and improve the standard of cricket. Fed up of Rajat Bhatia types playing every match 

20 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

In 10 years of IPL, which players has it truly given us:

ie who were picked based on IPL performances and then performed well internationally 

Suresh Raina

Yusuf Pathan 

Umesh Yadav- even that's debatable 

Ashwin

so I don't think the IPL can be considered a huge talent generator. Talent is generated in grass roots, first class and youth tournaments. Still holds true to this day. 

Ok So the next argument- it allows India players to hone their skills. Who's game improved because of IPL? I can only think of 1 guy and that's kohli, maybe KL Rahul. 

Who's game declined? 

rohit 

vijay 

gambhir

dravid

ishant

Pujara- temporarily 

can definitely say our ground fielding and fitness  levels of our players have improved immensely because of IPL. 

Conclusion: allow at least 5 foreign players per side-and improve the standard of cricket. Fed up of Rajat Bhatia types playing every match 

This is slight exagerration in your post.

Why would you say the Gambhir's or Dravid's or Pujara's performance declined?

Gambhir was top performer until 2012-2013, thats like after 6 season of IPL he suddenly declined because of IPL?

Fact is 2 months of IPL shouldn't decline your game and if its really declining your game then you should just stop playing international cricket or tell tell BCCI to not select you ever for india.

I think honestly, IPl is never a reason for someone's decline or any t20 league for that matter. It actually makes a batsman better at pacing his innings. It has enhanced the game and made bowlers bowl even smarter line now and bring variations to their deliveries instead of bowling the same line and length and getting away with it all the tile.