Why hasn't Bengal produced many quality international cricketers?

Add Pankaj Roy and Arun “safari” Lal as well

Anyways cricket selection historically has been a political game and regional game...reason why Mumbai and Karnataka have had a lot more representation of their players and obviously they did also produce a lot of quality players who

absolutely deserved.

Even Ganguly when he came in was criticized for being a quota pick as he came from an influential family 

25 minutes ago, maniac said:

Yeah... badminton doesn’t count right?

cricket is not the only sport

only South Indian state-to have 2 Olympic medalists badminton and weightlifting 

also there is a good culture of Kabaddi,volleyball and basketball 

next time i suggest doing some reading or thinking before spouting nonsense

The irony... A Rohit Sharma cheerleader telling off others about doing research before posting... Kali Yug final stage has started...

25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Breaking my busy schedule to post here, some of these posts make me cringe so hard, absolute nonsense spouted here.

Every state in India has its own strong area.

Bengal has historically produced our greatest footballers (and yes we were a pretty good team back in the old days). Bengal has also given us good swimmers and tennis players. Can I ask why Uttar Pradesh hasn't produced quality footballers or tennis stars?

Mumbai/Delhi/Karnataka have given us our best cricketers.

Punjab has given us hockey stars and athletic (esp throwing events) prospects.

Kerala has given us our best sprinters and volleyball players.

Tamil Nadu has given us our best tennis players,car/bike racers and chess grandmasters.

Haryana has given us boxers and wrestlers.

North East has given us talented boxers, footballers and weight lifters.

Adivasi belt (Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Odisha) has given us our archers and sturdy field hockey defenders.

Andhra has given us badminton stars.

Gajab log ho yaar tum sab. Just because Bengal hasn't produced cricketers you take a swipe at Bengalis? You take the name of any state and I will list out sports where they have sucked. Every region has its own strengths and we must respect that.

Coming to OP I have been through the junior CAB tournaments and can give 1st hand account. Cricket isn't a popular sport here, ofc Bengalis love their cricket and Eden Gardens is a passionate crowd but you check out a weekend game of the Kolkata derby (Mohun Bagan vs East Bengal) in Salt Lake (bigger capacity than Eden) and you'll get what I am trying to say. Bengalis are mad about football, in my school till 6th standard 10 out of 300 students in my batch would play cricket while rest would play football. In later classes no one played cricket, 300 students would play 4-5 parallel football matches with anywhere over 20 per side. No wonder Bengal has been the conveyor belt for Indian football over the decades. Mumbai has won Ranji trophy 41 times, cool :thumb:, Bengal has won Santosh Trophy 32 times, Karnataka+Haryana+Gujarat+UP+Bihar+many other states combined 0 times, uspe naya thread nikalun? And for posters who try to take subtle racist digs at some states, football is much more strenuous than cricket and half the Indian states don't have the aukaat to win a Santosh Trophy. Bengal has won a few Ranjis and Hazare's so we don't need to prove anything to anyone. Till the late 60s we were the among the top 3 in Asia and that golden generation had more Bengalis in the starting XI than we have had Bombay cricketers in Indian Cricket Team during Bombay's peak years. Chuni Goswami who captained India in its Asian Games gold medal (defeating Japan and South Korea back to back in semis/F no less !!!) and Asia Cup silver had a side career in cricket, he was a Bengal Ranji regular  who captained West Bengal to 2 Ranji Trophy finals. Funny part is he took cricket seriously after retiring from football, that is the general level of priority for Bengalis w.r.t cricket. Most of the Indian cricket ATGs don't deserve to be named in the same sentence as Chuni so kindly eff off and take your pity glasses elsewhere. 

I can do a similar analysis for so called inferior cricket regions, all states have their specialty and without them India will be much poorer in sports. Take out Andhra and SS won't telecast badminton, take out Tamil Nadu and our chess status will be equal to Bangladesh's, take out Kerala and some Eastern European women athletics records will shine favorably compared to Indian men's national athletics records. 

EPIC hats off. 

Also Bihari OP doesn't like bengalis :aetsch:

Edited by Texy
25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Breaking my busy schedule to post here, some of these posts make me cringe so hard, absolute nonsense spouted here.

Bengal has historically produced our greatest footballers (and yes we were a pretty good team back in the old days). Bengal has also given us good swimmers and tennis players. Can I ask why Uttar Pradesh hasn't produced quality footballers or tennis stars?

Tamil Nadu has given us our best tennis players,car/bike racers and chess grandmasters.

Adivasi belt (Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Odisha) has given us our archers and sturdy field hockey defenders.

Gajab log ho yaar tum sab. Just because Bengal hasn't produced cricketers you take a swipe at Bengalis? You take the name of any state and I will list out sports where they have sucked. Every region has its own strengths and we must respect that.

Coming to OP I have been through the junior CAB tournaments and can give 1st hand account. Cricket isn't a popular sport here, ofc Bengalis love their cricket and Eden Gardens is a passionate crowd but you check out a weekend game of the Kolkata derby (Mohun Bagan vs East Bengal) in Salt Lake (bigger capacity than Eden) and you'll get what I am trying to say. Bengalis are mad about football, in my school till 6th standard 10 out of 300 students in my batch would play cricket while rest would play football. In later classes no one played cricket, 300 students would play 4-5 parallel football matches with anywhere over 20 per side. No wonder Bengal has been the conveyor belt for Indian football over the decades. Mumbai has won Ranji trophy 41 times, cool :thumb:, Bengal has won Santosh Trophy 32 times, Karnataka+Haryana+Gujarat+UP+Bihar+many other states combined 0 times, uspe naya thread nikalun? And for posters who try to take subtle racist digs at some states, football is much more strenuous than cricket and half the Indian states don't have the aukaat to win a Santosh Trophy. Bengal has won a few Ranjis and Hazare's so we don't need to prove anything to anyone. Till the late 60s we were the among the top 3 in Asia and that golden generation had more Bengalis in the starting XI than we have had Bombay cricketers in Indian Cricket Team during Bombay's peak years. Chuni Goswami who captained India in its Asian Games gold medal (defeating Japan and South Korea back to back in semis/F no less !!!) and Asia Cup silver had a side career in cricket, he was a Bengal Ranji regular  who captained West Bengal to 2 Ranji Trophy finals. Funny part is he took cricket seriously after retiring from football, that is the general level of priority for Bengalis w.r.t cricket. Most of the Indian cricket ATGs don't deserve to be named in the same sentence as Chuni so kindly eff off and take your pity glasses elsewhere. 

I can do a similar analysis for so called inferior cricket regions, all states have their specialty and without them India will be much poorer in sports. Take out Andhra and SS won't telecast badminton, take out Tamil Nadu and our chess status will be equal to Bangladesh's, take out Kerala and some Eastern European women athletics records will shine favorably compared to Indian men's national athletics records. 

Good post 

Bengalis are what we call "Bheto Bangali". We eat rice, copious amounts of it. It makes us feel lazy and sleepy. We even put poppy seeds in our vegetable mix - it is called "posto". Also fish, not the seafood kind, the but vanilla fresh water fish. It tastes delicious, good for the eyes and brain, but does shyt to our muscles!! We love to do "adda" - which is people getting together, eating (again) and gossiping / passing judgements on everything going on in the world like we own the shyt! I think we are world renowned for this. And finally, we LOVE sweets, and eat it like there is no tomorrow. No wonder, majority of us suffer from diabetes, or are borderline.

And you expect this race to produce international quality athletes, let alone cricketers? :giggle:

Jai Bangla!!

Edited by dandaroy
2 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

Bengalis are what we call "Bheto Bangali". We eat rice, copious amounts of it. It makes you feel lazy and sleepy. We even put poppy seeds in our vegetable mix - it is called "posto". Also fish, not the seafood kind, the but vanilla fresh water fish. It tastes delicious, good for the eyes and brain, but does shyt to our muscles!! We love to do "adda" - which is people getting together, eating (again) and gossiping / passing judgements on everything going on in the world like we own the shyt! I think we are world renowned for this. And finally, we LOVE sweets, and eat it like there is no tomorrow. No wonder, majority of us suffer from diabetes, or are borderline.

And you expect this race to produce international quality athletes, let alone cricketers? :giggle:

Jai Bangla!!

Rice doesn’t make you lazy. If so Chinese eat it too but they are hardworking people. It’s the attitude that makes you lazy.

2 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Rice doesn’t make you lazy. If so Chinese eat it too but they are hardworking people. It’s the attitude that makes you lazy.

Yes attitude definitely is the key.

But Chinese rice and what Bengalees eat are different. Chinese rice is sticky and they do not eat rice in the same volume as Bengalees do. I do not eat rice much these days (very infrequently), but every time I do I feel like taking a nap. :giggle:

Rice has some ingredients that make you feel sleepy (I forget the name) like milk has (typtophan ??)

1 hour ago, dandaroy said:

Bengalis are what we call "Bheto Bangali". We eat rice, copious amounts of it. It makes us feel lazy and sleepy. We even put poppy seeds in our vegetable mix - it is called "posto". Also fish, not the seafood kind, the but vanilla fresh water fish. It tastes delicious, good for the eyes and brain, but does shyt to our muscles!! We love to do "adda" - which is people getting together, eating (again) and gossiping / passing judgements on everything going on in the world like we own the shyt! I think we are world renowned for this. And finally, we LOVE sweets, and eat it like there is no tomorrow. No wonder, majority of us suffer from diabetes, or are borderline.

Jai Bangla!!

I'm a bong, this is hilarious :biggrin:

I think basically we need to more away from inaccurate and lazy stereotypes.

I noticed that during the Punjab election campaign the image was being painted that nearly all the youth in punjab are charsi or druggies @Old guy

If that were the case then its fair to say that the entire state would collapse. It an outright lie.

Even during say 2009 Maharashtra election campaign it was made out to be due to MNS all marathi people hated people from the north. MNS got 3.2% of the vote. A small minority.

Similarly IMO we cannot make these lazy stereotypes about Tamils being geeks (hence chess) and Bengalis being poor sportsman (gollum missed out that Bengal leads the nation in archery as well) or people from Andhra being lazy and only being interested in marrying their cousins. @maniac (excellent point on badminton) 

Each state has its own strengths and weaknesses. Be it in sports , culture and entertainment.

Apart from cricket i notice this topic also pops up during the representation of the army debates. Once again its mentioned that some states are very thinly represented like Gujarat. But people fail to account for the factors behind this including better economic options than the army or not being a border state. Its just lazy stereotypes.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

well said, great post!

We have started picking cricketers from all over India, only in the last 15 years or so.  Before that, 85% to  90% of Indian cricketers were picked from 4 or 5 states, and Bengal was not one of them.  That is one of the reasons for so few cricketers from Bengal.  It is a mystery to me how Utpal Chatterjee missed out  !  And Ranadeb Bose had potential too.

Just look at the fast bowling talent emerging from Rajasthan and Kerala nowadays ... but how many players have emerged from that region in the past  ?  Similar logic applies to UP, Gujarat and Jharkhand .  

From now on,  I hope we focus on picking the best talent in India ... ignoring any kind of regional bias.

Edited by express bowling