Shivam Dubey

19 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Congratulations to him for his maiden 50. Looked like a quintessential Pakistani leg side hack tbh. If he is to be India's late order hitter he cannot be this limited. I hope he has offside game as well. 

And a front foot game as well. His go-to shot seems to be getting front foot out of the way and golf-swinging. Hope he has a front foot and off side game as well, else will soon be found wanting against quality bowling

7 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Congratulations to him for his maiden 50. Looked like a quintessential Pakistani leg side hack tbh. If he is to be India's late order hitter he cannot be this limited. I hope he has offside game as well. 

6 hours ago, bowl_out said:

And a front foot game as well. His go-to shot seems to be getting front foot out of the way and golf-swinging. Hope he has a front foot and off side game as well, else will soon be found wanting against quality bowling

He has a FC average of 48. And that is not likely for just a leg side hack.

Opinions formed about batsmen, after watching them in a few T20s, is not always fully correct.

I think the role assigned to him was to up the ante and trying to hit most balls.

Edited by express bowling
7 hours ago, SK_IH said:

will get better with time

Player improve once they are found out.....so wnt be even bad if he gets found out

47 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Lol at the posters finding proper batting technique in t20. They want these guys to have technique like Tendulkar and hit like Russell. :cantstop:

If we get a Tendulkar now, we will complain that we don't have 6 hitting power game.

If we get a Russell we will say that he is a hack.  :phehe:

Edited by express bowling
27 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I give you two and you make the connection

vrp1541_1575816367_618x347.jpeg

Yuvraj-singh-696x392.jpg

I used to think they're similar but after yesterday's innings I think they couldn't be more different. Yuvraj was a clean striker and relied on timing. Dube seems more like a slogger that swings hard and hopes there's enough power behind his shot to clear the boundary. 

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Opinions formed about batsmen, after watching them in a few T20s, is not always fully correct.

I think the role assigned to him was to up the ante and trying to hit most balls.

Do not know what you are trying to suggest here with his first class average. The problem is not being a hack but being limited. He looked very one dimensional in his hitting zone. That rookie Walsh worked him out in 2 balls, bowled wide and got him out of his comfort zone.

His utility in the side will be quick runs down order, where he ll need to expand his area of hitting. 

3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Do not know what you are trying to suggest here with his first class average. The problem is not being a hack but being limited. He looked very one dimensional in his hitting zone. That rookie Walsh worked him out in 2 balls, bowled wide and got him out of his comfort zone.

His utility in the side will be quick runs down order, where he ll need to expand his area of hitting. 

Batters with high or high-ish FC averages rarely achieve this if they have just 1 hitting zone.

I have seen him bat in FC ... he plays different types of shots including off-drives and lofted off-drives.

We need to give him quite a few games before we get to know about his efficacy in international cricket.

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Batters with high or high-ish FC averages rarely achieve this if they have just 1 hitting zone.

I have seen him bat in FC ... he plays different types of shots including off-drives and lofted off-drives.

We need to give him quite a few games before we get to know about his efficacy in international cricket.

Wrong about hitting zone. high FC avg is all about being selective with shot selections and waiting for bowlers to bowl to your strength.

Cook is prime example in test, he has very limited hitting zones but it worked very well for him as he was patient.

Odis it is all about taking singles and hitting odd boundaries.Dhoni is prime example for this, he stinks in t20s as he does not have ability to hit the ball where it is pitched and can be controlled very easily.

T20s you need to have  the ability to hit in multiple zones otherwise you will struggle.

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Power hitters having avg of 48 in FC despite having technique issues is not surprised, because you always get some weak bowlers and weak sides to cash in at that level.

That said, I still called out that I hope he has a more rounded game, but it wasn't evident in yesterday's match despite the 50. We need to see him for a few more games.

4 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Power hitters having avg of 48 in FC despite having technique issues is not surprised, because you always get some weak bowlers and weak sides to cash in at that level.

Thats not in his control whatever bowler he gets in domestic he scores, we also forget he scored against A sides of WI n SA they wont have that weak bowlers

4 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

That said, I still called out that I hope he has a more rounded game, but it wasn't evident in yesterday's match despite the 50. We need to see him for a few more games.

If anything was evident that he atleast has power , on surfaces where guys like kohli , rohit struggled coz of its sluggishness this guy had the power to clear boundary. Now other aspects remains to be seen

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Wrong about hitting zone. high FC avg is all about being selective with shot selections and waiting for bowlers to bowl to your strength.

Cook is prime example in test, he has very limited hitting zones but it worked very well for him as he was patient.

" Hitting zones " have to be considered in the context of the batsman.  Cook did not have any hitting zone by modern standards ... but was not dependant on only 1 shot or 1 area to score runs. 

Someone like a Dube, with a FC strike rate if 67,  does not really wait for the bowler to bowl to his strength even in FC.  And most modern batters are like that. They don't have the patience. 

The batting days of Ravi Shastri, with his chapati shot,  and Geoff Boycott are over.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

T20s you need to have  the ability to hit in multiple zones otherwise you will struggle.

True.  But Dube is not such a batsman in domestic cricket atleast.