Pant has passed first test with flying colors

1 hour ago, speedheat said:

you want him to be another dhoni in testmatches and t20is ?? No then OK if yes then you don't like him my friend.

Dhoni is the best keeper/bat we have produced overall in all formats combined and also one of the best in the world, so yes if he can be like him or better than him that will be awesome for us. 

13 hours ago, Shunya said:

Dhoni is the best keeper/bat we have produced overall in all formats combined and also one of the best in the world, so yes if he can be like him or better than him that will be awesome for us. 

Since he is individually poor/average in two of the three formats just club together all formats: Dhoni is the best keeper/bat overall in all formats combined. :rotfl:

Honestly only ODIs are where he shined. Others didn't get chance in the other two formats. And that was not because dhoni was good but because he was captain and brilliant in ODIs. 

Based on what I saw this version of Pant will struggle in SC against the spinners. His collection is poor, he has to sort it out...no 2 ways about it. He is very young, so not a glaring issue but no one can seriously tell me his technique is acceptable for international level. Both Saha and Pant must be selected for all test series the next 18 months and Pant should be under the Master's tutelage. Don't remove Pant from the picture, he needs time and some mentoring....it is disgraceful to see how they are treating him in white ball formats.

Edited by Gollum
41 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Since he is individually poor/average in two of the three formats just club together all formats: Dhoni is the best keeper/bat overall in all formats combined. :rotfl:

Honestly only ODIs are where he shined. Others didn't get chance in the other two formats. And that was not because dhoni was good but because he was captain and brilliant in ODIs. 

It is a fact that he is the best from India and one of the best in world. It does not matter what you or me like or not. If it was as simple as you are trying to say, I am sure there will be hundreds of keepers around who would replicate such things and play in all formats and be good at it.

Anyhow, Dhoni is gone. Lets focus on Pant now, he has been poor so far. But obviously, he has potential and is young so have lots of time to work on it. Hope he can concentrate and not get carried away with the media/SM hype. Would be disaster if all of them in the team end up being showboats and no substance.

1 hour ago, Shunya said:

If it was as simple as you are trying to say, I am sure there will be hundreds of keepers around who would replicate such things and play in all formats and be good at it.

But Dhoni wasn't good in all formats. He was good only in one format. And hence it wouldn't be so difficult for others to replicate such things and it's ridiculous to expect them to be good in all formats to be better than dhoni since your so called benchmark himself wasn't good in all of them.

52 minutes ago, Pollack said:

But Dhoni wasn't good in all formats. He was good only in one format. And hence it wouldn't be so difficult for others to replicate such things and it's ridiculous to expect them to be good in all formats to be better than dhoni since your so called benchmark himself wasn't good in all of them.

Tests and ODIs - he was great. T20Is not. And he is the benchmark for every keeper, you can disagree with it but it will be a fact. 

BTW - Forget Dhoni - dont understand why are you so offended by Dhoni being called an ATG. What do you think of Pant? He is already got an early start which is very rare. Does he look better than Pappu, DK and Saha?

I didn't watch the first innings 0(29) looks like he is not comfortable playing outside his comfort zone. He should be like Butler. shot making is what that suits you just go for it.  Gilly never held himself back just because Australia is 5 down. Percentage cricket suits Dhoni not sure Pant has reached that level. 

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

I didn't watch the first innings 0(29) looks like he is not comfortable playing outside his comfort zone. He should be like Butler. shot making is what that suits you just go for it.  Gilly never held himself back just because Australia is 5 down. Percentage cricket suits Dhoni not sure Pant has reached that level. 

Can't compare with Dhoni... He is more like maxwell/Afridi type. Should stick to his original game. 

2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Try better. It definitely means Badrinath is not Maxwell/Afridi type.

Nothing really there to try. I was just pointing out a guy who has high average FC but he could never make it to the big scenes. FC averages doesn't mean anything. 

Based on batting only, I think we should have introduced Pant at home rather than here in England. 

I support introducing new batsmen only during home series. Pant is playing like Rahul did when he came in Australia. They play too aggressive and try to hit too much. 

Pant took the right approach early today by playing his natural game but got a little too carried away. Bad stuff by Pant in terms of dismissal. As much as I admire the kid and liked his approach today at the start of the innings, sometimes we must accept faults of the player whom we support and Pant today should be disappointed after starting off well. He will and should get plenty of chances but needs to be more gritty from here on.