How did we lose to this SA side?

R!TTER

Our batting declined big time in South Africa. Our pitches were tougher though but our many icfers were happy with Vijay showing some fight in one of the innings where he still just scored 20 odd. Just because Rahul was failing on the other end and has less scores, we were kept justifying everyone who batted a little better than Rahu

Pujara wasn’t the same Pujara either in South Africa. Bowling was top notch from our bowlers.

All said and done , no doubt that we were carrying some pedestrians  baring a certain Kohli. Even Pujara  till the AUS series was far way off the mark and Rahane   has been playing on his past reputation  for a while . Now lets us hope that with the arrival of Shaw,Agarwal,Pant,Vihari &  a few more waiting in the wing talents like Gill,Anmolpreet etc to support Kohli &  a rejuvenated Pujara  along with the dropping of Rahane ,our batting will become a well rounded all conditional unit for  a while .Even then it has to be admitted that we have to be lot more positive  in chasing  in the 4rth inns.

You cannot be playing on such pitches for so long.. home batsman will lose confidence eventually.. only greats can bail you out but Amla is close to retiring.. Elgar, Makram, Faf are not greats atm but are atleast rated as pretty good. How the hell can you make them play continuously for two years on such pitches? When was it the last time that anyone could score 150+ in their grounds or how many centuries have been scored..?

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

We didn't lose to this S.A. side.

This SA summer as per my observation SA bowlers have been really erratic and there has been cascade of boundaries in some sessions.I don't think that was the case last summer vs Ind and Aus. Pakistan were still blown away as they were really mediocre but Lanka took advantage specially in the last innings.

Also I believe pitch yesterday looked really flat ( P.E. is generally fav for SC sides) , so big kudos to this rookie Lankan bowling lineup, that was a stupendous performance. No decent batting lineup should lose wickets against Dhananjay De Silva, if they do they have huge problems lol.Vishwa Fernando looks a star though.

19 hours ago, Nikola said:

I know most people will say Ab de villiers but i will say our overrated batsman who can't chase anything over 100 in 4th innings. Look at Sri Lankan inexperienced side chased 300+ scores easily against same attack.

Pitches we played on were far tougher to bat.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Pitches we played on were far tougher to bat.

Then give credit to lankan bowlers that they got south africa out so cheaply and didn't mess chase of 300+ I doubt we could have won 1st test match which srilanka won even on same pitch. We simply don't have clutch players in side. Even kohli can't do anything in 4th innings.

19 hours ago, bahubali said:

We lost 3 test atleast where we couldn't able to chase anything around 210. Look at SL they chased in both the matches and in 2nd test very comprehensively. I bet we wouldn't have chased this 197 even against this SA team forget abt chasing more than 300.

Whether in tests or ODIs, our batting depends on bowlers to do all the hard work. The batters rarely do rescue acts bringing us back from the brink. Their salaries should be cut in half and the bowlers' should be doubled. 

3 hours ago, Adi BB said:

Pretty sure we'd have lost badly chasing this 197,we are mental midgets chasing in the 4th .srl batsmen have more grit than ours 

Look at the strike rate of the SL batsmen in this chase.Over 70 !! Infact,the batsmen played positive cricket throughout.We had to deal with a 200 ball 20 Vijay,an inconsistent pujara with the same approach and loads of passengers.No wonder we lost.