Pat Cummins gave it all

Cricketics

9 minutes ago, nevada said:

But wasnt good enough to break the Vihari-Ash partnership for 42 overs! And wasn't good enough today either, just couldn't get the job done against rookie batsmen! That's 2 strikes out of two against him. 

You won’t win every time. Sometimes even after being the best you lose.

I advice this to everyone to always go watch the Stan Wawrinka’s win over Djokovic in 2015 French open Final - a tournament which is always won by Nadal but having done the hard work of knocking king of clay Nadal out for the first time and being the best player and winning everything in the last 15 months uptill that point, Novak Djokovic, went into the finals as a sure shot favorite. He played like a champion too again in the finals to finally get crowned the Frech Open champiom. However he somehow lost - not because he played bad. He played like world number 1 that day too, just that soemtimes you lose even after playing like a champion. Wawrinka and his backhand matched him. Soemtimes you have to lose to win. Champions lose all the time.

Cummins is one such player. 

15 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I advice this to everyone to always go watch the Stan Wawrinka’s win over Djokovic in 2015 French open Final - a tournament which is always won by Nadal but having done the hard work of knocking king of clay Nadal out for the first time and being the best player and winning everything in the last 15 months uptill that point, Novak Djokovic, went into the finals as a sure shot favorite. He played like a champion too again in the finals to finally get crowned the Frech Open champiom. However he somehow lost - not because he played bad. He played like world number 1 that day too, just that soemtimes you lose even after playing like a champion. Wawrinka and his backhand matched him. Soemtimes you have to lose to win. Champions lose all the time.

Cummins' best wasn't good enough to even get his team close in two games back to back! It's not like we won with just 1 wicket today or escaped with a draw off the last ball in the previous game. He can run in all day bowling bodyline but is not a lock to get the job done, sorry! An ATG like McGrath had also been part of losses but was never beaten this comprehensively as far as I can remember. 

10 minutes ago, nevada said:

Cummins' best wasn't good enough to even get his team close in two games back to back! It's not like we won with just 1 wicket today or escaped with a draw off the last ball in the previous game. He can run in all day bowling bodyline but is not a lock to get the job done, sorry! An ATG like McGrath had also been part of losses but was never beaten this comprehensively as far as I can remember. 

That's credit to Indian batsmen. Think Aussie bowlers did the best they could.

50 minutes ago, nevada said:

But wasnt good enough to break the Vihari-Ash partnership for 42 overs! And wasn't good enough today either, just couldn't get the job done against rookie batsmen! That's 2 strikes out of two against him. 

I would put that to our resistance against him. He was still bowling effort balls. Its more of a case of us batting well than him not bowling well. Lyon and Starc maybe an issue but certainly not Cummins and Hazelwood

9 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

I have got to say he bowled like a machine. Got wickets and maintained pressure all through.

BUT at the same time our left handers Rishabh pant, washington sundar and jadeja played him off quite easily. He is lethal against righties but lefties handle him easily. That's what I observed.

Conceded six and four in one over against rookie Sundar to turn the chase on its head. One more strike against Cummins! Sure, he ran in like a machine all day but choked the key moments. 

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Hats off to him. 

Bowled a lot of overs and he was most times unplayaable. Absolute champion bowler. Tested our guys a lot

He ran in hard everytime they needed a wicket and bowled many spells. His fitness and athleticism warrants salute. Did not break down at all till the end.

True definition of “giving it all”.  He is going to be our biggest challenge in the future also. He has earned respect. 

Well bowled Cummins. 

Absolutely repsect to him. He is an ATG reat. 

He needs to show he is quality in India too though. 

46 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

I have got to say he bowled like a machine. Got wickets and maintained pressure all through.

BUT at the same time our left handers Rishabh pant, washington sundar and jadeja played him off quite easily. He is lethal against righties but lefties handle him easily. That's what I observed.

very valid observation. he averages 19 against right handers and 27 against left handers.. one of the reasons for not being able to stop stokes on that day 

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

err the tennis comparison doesn’t hold. Djokovic that match was like a clueless English batsman holding on for dear life, hoping for a bad ball by Ambrose steaming in. wawrinka absolutely blasted him out of the court that day. Besides, Nadal in French Open is the poison pill : he has been beaten there only twice, ever and neither player who beat him could win the trophy. Ie: nobody wins the French open if Nadal is on the other side of the court to them.  

1 hour ago, nevada said:

McGrath had mark taylor, steve waugh and ricky ponting as captains and shane warne as spinning partner. Cummins has mental midget paine and fattu lyon.. a pacer can't win day 5 alone, no pacer can. he needs support from the spinner and captain. 

The one important thing to remember about Cummins is to be patient with your career. Cummins when he burst into the scene was the most injury prone bowler ever, undergoing stress fractures of the back, shin, etc and couldn’t even play 2 matches back to back very well.

just goes on to show what one can accomplish with method and patience.

2 hours ago, Serpico said:

McGrath had mark taylor, steve waugh and ricky ponting as captains and shane warne as spinning partner. Cummins has mental midget paine and fattu lyon.. a pacer can't win day 5 alone, no pacer can. he needs support from the spinner and captain. 

He has an ATG pace attack support. India's bowling attack at full strength is better.

Starc Hazelwood Cummins is still a deadly combo. Credit to Indian batsmen for decimating them