Does Kohli have ZERO conscience?

14 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

How can anyone even with an iota of conscience left stick to captaincy a few hours after his stand-in captain had delivered perhaps the biggest test series win of all times? With what face will Kohli justify Rahane not being the captain? Kohli doing the honorable thing and stepping down would have only given a much bigger PR boost to his image (which he so brazenly chases and craves for).

It's not that Kohli hasn't had his time as a captain. He completed 6 years as a test captain sometime back, that's more than an adequate length for any captain. Why can't he just step aside handing over the leadership to a more deserving captain?

Or do the financial benefits attached to captaincy trump all moral and ethical values?

P.S  - the thread is about Kohli the captain and not him as a batsman. I did not want to create this negative thread on such a joyous day but doing so because of the team announcement earlier in the day.

I am torn about his.  Initially felt the same way as you.  

But when you think about it it, most athletes reach the highest levels by carrying an undying confidence in their own ability to do anything.  I'll bet that, as a proud international athlete, he feels he could have achieved the same thing and now wants to prove it.  It's an ego that helps them get to the top, but can be a downfall during moments that call for self-reflection.  Moreover, when the board gives you a responsibility, you don't back away from it - people will call you a quitter.  Even you and I would probably accept the responsibility even if we knew heart of hearts that another person would probably do a better job.    

3 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Some things like the birth of your child transcend sports, and is not the same as quitting.  

He could've played one more test at the MCG, people have sacrificed more much more heck in fact Brat himself did it when his father passed away! The guy seems to think he's achieved it all already? I don't see the same hunger in him as we saw 7-8 years back understandable, but then you add his shambolic captaincy & basically he's like the captain on the Titanic - there's only 1 outcome, no matter how many times you re-play that scenario!

Edited by R!TTER
2 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

He could've played one more test at the MCG, people have sacrificed more much more heck in fact Brat himself did it when his father passed away! The guy seems to think he's achieved it all already? I don't see the same hunger in him as we saw 7-8 years back understandable, but then you add his shambolic captaincy & basically he's like the captain on the Titanic - there's only 1 outcome, no matter how many times you re-play that scenario!

Yeah, his dad died when he was an 18 yr old kid.  You are going to use that against him now?  Maybe he regrets that moment and does not want it to happen again.  Nothing wrong with that.  

8 minutes ago, nevada said:

Not just that, he is hogging all the credit for this win via his proxy Shastri with  Virat is very much here and his intensity has fired up the boys bs. These two have no shame whatsoever. 

Which is why I have been saying Shastri-Kohli duo will go back to their old ways and will do everything they can to destroy Gill, Pant and Siraj, which is what they have been doing over the last 2 years.

The egomaniac Kohli will never let Rohit, Pujara and Ashwin get involved in team decisions as well as they were in last 3 test. 

Where did I use it against him? He simply doesn't have that hunger while batting, are you disputing that fact? He was never a great captain, bog avg in fact & now it's clear his tactics have been poor to absolutely horrendous in the last few years - do you want me to count them? Because I sure as hell can - in fact there's at least half a dozen games in which we never competed because of his teams selections & tactics!

Edited by R!TTER
Just now, ShoonyaSifar said:

Which is why I have been saying Shastri-Kohli duo will go back to their old ways and will do everything they can to destroy Gill, Pant and Siraj, which is what they have been doing over the last 2 years.

The egomaniac Kohli will never let Rohit, Pujara and Ashwin get involved in team decisions as well as they were in last 3 test. 

I am hopeful he will have learned a thing or two about captaincy, and added it to his repertoire.  We shall see.

This is good for Kohli, his issue was with Rohit because he was the only guy who could keep

up with his stature but now he has 5-6 guys who can match him equally. May be this will bring him down to earth by that don’t mean he is arrogant but he can relax that he is not the start and end of this team.

Just now, R!TTER said:

Where did I use it against him? He simply doesn't have that hunger while batting, are you deputing that fact? He was never a great captain, bog avg in fact & now it's clear his tactics have been poor to absolutely horrendous in the last few years - do you want me to count them? Because I sure as hell can - in fact there's at least half a dozen games in which we never competed because of his teams selections & tactics!

I think you are misunderstanding my point:  I just didn't think it is fair to call his decision to be with his family "quitting" or compare it to what happened in 2006 when his dad died.  And the early departure many have had to do with Covid protocols.  Not our place to judge that particular call.

As for the other points tangential to this thread: I don't know if he doesn't have the hunger for runs, or if his skills have diminished a bit.  He is still one of the best.  As for captaincy, he was always a decent test captain, and must be credited for some things - like bringing fast bowling to the fore in Indian cricket.