Can Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammad Shami get to 300 test wickets?

Majestic

26 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Shami's average of 32 is hurt because of flat 2014-15 Australian patta wickets. He was India's by far best bowler in that series but averaged 35 because of patta wickets. Everyone averaged 30+ including Aussies pacers.

Yeah those were disgraceful pitches...  Peak Johnson got smacked in those tracks.  Smith made merry & so did Kohli..  I actually don't rate the centuries these two piled up on those pan cakes.  Barring Brisbane each track was for stat padding. 

Sadly for Aussies we came back with respectable 2-0 defeat

6 minutes ago, New guy said:

all of them excel  in england and NZ. We need a swing bowler in those countries instead of Shami,  maybe Siraj. Ishant and bumrah do well there anyways 

During our last tour to England and NZ, Bhuvi was injured. Otherwise he would have been an automatic choice for those tours.

For this upcoming tour to England ... I too think that Bumrah, Ishant and Siraj would be the ideal choice in tests. 

Is Shami actually 30? Have a feeling that he is atleast 32-33.. he took 50 matches to reach 180. Might take another 35 matches to reach 300.. so he would have to play for another 4 years after he comes from  injury and shouldn't have any dip in form either considering out bench strength.. don't think its possible. Might reach 250 and retire.

His avg was 32 at 20th match in 2016. Brought it down to 29 by 40th match and 27.5 by 50th match. If he plays another 20 matches with at least 10 matches at home, he might bring it down to 25.5-26 by the time he retires

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Problem with Shami in England and New Zealand has been his seam position. He bowls with upright seam which helps in getting bounce but doesn't help in swinging the ball.

Shami is so short but has still been a premier fast bowler because of the zip and bounce he gets due to his upright seam position.

We just play 2 tests in NZ every 5 or 6 years. He won't have to worry about another NZ tour in his life.

Apart from the upcoming England tour, Shami will be a good bowler everywhere else.

Another aspect is experience. Who knows, with so much experience, he may even do well in England using seam movement, pace, bounce and accuracy  (  although I would prefer Siraj in his place in England )

I'm not worried about the bowling and pick whomever you guys want to and that's fine with me

But I need to see positions from 5-8 filled with batting and bowling all rounders.

I need to see Pant, Pandya, Jadeja and Ashwin more in these slots often. I'd also fill shardul and Sundar then and there if any of the above are injured. 

Batting has been our weakness in overseas tests and I'd like to see the lower order armored up to take on seaming and swinging conditions.

If I pick Pandya and Jadeja I have the option to fill either one extra batsman or a bowler.

No. Neither will they get close to 300 wickets, nor will Ashwin, Jadeja get those lofty milestones like Kumble/Bhajji, 5fers, 10fers etc. And I want it to be that way, let them split wickets among them and emulate GOAT WI...Holding, Garner, Roberts all picked 200-250 wickets. Marshall 300+ since less competition in mid-late 80s. What they do as a unit interests me, don't care about silly milestones. 

Just now, Gollum said:

No. Neither will they get close to 300 wickets, nor will Ashwin, Jadeja get those lofty milestones like Kumble/Bhajji, 5fers, 10fers etc. And I want it to be that way, let them split wickets among them and emulate GOAT WI...Holding, Garner, Roberts all picked 200-250 wickets. Marshall 300+ since less competition in mid-late 80s. What they do as a unit interests me, don't care about silly milestones. 

Ashwin already crossed Bhajji in terms of 5fers and 10fers. He just need one more 10fer to equal Kumble's 8. Very much possible in this series since jaddu isn't playing

8 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Ashwin already crossed Bhajji in terms of 5fers and 10fers. He just need one more 10fer to equal Kumble's 8. Very much possible in this series since jaddu isn't playing

I was thinking more like Ash vs Kumble and Jaddu vs Bhajji. Ash won't take 600 wickets, won't have many 5fers, 10fers left in his kitty and that is fine. Let us stop worrying about their personal stats and see how they do as a unit. Ashwin in this Aus tour bowled so well, one of the best performances by a visiting spinner in Aus and much better than 2010-11 Swann. Now I don't care that he didn't take a 5fer, prefer this version of Ashwin who is an impact player and as big a threat as Bumrah irrespective of conditions.

As you said he will get better chances to get 5fers, 10fers in this home series, completely agree but I won't worry too much about it. I would very much like it if Kuly, Axar, Siraj too eat into Ash's quota, enjoying this pack mentality of our bowling unit. Long may it continue.