Jump to content
zen

India needs sporting pitches to improve its overall cricket

Recommended Posts

India needs to play on sporting pitches 

 

There was a time when Ind struggled a lot overseas. In general, the batsmen could not put on an avg of 700 runs per tests, while the bowlers gave away too many. The best way for the team to notch up a few wins was at home and that too by creating extremely turning pitches. If you followed cricket since the 90s, you would find likes of Raju, Joshi, Kumble, Bhajji, Ashwin, Jadeja, etc. pick up tons of wkts on such surfaces, while drawing a blank in relatively unhelpful conditions. The visiting teams would usually lack too many quality spinners so Ind's batsmen would have a good time. At the stadiums, you would find crowds that usually only clapped for the home team. This "system" created a vicious cycle, promoting the "come to Ind" attitude. Day 4/5 is usually considered bad/tough for batting but you could find pitches that behaved like Day 4/5 on Day 1. Often comparisons are drawn with "green" pitches, which unlike extreme turners (usually prepared by leaving the pitch unprepared), can be found in many countries and can even be prepared in countries like India. It is difficult to find pitches which act like day 4 or 5 on day 1.  Many times, it can feel as if people only follow cricket to watch Ind win and in the process support such pitches even at the expense of dull cricket. 

 

Now those were different times. We need to look forward to new challenges to reach new heights. Today, India is one of the top sides. If Ind has to be a dominant force in most conditions, it would need to play more on sporting pitches which has something for batsmen, pacers and spinners. Playing on sporting pitches will also create more exciting games and more capable cricketers including spinners who can be more competitive in relatively unhelpful conditions.

 

As fans, we have to eventually evolve too (not get restricted by the 90s mindset), to be able to sit back and enjoy the game. Cheer good cricket from both teams. When watching a game, imagine that you are watching it with friends that support the other team. Cricket is a game (don't get caught up in its marketing as a religion) that you watch to have a good time, and like there is a new day, there is a new game. 

 

Just my 2 cents! 

 

 

Edited by zen
Link to post
2 hours ago, Jay said:

We do prepare sporting tracks as witnessed vs s.africa. 

 

However India is missing 4 of their bets players hence they prepared Turner's. That's all there is to this theory of us preparing and underprepared pitch. 

Correct.

 

If we had a full healthy squad in form, that would be great to prepare a pitch that assisted pace/swing bowling, I would love to see Bumrah, Ishant, Shami and Umesh then Jadeja/Ashwin bowl on it. We dont, so we need to cater the pitch to suit our current predicament given injuries.

 

India have already proven they can win on fast tracks, from our recent tour of Australia.

 

England have a a better and healthier pace attack and will destroy us, there is little to gain and a lot to lose like qualifying for the WTC Final.

 

Blow the pitch up, make it turn from Over 1, Ball 1.

Link to post
1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

Correct.

 

If we had a full healthy squad in form, that would be great to prepare a pitch that assisted pace/swing bowling, I would love to see Bumrah, Ishant, Shami and Umesh then Jadeja/Ashwin bowl on it. We dont, so we need to cater the pitch to suit our current predicament given injuries.

 

India have already proven they can win on fast tracks, from our recent tour of Australia.

 

England have a a better and healthier pace attack and will destroy us, there is little to gain and a lot to lose like qualifying for the WTC Final.

 

Blow the pitch up, make it turn from Over 1, Ball 1.

india have the best bowling attack in the world at full strenght. i dont believe even current english bowlers can outbowl our bowlers in india on sporting tracks. bumrah, siraj and ishant are all good bowlers. however it is risky because conditions can vary for both teams. whereas with out full strength bowling for indian conditions, even the cloud wont save anderson or england because umesh, shami and jaddu will take the pitch out of the equation. 

Link to post
4 hours ago, zen said:

 

There has always been an excuse ... while teams such as Eng confidently rotate their players at will 

They rotate Anderson and Archer because they lack the stamina to maintain optimal peak levels for consecutive tests. 

 

Archer typically breaks down quick if he has put in a lot of shifts just after 1 test. 

 

Anderson is old. Hence, he was rotated to keep him fresh for pink ball. His body can't handle too many spells. 

 

Rotating buttler for flakes who is a better player of spin? Not so sure. 

 

Bairstow was injured. Wood only comes in for the 3rd test and he isnt their starter. 

 

Seems pretty forced to me. Maybe rotated one player at best. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Jay said:

They rotate Anderson and Archer because they lack the stamina to maintain optimal peak levels for consecutive tests. 

 

Archer typically breaks down quick if he has put in a lot of shifts just after 1 test. 

 

Anderson is old. Hence, he was rotated to keep him fresh for pink ball. His body can't handle too many spells. 

 

Rotating buttler for flakes who is a better player of spin? Not so sure. 

 

Bairstow was injured. Wood only comes in for the 3rd test and he isnt their starter. 

 

Seems pretty forced to me. Maybe rotated one player at best. 

Rotation also sows doubts in the mind of players. Even management will not be sure who to play. I remember Australia used to do this. They stopped it because it can counter productive. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

2nd test Chennai and this test pitch >> 1st test pitch in Chennai. 1st test was more like win the toss win the match. these tests are not that straight forward

Iirc, the soil colour of first test pitch looked red  while all others were same which means rest all were “ Made In India” pitches.  If anything, first pitch should be considered doctored and  unfair to Indian conditions. 10 years down the line someone may call Root gun spin bat simply because stas will show he averaged similar to Smith.

Edited by mishra
Link to post

Even If you bring bradman or whoever was best player of spin on these pitches against ashwin & axar they will struggle to score good. Imagine our own batsman facing our spinners on these pitches. I doubt our batsman can reach even 200. Yes we should have pitches which help our spinners but you want to see opposition score at least 250 - 300 runs in their first innings and have decent contest in match.

Link to post
41 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Even If you bring bradman or whoever was best player of spin on these pitches against ashwin & axar they will struggle to score good. Imagine our own batsman facing our spinners on these pitches. I doubt our batsman can reach even 200. Yes we should have pitches which help our spinners but you want to see opposition score at least 250 - 300 runs in their first innings and have decent contest in match.

Does SENA team also keep these points in mind while they prepare the pitch for India.To heck with contest crush them all. They should be ashamed of they can't play spin. And whatever apply to Indian batters that they don't face ashwin and axar, isn't it the same for England batters that they don't face andu, broad in swinging condition where they use to roll us within 150 on numerous occasions.

Edited by raki05
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...