Team for the last two T20s v Eng

zen

I am least bothered about loses in bilaterals as long as it helps to build an optimized team for world events, which take place relatively more frequently now. A few points that Ind may need to consider heading into the last two T20s w/ 3 ODIs and IPL to come: 

• KL: Looks rusty but expected to be in the WC11. So do Ind want him to get back in form for the 3 ODIs or want him to get back to his best during the IPL 
  • Saini, Tewatia (if fit) and SKY: Need to give them the remaining 2 games. These guys are highly suitable for the T20 format. Pace has worked for Eng so Saini can be useful  
  • Iyer: Did relatively well but would he in the scheme of things of a place in the first 11 in the WC (can be a backup) 

Can try the below but these guys should ideally play the 2 games: 

KL (or Rohit per the point on KL mentioned above) 

Kishan

Rohit/Kohli (if senior players are  to be rotated to give more youngsters a shot)

SKY

Pant

SDP

Tewatia

Sundar

Thakur/Axar (additional seamer v spinner)

Saini 

Bhuvi

I guess, Natarajan and Varun C are still unavailable 

Kohli, Kishan, Iyer, SKY, Pant, Pandya, Sundar, Tewatia, Axar, Saini, Bhuvi 

This provides flexibility of six bowlers, and you can't ignore the success of Sundar and Axar as bowlers in IPL.

I would like Lokesh in, but seems mentally shot. Iyer plays unfortunately. 

I don't get this fascination of batting deep, when wickets fall early, the middle order slows down anyways and the later order hardly gets to bat.

If wickets don't fall, then.....

Thakur and Sundar were hardly needed.

29 minutes ago, zen said:

I am least bothered about loses in bilaterals as long as it helps to build an optimized team for world events, which take place relatively more frequently now. A few points that Ind may need to consider heading into the last two T20s w/ 3 ODIs and IPL to come: 

• KL: Looks rusty but expected to be in the WC11. So do Ind want him to get back in form for the 3 ODIs or want him to get back to his best during the IPL 
  • Saini, Tewatia (if fit) and SKY: Need to give them the remaining 2 games. These guys are highly suitable for the T20 format. Pace has worked for Eng so Saini can be useful  
  • Iyer: Did relatively well but would he in the scheme of things of a place in the first 11 in the WC (can be a backup) 

Can try the below but these guys should ideally play the 2 games: 

KL (or Rohit per the point on KL mentioned above) 

Kishan

Rohit/Kohli (if senior players are  to be rotated to give more youngsters a shot)

SKY

Pant

SDP

Tewatia

Sundar

Thakur/Axar (additional seamer v spinner)

Saini 

Bhuvi

I guess, Natarajan and Varun C are still unavailable 

I would definitely play Varun C. Yo-yo test can wait

3 minutes ago, chewy said:

This provides flexibility of six bowlers, and you can't ignore the success of Sundar and Axar as bowlers in IPL.

I don't get this fascination of batting deep, when wickets fall early, the middle order slows down anyways and the later order hardly gets to bat.

That’s why I can’t fathom the approach of consolidating. You cannot be all out with all this batting in 20 overs. Just hit out FFS

5 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

That’s why I can’t fathom the approach of consolidating. You cannot be all out with all this batting in 20 overs. Just hit out FFS

Fear of failure and hero worship for quantity of runs.

Can only explain timid approach nowadays from Rahul.

These bumkin openers want to spend 3-4 overs of power play to 'settle' in, plodding and dabbing and then consolidate next 10 overs, to not loose wickets. 

Once they reach their man of the match 60 of 50 balls, get out and then handover to Pandya and Pant to smack at 300 SR in last 4-5 overs to reach 180. 

Credit to the openers for building the foundations :hysterical:

England batting, Butler smashes 100 off 60 balls, game over in 18 overs

Dhawan (thighs are well oiled to be slapped when England are at 160/2)

Rohit (some more lazy batting) 

LOL (captain lord loudmouth)

Iyer (extra anchor to ensure ship doesn't explode during wreckage) 

Rahul (new position to screw him more) 

Pandya (finisher supremo but England needs to play Tom curran please) 

Sundar (best spinner of the team who gets underutilized) 

Thakur (phast bowling all-rounder)

Bhuvi (to trundle at the death) 

Chahal (who else will go for 45 odd every game Otherwise!) 

Saini (RCB quota!) 

43 minutes ago, chewy said:

Exactly right.

You could have Pandya at 11 and its irrelevant if the top order do not attack from ball 1.

India does not need to bat deep, they need 4 quality bowlers and 7 batsmen.

Even if the bowlers can bat, they will rarely win a game. Mind you Jaddu coming in as a bowler gives late hitting power. in the lineup/

18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

1. Rohit

2. Kishan

3. Kohli

4. Rahul

5. Pant

6. Hardik

7. Shardul

8. Sundar

9. R.Chahar

10. Bhuvi

11. Saini 

Let Rahul come in the middle order and find back his touch.

I would drop KL just for this series, allow him the time in the IPL to regain his touch and take his time.

Need to trial what a successful replacement could do. Like a SKY for the last 2 T20I

Rohit

KL (looks out of form, these are bilaterals anyway and can be given couple more opportunities)

Kohli

Washington (should just go for shots, there are others who can play steady)

Pant

Ishan Kishan

Pandya

Shardul

Rahul Chahar (should be given a go as Chahal seems too predictable)

B Kumar

Deepak Chahar (need some decent opening seamer in first 6 overs)

These give you batting till 8, 6 bowling options. Deepak will be replaced by Bumrah and probably Ishan could be replaced by Jaddu, giving more batting and bowling.

KL is probably the best T20 batsman in this lineup IMO, if he comes back to form, he will win matches on his own.

Tired of playing this "select a team" game, knowing that none of the newcomer-laden teams will become reality.  

3 steps to fan agony: 

(1) Keep yelling on ICF "play the newbies, play the newbies, give them a chance, play the newbies."

(2) Keep refreshing ICF and Cricinfo right around toss time.

(3) Throw the phone at the wall when VK announces "two changes ... Dhawan takes the place of Pant and will open the innings with Rohit. Pant needs to work on running between wickets, Shahbaz Nadeem comes in place of Washi ... he took Buttler's wicket in 2001 in U-14 cricket ... blah blah ..."

Top Priorities before T20WC -21 -

1.Find the opener who is a dasher . Inthis series test Ishaan in nest 3 matches .If he can have 50% success against one of the best opening bowling pair , we should think Ishhan is fixed. In any case Rahul has proven as an opener earlier , he just needs to get going again . No need to play  him as opener in this series .

If Ishaan fails in this series then TM will  need to test some one else for that role . Not sure if there is enough time now. 

2. Find The best MO player - Test SKY for rest of matches . Next series onwards , whoever fails as opener between Ishaan & KL  should be tested for MO position-  Hence Iyer, SKY, Ishaan, KL should be MO contenders as a pool. 

3. Find second spinner in place of Chahal - Test Rahul Chahar this series . 

Finding an answer for above should be the goal irrespective of the result.

We most likely will lose this series..  So I don't mind going a bit bold. 

Rohit

Kishan

Surya 

Rahul

Pant

Hardik

Tewatia 

Sundar

Shardul 

Bhuvi

Rahul Chahar (can still win us imo) 

6 bowling options.  Two gun T20 spinners.  2 A/R (Pace + Spin)  batting depth.  What more do you need?  Vote of confidence to Rahul