Which ICC Trophy disappointment hurt most since 2013?

4 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

smashed Pak and  BD in SF

That exactly doesnt qualify as the best team. We didnt play aus eng nz.. actually champions trophy thats why is a bit flawed.. 5 games and you win a trophy.. round robin world cup is the real test and in that sense I guess india did quite well in 2019. The sf lose was due to the match being carried out on day 2 when pitch became very difficult after staying under covers for 14 hrs.. if the match would have finished the same day we would have won..

13 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

wc 2019 doesn't count because while we had many bases covered, everyone and their dog could see that our middle order and complete lack of proper finishers - *cough* dhoni *cough* - meant that we were always going to be tested at some point when our top 3 failed and that happened in the semi. this after we had similar problems even in 2015 and didn't address it. I blame that on poor selection and preparations. of the lot the most winnable ones were the wt20 2014 and the ct final in 2017. Our poor tactics meant we were under par in that wankhede ground against a wi batting line up loaded with hitters and having to bowl under lights with dew.

Exactly .2019 wc semi finals wasnt a disappointment for me or any other normal fan because you could see from miles away that one such day will happen and probability of that happening in the KO was huge.

We even had a thread on icf before the WC ,where would India finish and most of the icfers voted for sf or finals lol.

The middle order was non existent throughout the tournament and selectors picked up a poor squad tbh .

OT ,I would pick 2015 Semi finals defeat vs Australia.  

We were having a dream run and I had the belief that we could somehow pull that chase off but once kohli went it was curtains ! I was very sad and disappointed that day especially after such a great underdog run .

Next would be CT17 , that shamelessness on display should never be forgot .

Wt20 16 sf next , wt14 final next 

WC 19 top4 should have taken responsibility when they always used to in useless bilaterals

CT17 choking against borderline minnows was utter disappointment

T20WC2016 still feel ended up with underpar score, bowling choked specially Ashwin,Bumrah

T20WC14 That SL side was bullet,they had Sanga,Mahela,Dilshan,Malinga

Credit to Malinga architect of famous win

CT2017 has to be it. Overwhelming favorites to win the final but suffered a massive, humiliating defeat. A close contest wouldn't have hurt that much because it's a game that anyone can win on a given day. But to lose like novices and then laugh like a hyena at the presentation ceremony was as sad as it gets. 

Loss to NZ was devastating. Should have won it all. The reason for loss was simple, who the hell plays 3 wkt kprs. After that they held on to both Kohli and Shastri sending a message that being mediocre is acceptable.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:32 AM, ShoonyaSifar said:

2017 CT. We were the best team of the tournament, losing to a rag tag Pakistani team (Fakhar hit a 100 :facepalm:)

In 2015, we lost to the best team of the tournament. In 2019, we had completely messed up the team selection and were not going to win anyways

WC 2019 obviously, no one really cares about Champions trophy other than ICF

On Wed Mar 31 2021 at 7:51 AM, adi B said:

OT ,I would pick 2015 Semi finals defeat vs Australia.  

We were having a dream run and I had the belief that we could somehow pull that chase off but once kohli went it was curtains ! I was very sad and disappointed that day especially after such a great underdog run .

Next would be CT17 , that shamelessness on display should never be forgot .

Wt20 16 sf next , wt14 final next 

I had the similar feeling..  That Start by Dhawan gave me a hope of something unreal.  Then Kohli the GOAT choker walked in & killed the chase.  Johnson owned him so badly  1(11)  goddamn I was f*** angry after all the antics he pulled on those flat Pancakes of Aus series & then Finally got his a** whooped by Johnson.   No wonder he still trolls his fans by reminding them what he did to him that day. 

Ct 2017 hurts the most, we were easily better than Pakistan 

In t20 wc 14 and 16 we were carried by a single Man(Kohli) throughout the tournaments so obviously we deserved to lose. 

In wc 2015 we were never the favorites, the fact that we lost 0 matches in group stage was shocking. 

In wc 2019, again we weren't the favourites and also we were unlucky as we got tough conditions, our batsman piss their pants whenever they see lateral movement, so obviously we were going to lose. 

I remember thousands of laughable theories coming up about why we lost the semi final, the fact that even after continuous humiliations we don't realise that it was lateral movement which caused our downfall makes us delusional. Improve batting against swing and Seam and we will win every 50 over and test tournament out there

Edited by Adamant

WT20 2014 - india were favorites going in, was on top until Yuvrajs innings, kudos to Sri Lanka for great death bowling at that period, esp captain malinga and kulasekara, keeping an in form kohli off strike too. Even after that had Sangakkara fell earlier, India may have had a sniff 

Champions trophy 2017 - India favs before the match. Pakistan just played really well, many performers for the team including fakhar, Malik, Azhar, Hafeez, Babar, Amir, Hassan Ali, shadab, all chipping in. They had 2 outstanding yet contrasting performances, one in the semi where they bowled really well and chased a smallish total down, and the final where they posted a big total and defended spectacularly.  The bumrah no ball was turning point

World t20 2016 - Home tournament. India looked favorites until the Ashwin no ball. Even after that, the pandya no ball, the jadeja catch that ended up 6, any of them would probably have turned the Match. Had they won, would probably have started favorites for the final too at home against England. Excellent power hitting from the windies who followed the same approach and won the tournament  

World Cup 2019 - should have been chased of atlesst one of the top four grinded it out there, or if pant/Pandya stayed longer, or if Jadeja didn’t get out or dhoni not been run out (the last case was still difficult). Excellent from New Zealand for batting patiently and posting a competitive score, outstanding fielding (esp karthiks catch, Jadejas catch which was a high pressure one and dhonis runout), and then superb opening overs by boult and Henry. They followed a similar approach in the final and came oh so close to winning the title. Even if India won the semi, england still would have been favorites in the final at home, which is why I listed it low on disappointment scale. After the semi, I was disappointed that the world didn’t get an england India blockbuster in the final at lords but then the final happened, and turned out to be the greatest cricket Match ever played 

World Cup 2015 - Australia in a World Cup knockout is difficult to beat, and were favorites, which is why it was the least disappointing. India bowled relatively well, picking up regular wickets although it was a Mitchell Johnson cameo at the end that turned the tide. The chase looked on for the first 12 overs or so but when dhawan got out, and with Kohli struggling, it was too tall an ask. The aussies were deserved winners, too much depth and they of course breezed to the title. An in form New Zealand at home vs a peaking experienced India at the eden park Auckland would have been a good contest to watch but the aussies were always going to win that. The only way to stop them was if they stumbled and got a semi date with New Zealand in New Zealand 

10 hours ago, sarchasm said:

We weren't unlucky. We were crippled by Kohli who chose Jadhav and Dhoni and shafted the team by playing Rayudu till the last ODI series in the run-up to the WC. Panicked like only he does and inducted Pant as substitute for Vijay without ever giving him a chance, a proper chance, in the run-up to the world cup. Kohli shitting his pajama in semis was cherry on top.

As i said, our players can't bat against swing and seam and that is the reason we lost, it has nothing to do with team selection.  I remember how posters here were hyping up Iyer at that time ab dekho aa gaye line par. 

Some also complained about selecting Bhuvi over Shami even though bhuvi's performance was good enough. 

This Whataboutery about mental strength and  giving chances before wc is just delusion. 

Seam swing khelna seekho sab jeet jaoge. 

You could have selected any eleven and we would have failed. 

Edited by Adamant