Are the Indian youngsters overrated

Indian Youngsters  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are the young Indian batsmen overrated

• Yes, there is more hype than substance
    • No, they are not

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Shaw and SKY are top class.

Kishan and Rahul Chahar have the potential to be good.

Samson has temperament issues. Flatters to deceive. 

All the other youngsters in this squad are average.

Almost agree with U.

However, do u really consider Shaw as top class?    Does not he look clueless while facing spinners?

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

You missed Deepak Chahar, he will push Bhuvi for a slot in the main XI

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Paddikal and Varun arent average. Varun will do well in T20s

7 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

They are good and deservingly playing, though I would doubt the inclusion of K Gowtham in this team, I don't find his bowling special. Our batters are really good against pace but theirs a big question mark over their spin playing ability, and that "Indians Play spin better" is a thing of past.

I rate only SKY, Shaw , Ishaan/Samson in that order among batsmen.

Rate only Rahul Chahar(not yet fully developed ) & Deepak Chahar in that order  among those who played so far.

Rest - i doubt Goutham, Sakaria, Rana  making it to Indian Team . Even Saini will have a tough time . 

Among seniors- Manish should be given farewell , Kuldeep should not be selected for WC.  

Hardik -Disappointed ,   

Krunal - Not fit for 50 overs .

Chahal - Will hang on & get selected for T20WC. But want RC to take his place.

Things to watch out for me in T20 series & wishing for--

1.Shaw & SKY cementing their place for future T20s.

2. Rahul Chahar & Varun C cementing their place in T20s. 

6 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Disagree on Shaw. Scoring cameos opening against this line up and no visible improvement in fielding or fitness. Some checks have to be made. He should have scored some daddy 100’s here. 

Sky,Chahar bros are the standouts for me

Kishen: impressive in parts.

Samson is Samson. Fluent shots followed by a brain fart.

Shaw, SKY, Kishan, Chahars, Samson to an extent - that's 6 players from this team who can easily replace our LOI regulars and do better.  I even liked Sakariya. Doesn't have the speed but has the skills. Not bad to have such bowlers in your reserve pool.

Kuldeep and Chahal should not have been picked.

Saini was disappointing.

Gowtham and Rana clearly looked under pressure on their debut. Can happen to the best.

2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Shaw, SKY, Kishan, Chahars, Samson to an extent - that's 6 players from this team who can easily replace our LOI regulars and do better.  I even liked Sakariya. Doesn't have the speed but has the skills. Not bad to have such bowlers in your reserve pool.

Kuldeep and Chahal should not have been picked.

Saini was disappointing.

Gowtham and Rana clearly looked under pressure on their debut. Can happen to the best.

Have to see more gametime tbh. Too early. Cant just decide based on one game. Need to give the young ins 2 full series. 

6 hours ago, zen said:

One only needs to see performances of Tendulkar (hit is first ODI 100 in 1994), Yuvi, Rohit, etc., early on in their careers ... 

Comparing Tendulkar young, these players will look like veterans. They aren't that young.

1 hour ago, Frustrated said:

It's unfair to expect too much from our inexperienced bench so early against top teams.

But it is fair to expect them to win us matches against 9th ranked team which has been on continuous decline.   They failed in that front as well in 2 out of 3 games.  

The argument would have been valid if this was a properly young team. They had three passengers in seniors Dhawan, Pandey and Hardik. All three failed together in last 2 matches. That's 3 of the top 7. No wonder the team struggled.

As for them being 9th ranked, that's primarily because they can't/haven't won away from home. In last 3 years, at home, they have a W/L record of 10/8, (we have a W/L of 11/7 at home). Vs full strength top teams they have struggled with India and Eng having thrashed them 0-5 and 0-4  but they blanked WI and BD 0-3 each and lost to SA 2-3. Still okayish at home despite their issues

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

People expect perfect cricketers from word go. It takes time at international level only to reach peak. A min 60-100 odi or 5 yrs has been observed in so many cases. 

You are absolutely right, youngsters will not be world beaters at once but they are good enough play at international level & still win, that's what matters. Infact they have got better starts then some Indian legends who took their sweet time to mature & become consistent.

But this privilege is not for people like Hardik Pandya who are with this Indian side since 2016, good 5 years. We as fans expect him to reach the next level but he has not. I have high expectations from him & want him to be one of leading players in the world now, not some random finisher for India.

Edited by SK_IH