Kohli does NOT bloody belong to the BIG 4

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Before 2016 - avg 44 in 41 matches

SInce 2019 - avg 39 in 17 matches

58 matches - 3951 runs at avg of 43 with 13 centuries

2016-2018, 35 matches 3956 runs at avg of 65 and 14 centuries.

Exactly this. overrated is the right word for him.  Not in a league of Sachin Dravid.  They both beat him in ability talent & numbers. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

There was never a big 4, only a big 1. Test cricket is the ultimate format, and Smith since 2014 has averaged 10-20 runs more than these 3 at any point of time. Statistically that is the same gap between these 3 and Bairstow, never seen people club (test) mediocrity like Bairstow with Kohli or Kane. Except one series against NZ, he has always (8-9 times) beaten them H2H in test series (when Kohli had a monster series in 2014-15 Smith scored 800:laugh:), not just beaten, dominated (away NZ 2016, Ind 2017, Ashes 2019) .

Crowe coined the term for a different reason. Anyone still using this is just being petty, trying to drag Smith down. Smith will always be in GOAT race, these 3 will be forgotten a couple of years after their retirement....just side shadows in the era of Steve Smith. 

T20 is Smith's weakness but even in ODIs I rate him highly. He has 43/89 stats, 11 100s and 4 top performances in as many ICC WC KO matches. Even in 2019 SF when his team-mates crumbled he fought alone till the end, cruelly stopped by a freakish run out when he was all set to get a 100 and take Australia to a 250+ total. Will take that over performing big against C grade attacks in Pan Bahar series only to choke in big games. Smith was instrumental in a WC win (QF/SF/F batting), that SF 100 took the game away from India. Ok overall Kohli may have better numbers, but did they amount to anything? Root, Kane don't even have crazy numbers in that format.

Edited by Gollum
On 8/6/2021 at 9:24 AM, Gollum said:

There was never a big 4, only a big 1. Test cricket is the ultimate format, and Smith since 2014 has averaged 10-20 runs more than these 3 at any point of time. Statistically that is the same gap between these 3 and Bairstow, never seen people club (test) mediocrity like Bairstow with Kohli or Kane. Except one series against NZ, he has always (8-9 times) beaten them H2H in test series (when Kohli had a monster series in 2014-15 Smith scored 800:laugh:), not just beaten, dominated (away NZ 2016, Ind 2017, Ashes 2019) .

Crowe coined the term for a different reason. Anyone still using this is just being petty, trying to drag Smith down. Smith will always be in GOAT race, these 3 will be forgotten a couple of years after their retirement....just side shadows in the era of Steve Smith. 

T20 is Smith's weakness but even in ODIs I rate him highly. He has 43/89 stats, 11 100s and 4 top performances in as many ICC WC KO matches. Even in 2019 SF when his team-mates crumbled he fought alone till the end, cruelly stopped by a freakish run out when he was all set to get a 100 and take Australia to a 250+ total. Will take that over performing big against C grade attacks in Pan Bahar series only to choke in big games. Smith was instrumental in a WC win (QF/SF/F batting), that SF 100 took the game away from India. Ok overall Kohli may have better numbers, but did they amount to anything? Root, Kane don't even have crazy numbers in that format.

Yes, Smith is the GOAT. I don't know what avg he will end his career with, but I can genuinely say I was very lucky to see him play. Not many players about whom I am willing to say this - Lara and SRT for different reasons come to mind, but Smith is above them both at the moment. Of course, I am commenting on his batting alone... in terms of personality, he is pretty unlikeable to say the least.

Of the so-called Fab 4, I think both Root and Williamson are better than Rat is in Tests. And Smith is far better than anyone else out there. only real competitor as of now is labu.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:22 PM, sage said:

can't compare virat with someone that averaged 58 during the entire 90s 

moD74VYuUM2QzOCwyak3URrDqzODQ4fdbdglTETLIXI.png?width=800&auto=webp&s=89902eb187f0653f70ddf35cd03667871475510b

If you can post the bowlers in this decade you get a real appreciation of the quality of bowlers these players faced.

There is just way too many damn good bowlers of the 90s.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:12 PM, ash said:

Still think he can get his form back if he gives up captaincy, but can he give up his ego and do that? 

Its got nothing to do with captaincy.

He is finished. We are witnessing the progressing decline of Kohli.

He may even score a century here and there, but he is in decline. He is not a reliable contributor to India's batting line up.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:20 PM, sorak said:

Swiped this from reddit:

Most Ducks against England across format:

Glenn Mcgrath-12

Curtly Ambrose - 11

Courtney Walsh - 11

Shaun Pollock - 11

Shane Warne - 11

Brett Lee - 11

Virat Kohli - 10*

Kohli on track to top a record which traditionally bowlers dominate.

Anderson could send him to top place at the end of the next match.

Not sure if this is worth sharing, but I have 2 tickets for the India vs England 4day Test Match on Saturday 4th September. 

My husband and I can no longer go :( :( 

Its in the super exclusive 1845 Terrace, with all day hospitality (food and drinks) tickets at the Oval. https://www.google.com/search?q=1845+terrace+oval&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB891GB891&oq=1845+terrace&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0j0i22i30l4j69i60.2942j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

They are selling for £549 each, but I just don't want them to go to waste and happy to share for what I bought them for (in a silent auction at work) for £450 total. 

Let me know :)