Bronze medal win in hockey bigger than 1983, 2007, 2011 cricket World Cup wins: Gautam Gambhir

speedheat

23 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Do you guys agree? :p:

No.. 2007 and 2011 came in an era when BCCi was a powerful baord and nation was behind cricket 100%

The bronze medal is equivalent to the 1983 win which heralded the shift to cricket for Indians. If this win makes kids and youngsters take up the sport- more media rights will be sold, more eye balls, more advertisements, more money for Hockey India to invest in rural areas esp Punjab, Jharkhand, NE and South and make as many astro turfs, modern hickey sticks, balls, shoes etc. The more people play the sport, the cheaper it will be to buy equipment ( laws of demand and supply)

Our WC winning teams never faced such nonsense umpiring. This was more like SCG 2008 level officiating especially in QF, SF, bronze medal match. 

Imagine, the crooks actually stopped the timer in dying minutes yesterday to give Germans more time to get the equalizer. Clock stopped for 11 seconds when 29 seconds were left in Q4, Germans got a PC in final 6.7 seconds, do the math. I have never seen anything like this in my life, even backyard matches against elder siblings see better officiating. 

Edited by Gollum

42 minutes ago, Lord said:

its just a bronze,lets not get ahead of ourselves

Cricketers play under massive pressure,incomparable to other sports in India

more comparable to 1983 if we lost in the final

what pressure?

the way that Indian captains laugh and joke after losing games… players still in the team after bad form and no contribution?

im sorry to say Indian cricketers have no pressure 

6 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

what pressure?

the way that Indian captains laugh and joke after losing games… players still in the team after bad form and no contribution?

im sorry to say Indian cricketers have no pressure 

current team hasnt won anything anyway.

Talking about those who did.

2 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

No.. 2007 and 2011 came in an era when BCCi was a powerful baord and nation was behind cricket 100%

The bronze medal is equivalent to the 1983 win which heralded the shift to cricket for Indians. If this win makes kids and youngsters take up the sport- more media rights will be sold, more eye balls, more advertisements, more money for Hockey India to invest in rural areas esp Punjab, Jharkhand, NE and South and make as many astro turfs, modern hickey sticks, balls, shoes etc. The more people play the sport, the cheaper it will be to buy equipment ( laws of demand and supply)

I wouldn’t say just hockey, Indian middle class now sees that any sport if the kid has enough talent can be a secure life looking at Saina,Sindhu,Mary Kom or the adulation the hockey team got 

I would have agreed if we won the Olympic gold ,Winning a Hockey gold in a diversified field with almost all the continents competing in it ,would have been a great achievement. 

You can imagine how strong International hockey has become when pakistan currently are ranked 19th .

Winning the bronze medal is also a great achievement!

Winning the cricket world cup In a field of 5-6 major teams is no big achievement for me and we mostly under achieve in cricket tournaments