Playing 11 for the 5th test Manchester - 10 September

SRT100

India need to be really smart here. They lead 2-1 going into the final test. They also need to ensure they have a strong batting lineup to prevent any collapse to allow England the chance to draw the series.

My wish would be for

KL

Hitman

Pujara

Kohli

Mayank/Shaw/Vihari/SKY

Jaddu

Pant

Thakur

Ashwin

Umesh

Bumrah

This gives India a very very long batting lineup. There is enough batting in this team that if we lose a few wickets, we can recover an post a decent total.

Importantly we also need a strong and capable middle order to bat out a draw if placed in a dire situation, like in Australia where Vihari and Ashwin batted out a draw which indirectly led us to winning the series in Brisbane.

3 pace bowlers in Bumrah, Umesh and Thaku

3 spin options if we go with Vihari, Jaddu and Ash.

I think the real choice is between ashwin/ishant and siraj

Rest team will stay the same as much as i would like Rahane to be dropped. Barring injury he isnt going anywhere.

Old trafford does support spin. But the weather atm indicates rain. So i think ishant/siraj will be preferred.

Tough choice for the toss  winning captain. Bat first and potentially overcast conditions. Bat second and if first innings is 200+ you need a really solid innings. 

25 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I think the real choice is between ashwin/ishant and siraj

Rest team will stay the same as much as i would like Rahane to be dropped. Barring injury he isnt going anywhere.

Old trafford does support spin. But the weather atm indicates rain. So i think ishant/siraj will be preferred.

Tough choice for the toss  winning captain. Bat first and potentially overcast conditions. Bat second and if first innings is 200+ you need a really solid innings. 

I dont think Kohli will make the same mistake if there is overcast conditions if he wins the toss.

I do agree about Rahane, he will be there and that may cost India the series at the end if the Poms can win this match. India however do need to solidify the batting in the middle order, Rahane being a walking wicket literally is going to cost India eventually.

If Ashwin comes in and does take wickets and trouble England, it will make Kohli look like a clown, which is why I dont think he will be picked.

Rohit

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Vihari

Pant (wk) 

Shardul

Ashwin

Umesh

Prasidh

Bumrah

OT is a bouncy wicket so perfect place for Prasidh to make his debut and Ashwin too can be handy. Batting may look slightly weak on paper but there isn't much off a drop off. 

Siraj looked absolutely spent in the last 2 tests, so time for him to take a breather. 

Siraj does look a bit spent.

These 5 match series are brutal for pacers, especially when they are either new or aged. There is barely anytime between tests. One day lost in travel and 2 effective days in the middle. 

Anderson was not looking to great towards the end of the Indian innings either. He will still play given that this is the final test and he probably has 2-3 months before the ashes.

Only two changes Shami comes in for Siraj and another batsman (it does not matter who it is as he will be better than Rahane). Kohli's team selection for this series playing 4 pacers has been spot on, This is not India Thakur cannot be your third seamer.Only morons will think Thakur will have same effect if he was third seamer.

It is unfortunate but unless it is completely dry track Ashwin has to sit out.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Rohit

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Vihari

Pant (wk) 

Shardul

Ashwin

Umesh

Prasidh

Bumrah

OT is a bouncy wicket so perfect place for Prasidh to make his debut and Ashwin too can be handy. Batting may look slightly weak on paper but there isn't much off a drop off. 

Siraj looked absolutely spent in the last 2 tests, so time for him to take a breather. 

53 minutes ago, express bowling said:

1. Rohit

2. Rahul

3. Pujara

4. Kohli

5. Mayank

6. Pant

7. Shardul

8. Ashwin 

9. Umesh

10. Bumrah

11. Prasidh / Shami

I love both the lineups. Effectively the same. I do think Ash has to come in for Jaddu, it will offer England something they havent experienced recently and given Jaddu's lack of taking wickets this series, makes it the right decision to make. Ashwin in gives our bowling a variety from the previous tests, that may catch the English off guard.

Mayank/Vihari for Rahane is a must.

FFS this is  for the Test series not a stupid random ODI/T20 series. India can win this series and having either Mayank or Vihari over Rahane improves our chances immensely. It makes our batting lineup look more potent too.

Ashwin has a solid defensive technique too, IMO better than Jaddu if needed.

51 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Siraj does look a bit spent.

These 5 match series are brutal for pacers, especially when they are either new or aged. There is barely anytime between tests. One day lost in travel and 2 effective days in the middle. 

Anderson was not looking to great towards the end of the Indian innings either. He will still play given that this is the final test and he probably has 2-3 months before the ashes.

Agree.

Siraj wont play, I think he has hit the wall for this series.

2 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Rohit

Rahul

Kohli

Sky

Vihari

Pant (wk) 

Shardul

Ashwin

Umesh

Prasidh

Shami

Unless Bumrah is exhausted. He is playing.

SKY and Vihari both wont play.

Hell I think Rahane will play, Kohli will give him a farewell Test. Its undeserved. Team India MUST ALWAYS come first. Not a player. Especially a player of Rahane's standing.

17 minutes ago, Lord said:

Rohit

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Vihari

Pant

Thakur

Ashwin

Umesh

Bumrah

Shami/Prasidh (Shami if fit)

But realistically we'll play the same team,only change will be Siraj out for Shami/Prasidh

Unfortunately youre right.

I mean if we are being totally honest, many of us wouldnt have Kohli in the team.

Rahane will play. Kohli mantra is  Individuals first that he likes, then Team India.

Team India must and always be a priority over anything else.

Farewells can be given for meaningless T20/ODI bilateral series.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Rahane must be " niggled out ". His replacement should be someone who can play strokes like Shardul is doing. Surviving defensively under clouds won't be easy. 

If they idiotically play Rahane again then the chances of Eng levelling the series increase.

Simply cannot carry a passenger across 5 games - foolish to always rely on the lower order batters to bail out a failing middle order. The damn will crack soon.

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

If they idiotically play Rahane again then the chances of Eng levelling the series increase.

Simply cannot carry a passenger across 5 games - foolish to always rely on the lower order batters to bail out a failing middle order. The damn will crack soon.

Its selfish of Kohli to place a friend over Team India.

If anything it should be grounds for being sacked. Absolutely no way should Rahane play the 5th Test.

But he will.