'I've achieved all I wanted' - Ravi Shastri

ShoonyaSifar

We trash bewda all the time but its time we acknowledge his coaching capabilities as well. I have always seen him as a motivator of younguns with this pep talk. It may sound corny and funny to the young guys but he makes you feel part of the team with his shenanigans. He knew his role was to give motivation to young guys and also not disturb the fragile ego of rat which is why him and important person gave credit to rat after BG trophy victory. He surrounded himself with Bharat Arun who looks like the guy who buys vadapav and other side dishes to Shastri's whiskey but turns out to be a great find for our bowlers. Say hello to the rascala of Indian cricket.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

I don’t think he can challenge Kohli, Dhoni and Rohit. 

I think if he wanted to, he could.  But he chose not to.  Don't forget Shastri's clips in the hidden camera stuff - he was not just a guy always ready to curry favor.  When he felt like it, he had it in him to swim against the tide.  

A lot of that is good, some of that was unashamed opportunism.   

You want the coach to be supportive of the captain, and be on the same operating page.  But you would ideally want the coach to be able to save the captain from making egregious errors as well.  Shastri made it clear and publicly so, that he was not going to be in the business of conflict with the captain, and at the very minimum, never publicly.  

As a people we tend to eulogise personalities after their demise/retirement/end of their stint. Many a times losing track of all sense of objectivity.

So many of you are eager to heap credit onto Ravi Sashtri for the win in Aus? What exactly is his contribution? What decisions of his helped the team?

IMHO he is a colossal failure. A coach who inherited a strong (ODI) team and lots of resources. We have been very ordinary post the group stages in multi nation tournaments. Our fielding has been a huge let down in the last few years. Our batting is at its weakest since a long time.

Left us in tatters 2 years before the ODI WC at home.

The only good part about him being the coach is that he can't comment on the IPL games.

3 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

As a people we tend to eulogise personalities after their demise/retirement/end of their stint. Many a times losing track of all sense of objectivity.

So many of you are eager to heap credit onto Ravi Sashtri for the win in Aus? What exactly is his contribution? What decisions of his helped the team?

IMHO he is a colossal failure. A coach who inherited a strong (ODI) team and lots of resources. We have been very ordinary post the group stages in multi nation tournaments. Our fielding has been a huge let down in the last few years. Our batting is at its weakest since a long time.

The only good part about him being the coach is that he can't comment on the IPL games.

I kind of agree with this assessment too,

however I guess the point is Shastri might not be a total puppet drunkard who has nothing but cliches to offer to the team which is the general perception.

He is not the right man for this job but he isn’t the biggest culprit for the failures nor is he without any redeeming qualities. That’s the vibe I am getting from a lot of posts. I guess that is fair.

1 hour ago, Texan said:

I didn't know when BCCI selected him that their requirement did not include winning even one ICC trophy? How can we say he "overachieved"?

Or, maybe he is referring to his bank balance when he says he overachieved... :hmmm:

Highest paid "coach" in world cricket yet not even come close to a tournament trophy. 

BCCI as a cricket board with all that money and resource to pick actual coaches who have achieved things decided that Shastri was the answer and seemingly gave him a contract that never ends. 

Empty beer bottles > Trophies won

6 hours ago, Mariyam said:

What is your inside account and source please was it all malnourished Rahane that inspired the team that self selected themselves to the win? 

May be hawala 2 crore salary for sashtri huh must be no? 

6 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

It's hard to evaluate a head coach. Somehow I feel this year's Australian series win and England series may have swayed opinion to a more positive one on Shastri. 

Best way to judge someone is when backs are against the wall. In aus everything was against us, nothing was in our favour. If some comes out at top from that situation well that enough to show. Even in england this team has come back from bad situations. 

8 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

The difference a year makes, pre Australia everyone only saw him as a glorified drunken mascot. The discussions on how he asked the bowling coach to make plans for Smith and Labuschagne were quite telling and revealed that he was much more than some cheerleading buffoon. I'd put him on a par with Kirsten which is still an excellent achievement.

Kirsten actually didnt face that many challenges. May be wc n sa tour. 

12 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Kirsten actually didnt face that many challenges. May be wc n sa tour. 

He coincided with Yuvi turning into a genuin alrounder and Zak becoming a under 30 fast bowler for a brief period. 

Ofcourse the ATG batting lineup and Kumble/ dartbhajan. 

Edited by Vilander
6 hours ago, The Realist said:

Highest paid "coach" in world cricket yet not even come close to a tournament trophy. 

BCCI as a cricket board with all that money and resource to pick actual coaches who have achieved things decided that Shastri was the answer and seemingly gave him a contract that never ends. 

Empty beer bottles > Trophies won

He did come close with WTC final. After all, he was only part of 2 ICC trophies. It's not like ICC trophies are being played every year.

For any Indian team, winning back to back series in Australia and then in England same year is as good as it gets. It's bigger than any ICC trophy. There is a reason we had won ICC trophies before but nothing in Australia. Just one series in England in 30 plus years. Those are much bigger challenges than ICC trophies. Had he won one, he could have been the best coach ever in cricket history. 

Edited by rkt.india
19 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Can't argue with that, fair point

If you think that the coach had nothing to do with how the 2nd string players were able to perform in that series, under pressure, away from home, then I'm not sure anything I will say is likely to change your mind.  Let me just put it this way - coaches can help, or hinder a player's ability and probability to deliver results on the field.  As an example, Australia had a disastrous India tour a couple of years ago - they always do - but under Coach Arthur, they had a serious mess on their hands with 'homework-gate'.  Shastri kept the team unified, and had them maintain a space that allowed their skills to take center-stage.  That's not something you can just take for granted.  

I completely get where you are coming from.  I know what the ODI WC means to you, and I'm no different. And yes, Shastri does have to shoulder a share of the blame and responsibility for the debacle - no doubt.  However, let's not "lose track of all sense of objectivity".  The primary driving force behind the self-inflicted selection mess - is Virat Kohli.  I have been calling it out since 2018.  Since Virat got captaincy post-Dhoni -Not a single young batsman has been allowed to emerge in ODI cricket.  Not one.  You can't just put this on Shastri - if you are being objective.  There were multiple selectors who allowed Virat to get away with it, along with Shastri. 

Shastri played the hand he was dealt - and made it clear that he was a captain's coach.  You may not agree with that carte blanche - I don't either.  But if you are capable of looking past your disappointment - objectively - then you should be able to see that Shastri wasn't the problem - he was mostly guilty of failing to be the solution.