Kohli steps down as Test captain

No more unnecessary screaming, OTT celebrations after each wicket, yelling at pavillion and dug outs. 

If I was BCCI, I would think out of the Box and Make Jasprit Bumrah the Captain. He's a first choice in all formats, also have a decent attitude. 

Making KL Rahul captain will be disastrous, guy is meek and give Lallu kind of vibes.

Giving it to Rahul is a mistake imo but it means they envisage him in that role for a while yet since he is not as old as the trimurti, Hitman and Ashwin. I would have preferred someone senior so that it could be handed over to someone else after that period, maybe even Rahul who I don't think is ready to lead us in tests atm. 

It could be that Kohli is putting BCCI in a spot with this announcement  though that is only my guess. 

1 minute ago, rollingstoned said:

Giving it to Rahul is a mistake imo but it means they envisage him in that role for a while yet since he is not as old as the trimurti, Hitman and Ashwin. I would have preferred someone senior so that it could be handed over to someone else after that period, maybe even Rahul who I don't think is ready to lead us in tests atm. 

It could be that Kohli is putting BCCI in a spot with this announcement  though that is only my guess. 

perhaps he is trying to see whether they will convince him to change his mind.

As the great Kenny Rogers said in the movie Gambler

Know when to hold em.

Know when to fold em.

Know when to walk away.

Virat's career was folding as a batsman and he has decided to walk away from captaincy.

Maybe it will resurrect him as a batsman. I think he has a couple of more years in him.

We need a batsman there more than Kohli as a captain and Gill looks like the only long term test quality batsman in the reserves. We will see about Vihari and Iyer. Vihari similar to Pujara btw in terms of scoring runs.

Kohli as a test captain didn't touch the nadir. Just before he does he called it quits.  I think he has timed his exit as captain reasonably well.  I am sure more than 50% would want him to continue. If is a start of a decline for India in about a year only 25% would want him to continue. Given that many senior  players will retire soon he will be under pressure to handle the transition.  I don't know the exact reason behind this. Whatever it is timing is perfect from Kohli's perspective.

2 hours ago, javier26 said:

Don't like this decision . Kohli was a very passionate Test Captain, always hungry for a Win, competitive , in the face of opponents  and his energy motivated the other players of the team.

Yelling MC/BC, ugly send offs, screaming at the batsman, spitting at the wicket IS NOT passionate about winning. Others have been passionate without all the cringy exhibition. 

It was fine when he left Captaincy in 1 or 2 formats but what's the problem if he was only Captaining in Test Cricket. It seems

He could have pulled another year, but with failed batting form he ran the risk of being dropped from the team like Purane now. He is at least guaranteed a place in the 11 in the next test, unlike Purane

BCCI did go out of their way to punish him and show who is the Boss. Now expect the Test Team to fall to the same lows of the past. India will miss Virat the Test Captain more than Virat the Batsman

It looks like even BCCI and Ganguly have been taken by surprise, they never had any intention of dropping his test captaincy. This is solely on the kid who didn’t like that he was not made the class monitor, refused to write final exam. 

Won't be surprised if he even retires from Cricket around 2023.

Yes, if he keeps failing like he did in the last 3 years

19 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Kohli as a test captain didn't touch the nadir. Just before he does he called it quits.  I think he has timed his exit as captain reasonably well.  I am sure more than 50% would want him to continue. If is a start of a decline for India in about a year only 25% would want him to continue. Given that many senior  players will retire soon he will be under pressure to handle the transition.  I don't know the exact reason behind this. Whatever it is timing is perfect from Kohli's perspective.

no it isnt. He'd have wanted to resign after a home series which most probably would be a win.

Clearly hes been sacked.

1 hour ago, Sean Bradley said:

No more unnecessary screaming, OTT celebrations after each wicket, yelling at pavillion and dug outs. 

If I was BCCI, I would think out of the Box and Make Jasprit Bumrah the Captain. He's a first choice in all formats, also have a decent attitude. 

Making KL Rahul captain will be disastrous, guy is meek and give Lallu kind of vibes.

You cant have the cake and eat it. Except for Kohli n Pant all has lalloo vibes. BCCI tried it. To have the cake ie make Rohit captain and win icc trophies, keep criticism down and also have Kohli as an aggressive test captain n win series. Something had to give..

14 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

Boria seems to think that he is the no. 1 authority on every single internal thought, every single closed-door conversation, etc. that has taken place. even if the decision to step down was Kohli's own, I don't think this is all there is to the story