This team has the best chance of winning the T20WC22!

zen

Time for the Zen Master to pick a team with the best chance of winning the WC, however, with a caveat - usually, I pick a team after watching it play a few games in the tournament. Since most of the games are to be played at 3-4 AM EST, it makes it difficult to focus and follow the teams as much as I would have liked. Maybe just sit back and enjoy the cricket even if half asleep. Therefore, venturing into a pre tournament pick this time. 

Hitherto, I see it mainly as a 2 horse race. However, there are a few dark horses as well (they always are). It terms of %, I would give 80% to these two teams and reserve the 20% for the dark horses. 

Next question, which are these two teams with the 80% chance of winning and between these two teams, which is slightly ahead? In alphabetical order: 

Australia 

Pros 

• Home advantage - playing conditions
  • A well balanced team w/ good bowlers and hitters

Cons

• Home disadvantage - additional pressure to win at home 

England 

Pros

• Masters of playing a free flowing attacking cricket 
  • A bowling attack that works well as a group i.e. the sum of its parts 
  • Relatively less expectations = relatively less pressure 

Cons

• Some of its key players are unavailable 

In short, England slightly edges out Australia. Below are the chances:

England 42%

Australia 38%

Others (including dark horses) 20% 

Talking more about England

Key batsmen: Buttler, Malan, Livingston, & Moeen 

Wild cards:

• Hales. An opportunity for him to make an impact. If he gets out, England has a long batting line up. If he plays a blinder, he could bat the other team out of the game. 
  • Stokes. An opportunity to play to his potential. If he does that, England can become unstoppable in knockouts. 

Bowlers: Bowlers can be effective as a group looking at the variety. 

• Woods, Woakes, & a few left arm options 
  • Moeen & Rashid for the spin - off and leg 

If there are any changes after I watch the teams play, will update in a timely manner ... All the best to all the teams! Hoping for an interesting world cup!! 

And thus spake the Zen Master! 

2 minutes ago, cricketfan28 said:

England most likely.  I am fine with anybody winning except for NZ.

NZ will be one of the "strong" dark horses. If it beats Aus in the opener, it could gain confidence. 

NZ has made it to all the knockouts in Aus-NZ - 1985, 1992, & 2015 

We need a grand re-entry of @Global.Baba (not forgetting the dot) to counter. The art of getting predictions right is to add percentages and dark horses. Jab prediction galat nikla to bolo - told you it was a dark horse. We can  call all top8 teams dark horses as they can beat any other team on their day in this lottery cricket. 

Edited by coffee_rules
17 minutes ago, sage said:

The Australian team is overrated I don't see them winning

Usually, it is difficult to win back to back world cups/major tournaments ... Talking about regions, only WI has won twice in one country/region (ODIs in Eng & T20s in the Subcon) 

If you count 1985, teams that have won in Aus -> Ind (1985), Pak (1992), & Aus (2015), therefore, more opportunities for a first time winner (ENG, NZ, SA, ...) in Aus. 

However, Aus has a champion mindset so can't discount it to beat the odds!

Edited by zen

I have a good feeling that this world cup is Sri Lanka's to lose.

People are under estimating the power of Spin in Australia. Sure we have Ashwin and Axar but they do not match Hasaranga and co. or even Afghanistan's spin setup.

Having Bishnoi and Kuldeep Yadav for example - that's your X factor spin of wicket taking bowlers.

With large grounds and the fact that the weakness of SENA players being SPIN. I would not be surprised with Sri Lanka being the new west indies in this format.

All depends on how the tracks turn out to be. If they are anything similar to what we have seen in BBL, it will be very much Sri Lanka's favor

4 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

People are under estimating the power of Spin in Australia. Sure we have Ashwin and Axar but they do not match Hasaranga and co. or even Afghanistan's spin setup.

Having Bishnoi and Kuldeep Yadav for example - that's your X factor spin of wicket taking bowlers.

With large grounds and the fact that the weakness of SENA players being SPIN. I would not be surprised with Sri Lanka being the new west indies in this format.

All depends on how the tracks turn out to be. If they are anything similar to what we have seen in BBL, it will be very much Sri Lanka's favor

Hasarnaga ER in Australia is 10. Zampa is the one guy who knows how to bowl here

16 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

lost to Namibia :giggle: