Was Kohli's approach after 30th over justified in semi-final?

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

A set and in form Kohli is capable of batting faster on a flat deck without taking too much extra risk. 

Plus we were just 1 down and had everyone available except Rohit ... not just SKY to follow. 

He has already assumed that if Kohli didn't bat through others wouldn't have been able to hold the fort.

Gill, KL, Iyer, Jadeja - all are in form batsmen.

22 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

This might be true but do you trust SKY and the bowlers to take us to 400 if Kohli gets out before 35th over?.

If we can't trust SKY then what's the point of him in the XI ?...he should be dropped for Ishan Kishan then.

SKY was selected in team for that purpose only, to accelerate and convert 375 to 400+. Not to mention Wankhede is home ground of SKY so that's familiarity is always an advantage.

We still had SKY, KL & Jadeja to come..even Gill was there as well.

Edited by singhvivek141
48 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

You can't continue to anchor for fifty overs. So better hit out or get out if you can't do that. Kohli throughout this WC has batted selfishly with a single aim of completing his hundred.

Exactly! Kohli had fulfilled the anchoring need and it was time to switch gears. He could have started accelerating when a dozen overs were left. Centuries can be reached in a flurry of boundaries too, tuk tuking 15-16 singles is not the way. After hundred manufacturing by farming the strike in the league games, now he has cost the team an extra 15-20 runs with milestone batting. Better to get out for a blistering 90 than crawl to a selfish hundred! 

This is an ODI not T20.. anchoring at a run a ball is still completely okay in an ODI, especially if your partner is striking big like Iyer. Also this batting like up doesn't bat deep so need ample wickets in hand for the last 10 overs. Imagine if Kohli got out and Iyer also perished in quick succession. Considering we don't bat deep, we might have been bundled for less than 320.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Exactly !

Kohli played for his 50th century after the 30th over.  And did this in earlier matches too.

He is capable of batting much faster than he did, on such a flat pitch. 

I love to sometimes get into Kohli, but I think it was important someone anchored the innings. I dont disagree about your assessment about him going for his 100, he has always done that, regardless of the state of the game. The only time he demonstrates urgency, is when there is few balls remaining for him to score 100.

While the pitch did in the end turn out brilliant for batting, what was a par score is still a subjective assessment.

India firstly needed to get to a score that they could compete and defend. In a final, the approach to batting does change.

one needs to take calculated risks in the 30-40 over phase against at least weaker bowlers as only 4 fielders are outside the ring. 

VK has the ability to hit boundaries . Yesterday's innings had far more dots even after 30 overs which could have been avoided and much less 2s.  

At least by 36 over stage with 1 down , it was a perfect stage to attack a bit more esp. against rachin , Southee, Philips .

17 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

I love to sometimes get into Kohli, but I think it was important someone anchored the innings. I dont disagree about your assessment about him going for his 100, he has always done that, regardless of the state of the game. The only time he demonstrates urgency, is when there is few balls remaining for him to score 100.

While the pitch did in the end turn out brilliant for batting, what was a par score is still a subjective assessment.

India firstly needed to get to a score that they could compete and defend. In a final, the approach to batting does change.

It's true that par score, batting first, is a subjective assessment. 

What irked me however was that 9 wickets were left on a flat deck and he was too cautious. After the 35th over, Kohli could have taken a bit more risk. 

From 36 to 41 overs, India scored 2,5,5,10,5 in these 5 overs. With only one wicket down,India scored 5+ in in only one over and obviously we know the reason. Nothing against Kohli and his anchor role and I wish he continue to do the role but with even the anchor role he can score more if he wants to. Indian total was brought down for -20 because of this approach. If not for KLR's late overs onslaught,we would have ended up around 370...

39 minutes ago, Bigg Brother said:

From 36 to 41 overs, India scored 2,5,5,10,5 in these 5 overs. With only one wicket down,India scored 5+ in in only one over and obviously we know the reason. Nothing against Kohli and his anchor role and I wish he continue to do the role but with even the anchor role he can score more if he wants to. Indian total was brought down for -20 because of this approach. If not for KLR's late overs onslaught,we would have ended up around 370...

I dont know what folks are arguing about. Its not like we were losing wickets and we needed an anchor to hold the innings. 1 down and slowing down at the fag end to secure what exactly ? Also knowing Gill can come back. Its dark truth and we cant speak about it.

Kohli was fine,and only complaint which one could have is if he bats with one of the top 4 batsman after 40th over starts accelerating

Even if gets out we will have someone from top 4 to guide the innings

Otherwise it was a good knock and monkey off the back of KOs,

Good to see Kohli too played his part

5 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

We got 397 (almost 400). That wasn't enough? It was a good win, let it be. Also, he plays the Anchor role these days anyways 

That’s the point . It could have been 360 if not for rahul and Ayer . 

Kohli played highly selfishly and if Shami was not in red hot form , mitchell would have done a fakar on india . 

just praying we have to chase in finals . Kohli bats better and scored at right pace while chasing . 

5 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

I am not questioning his 71 ball 65 runs before 30th over. I think it was ok.

I am talking about the phase when India were 214-1 in 30 overs. Scoring at 7.1 RPO.

Last 20 overs, 9 wickets in hand. What does Kohli do? He scored next 33 runs in 34 balls till over no 42.

Now I am not expecting him to score 60 runs in 34 balls. But thing is that he played anchor role where he was scoring below teams current RR. Forget about acceleration, how about scoring at same rate? 45 in 34 balls maybe?

From 214 in 30 overs, India reached 292 in 41 overs. 78 runs in 11 overs!

No acceleration by the team.

He was batting as if team is 4 down and needed to bat through 50 overs.

Mitchell scored his last 35 runs in 35 balls when RRR was over 12.

As some expert I don’t  remember which show it was , he pointed out there are some  limitations for Mitchell, he can be contained if he is bowled in certain areas.His strengths match Indian bowlers strengths too.Once they started bowling to his weaknesses he was contained even after reaching 100.

The Indian batting ends at number 6 incase people have forgotten.

Plus the fatigue  which people sitting at home cannot fathom is also big factor for batsmen unable accelerate.

Kohli does not have the acceleration like he used  in  early part of his career.

These all are factors.

He should be called out and rightly so ,just because we won the match doesn't mean he can get off Scott free .

He is clearly playing the anchors role in the side but that doesn't mean he selfishly slows down when nearing his 100 .

This doesn't bode well for such a great player .

Hopefully he bats without any binding in the finals 

As long as he is turning the strike over and scoring run a ball , he is doing fine. 

Others are batting around him  with freedom knowing fully well he will be there at one end , they also know his limitations.

Did he chase 100s while chasing small totals earlier in tournament, yes he did chase and there was nothing wrong in it either.