Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni: Who is the greatest Indian ODI Batsman?

Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni:Who is the greatest India LOI Batsman?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni:Who is the greatest India LOI Batsman?

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

LOLwut. If anything Viv has BETTER stats than both of them. Viv averaged 47 at a SR of 90 when the rest of the batsmen struggled to strike at 70. Sachin and Kohli are no where near as dominant in their eras.

Not a single 50+ score in a WC knockout game and 1(13) while chasing in a WC Semi says otherwise.

I meant total stats, other than average his other stats are very minimal. no of 100s and total no of runs.I never said Sachin or Kohli are as dominant as Viv was in his era. Viv is the best ever player in Odis.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

This thread is so heartwarming....I was thinking that cricket is dying among the youth in India these days with the popularity for Soccer etc......but looking at so many votes for Kohli,good to see younger kids still following the game with passion.

how could you miss one simple thing here ? :hmmm:

there is only one human being who scored two double tons and no one pointed out this here :sad:

I enjoy Kohli. He is the best now. Players who have given me those goosebumps before are SRT and Kapil. Viv Richard was the best to watch. I started watching in 1983 - from the worldcup. 

Today when Kohli got out, no one would have closed their TV sets and given up the game. That was the norm in 90s with SRT. 

Kohli has greater self-belief and better fighting spirit. SRT was the more complete batsman. He simply did not have any weakness (except in his sunset years). 

You cannot compare Bradman with SRt with Kohli simply because there is so much difference in each era. If i had to choose one, I will stick with the God. 

For sheer performance and ability to dominate and win games on his own, cruise control mode, Virat is the greatest ODI batsmen the world has seen, he has been averaging around 100 last one or two years, he is more assured at the crease then Sachin and he might go on to become world's greatest batsmen in all format.

10 hours ago, kira said:

lol zaheer abbas with his tiny sample set of 60 odd matches, are you fking serious? who were  the bowlers faced by viv and zaheer and please compare them to bowlers faced by sachin, kohli's average doesn't mean shit, late 90s tendulkar would have averaged in the 60s today, are you seriously comparing stats from different eras? lmao

I was thinking the same - Sachin would average 60+ in this era of roads and tiny boundaries. He was not just talented, he was very shrewd too. He would have exploited all the modern day loop holes to plunder runs at will. That being said, if I had to pick a batsman to bat for my life, I would pick Kohli. Sachin patented the template of scoring centuries consistently and Kohli has patented the template for successful chases. 

Quality of bowling and pitches is a massive issue here.

Tendulkar faced some of the greatest bowlers in the world ever. Im not sure Kohli has faced many bowlers that can be classed as the greatest ever.

Thats the massive difference. Another variable is that the quality of the pitches is another factor, pitches for ODIs today are like concrete slabs. Another variable is the development of T20 which has greatly improved the batsmen's ability to improvise their shot selections.

Almost impossible and unfair to compare different era's.

I look back at the Sachin era with some romanticism.The game had characters.Some bowlers like Wasim,Ambrose,Donald,Waqar had this charisma and larger than life personality.That probably made Sachin batting against them seem like magic.There was an awe about the entire game,not just Sachins batting.

Kohli seems to have demystified the art of batting.He seems effortless and imperious.You no longer get scared about what will happen when he gets out.He just doesnt let you feel that way.Yet something is missing.Not sure what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

I look back at the Sachin era with some romanticism.The game had characters.Some bowlers like Wasim,Ambrose,Donald,Waqar had this charisma and larger than life personality.That probably made Sachin batting against them seem like magic.There was an awe about the entire game,not just Sachins batting.

Kohli seems to have demystified the art of batting.He seems effortless and imperious.You no longer get scared about what will happen when he gets out.He just doesnt let you feel that way.Yet something is missing.Not sure what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Concur on the part about Virat .He somehow gives the feel he will "win the game" if he is in the middle and one more thing nervous gets any kind of jitters near milestones.

On the topic, its a great tribute to MS Dhoni to be named alongside these two players.He is not half as good as compared to them in terms of talent or ability,but he is justifiably among India's top 3.Great example of optimising your talent.