Munaf Patel, 2011 World Cup winner, announces retirement from all formats of the game

Switchblade

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/munaf-patel-2011-world-cup-winner-announces-retirement-from-all-formats-of-the-game/story-0Jc40DFpqOIDFPIFx8iZjP.html

India pacer Munaf Patel has called time on his cricket career, retiring from all forms of the game.

Munaf, who last played for India in 2011 in a Test match against West Indies said there was “no motivation” left for him and was unable to keep himself fit. “There is no special reason, age ho chuka hai, fitness is not the same. Youngsters are there waiting for chances and it doesn’t look nice if I keep hanging on. The main thing is there is no motivation left. I was part of World Cup winning team in 2011; there can’t be a greater high than that,” the 35-year-old told The Indian Express.

Munaf says that decision to retire from come cricket did not come easy for him and that cricket is all he has understood all his life, “Mera mann aaj bhi nahi maan raha hai ke cricket chhodoon as I don’t know anything else. Cricket hi samaj mein aata hain.” (I still can’t believe I am quitting cricket as I don’t know anything else. I understand only cricket,” he added.

Munaf played 13 Tests, 70 ODIs and 3 T20Is for India and was part of the squad that went on to lift the 2011 World Cup held in the Indian subcontinent.

Domestically, Munaf played for Mumbai, Maharashtra and Baroda. In Indian Premier League too he plied his trade for three teams in Rajasthan Royals, Mumbai Indians and Gujarat Lions.

Following his retirement Munaf wants to pursue career in coaching.

Where was he in the last 3-4 years ? 

44 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

First PK

Now Munaf

All Indian speedsters retiring one by one :((

Don't worry, Sir Vinay Kumar, Sri Sri Unadkat and others shall continue to unleash the 122 kmph thunderbolts. There was a new kid on the block in Vidharba as well, the future looks bright :flame:

Edited by Clarke
5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Every time I think of Munaf bowling in 2006,  I think " what could have been " and what happened.

Not many pacers have equally impressive , quick and dangerous fuller deliveries and short balls in their debut year.  But Munaf had them both.

A wasted big talent  !

His debut against England was impressive and even in the test matches against Westindies he was superb after that went downhill became a trundler who bowled around 120-130 kmph.

For a guy who grew up in a village and was working in a tile factory for Rs 35 a day to make it to the highest level of the game is an awesome achievement. It’s also great that Indian cricket had evolved to the point where it was able to find talented players like Munaf and work to get him to achieve at this level. Munaf helped to win us a World Cup. He can be very proud of achieving something very few have done, or will be able to do. 

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

Every time I think of Munaf bowling in 2006,  I think " what could have been " and what happened.

Not many pacers have equally impressive , quick and dangerous fuller deliveries and short balls in their debut year.  But Munaf had them both.

A wasted big talent  !

Fastest decline in pace...first test 136 to 144K 

second test 130 to 135K

Later his career in ODI 118 to 131k.....

A talented bowler who wasted his talent.

One of his best spells was getting Gayle out in Windies and troubling him over there under Dravid. He was brilliant even when was raw. He did play his part in 2011 wc but he could have achieved more. 

Congrats to him, he will be satisfied but I wish he had not lost the steam and been more aggressive as a bowler back when he was bowling fast.

Congrats

I ll somehow remember him for this match. 2nd Odi Jan 2011.. Mother of all South African chokes save that wc semi final I guess. Munaf taking 4/29 unbelievable. How could they lose this!!!!!!

48 runs 6 wickets in hand 108 balls playing at home .LOL. 

http://www.cricketcrowd.com/displayvideo.html?ccvideo=4206&ccdesc=India%2Bsnatch%2Bstunning%2B1%2Brun%2Bwin%2Bas%2BSA%2Bchoke%3A%2B2nd%2BODI%2B(Jborg)

PS* Believe it or not I think this is the series which gave immense confidence to India before the 2011 w cup. Though they lost 3-2 ( could have gone either way.. yusuf pathan played one of the best odi innings :105 in 70 balls at Centurion with 8 fours and 8 mammoth sixes)in losing cause. India were 119/8 when he started the assault with Zak giving him the company.  I think if you get to see the highlights of that innings it was better than Tendulkars 175 against Aus which we lost. One of the most underrated innings of Indian Odi cricket history.. the spanking he gave to Steyn was mindblowing...

Oh and BTW people often forget Rohits opening stint began in this series. I think he opened in 2 matches but flopped

Edited by neel roy
14 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

If we accept what warnie said about Munnie's age then his pace decline is not surprising at all. He must have been 29 in 2006 and 34 by the time of 2011 world cup. Not sure if he's a wasted talent then. 

In addition to the fact that his real age was more than the official age,Munaf also had injury issues. He had to figure out a way to keep his career going. I think he did just fine. There are many people who have had much more to work with and haven’t achieved a fraction of what Munaf has.