Publications to ignore

diga

Just now, sandeep said:

If you don't value differing perspectives and opinions you will end up becoming a parody of yourself. 

Since when has journalism become about perspectives and opinions? 

Rhetoric question don't answer that.

Obviously media these days picks sides. So the argument  that a media house has a “differing opinion” doesn’t count.

The most disappointing one is newslaundry. They used to be center or left of center. Now, Abhinandan Sekhri has turned it a mockery of journalism, calling all RW names, he is a pest like Kalra etc. I unfollowed him and NL . Even Madhu Trehan who started it, turned out to be another Lutyens Khan Market gang type.

I read thePrint if they are opinions near center, but peddling an Anti-Modi narrative no matter what , is a mood-spoiler. Guardian, WaPo and NYT are left commie rags nowadays. Avoid reading opinions about India in these sites including BBC. 

The collateral damage some of them do is more than any alternative perspective they bring...Some of them in their quest for web revenue deliberately print controversial articles without any verification.

betterthey die a natural death.

Edited by diga

47 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

The most disappointing one is newslaundry. They used to be center or left of center. Now, Abhinandan Sekhri has turned it a mockery of journalism, calling all RW names, he is a pest like Kalra etc. I unfollowed him and NL . Even Madhu Trehan who started it, turned out to be another Lutyens Khan Market gang type.

I read thePrint if they are opinions near center, but peddling an Anti-Modi narrative no matter what , is a mood-spoiler. Guardian, WaPo and NYT are left commie rags nowadays. Avoid reading opinions about India in these sites including BBC. 

NaxalLaundry has gone to the gutter level with chewts like AAPkash Banerjee running amok. 

I had been to a talk by Koeanraad Elst and when asked why do the Guardian/Economist/Time/WaPo write such damaging opinions on India/Modi/RW, and he said that the western LeLis in these publications  don't care about India/Modi, in general or don't have much time as they are fighting their priority list (EU/Brexit, MultiKulchaism, Islamophobia, Refugee crisis etc.) and they rely on the feed from the Indian LeLi sepoys for  material as they are friends in this circle. You can imagine what our deshbhakts will tell them to write. Do don't blame the foreigner, but your journalists and liberal for such opinions in world view.

32 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

That's a pretty exhaustive list by @Gollum . I'd also add:

TheNewsMinute (run by Lemurian wankers).

TheNewsMinute was founded by Chitra Subramamaniam but maybe she lost control over proceedings, or questionable source of funding. 

Agree with you about The Guardian. I had double thoughts over including it in my list but of late their shenanigans in India related topics have pushed me over the edge. Their sports coverage is indeed fantastic, also probably the only major outlet that has a weekly column on chess..by 90 year old Leonard Barden in what must be the longest running chess column in the world (including Russian ones). They probably cover every sport on the planet and rather well. Unless you are a fanatic and/or very well versed in a sport you can't fault their coverage...for a general crowd no complaints whatsoever.  

Even 'The Hindu' covers sports very well, a lot of similarities with Guardian. Even my ideology can't prevent me from appreciating these 2 dailies, they have class, concrete analysis, wonderful prose, less sensationalism, witty cartoons, thought provoking essays, except their LW tilt they are practically faultless in other areas. Any day TH over TOI, if I want to start a daily I would look to emulate TH except the political leaning of course. 

Edited by Gollum

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

TheNewsMinute was founded by Chitra Subramamaniam but maybe she lost control over proceedings, or questionable source of funding. 

Agree with you about Guardian. I had double thoughts over including it in my list but of late their shenanigans in India related topics have pushed me over the edge. Their sports coverage is indeed fantastic, also probably the only major outlet that has a weekly column on chess..by 90 year old Leonard Barden in what must be the longest running chess column in the world (including Russian ones). They probably cover every sport on the planet and rather well. Unless you are a fanatic and/or very well versed in a sport you can't fault their coverage...for a general crowd no complaints whatsoever.  

Even 'The Hindu' covers sports very well, a lot of similarities with Guardian. Even my ideology can't prevent me from appreciating these 2 dailies, they have class, concrete analysis, wonderful prose, less sensationalism, witty cartoons, thought provoking essays, except their LW tilt they are practically faultless in other areas. Any day TH over TOI, if I want to start a daily I would look to emulate TH except the political leaning of course. 

There is a reason why the TOI is called the toilet paper of India. They put fake news, shitty headlines, a lot of mistakes in their publications. They encourage trolling or celebrities. The Hindu is anyway better than TOI, only drawback is their political ideology(even TOI is leaning left after their pulwama headline), otherwise everything else is covered well. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Forgot about her. I thought it was Dhanya Rajendran who was running the show there. On the Guardian, I used to visit that site a lot more frequently back in the day when Fergie was in charge at United :((. Even the comments section used to be entertaining with a lot of articulate voices. These days it's just the odd Rob Smyth article and the cartoons. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Forgot about her. I thought it was Dhanya Rajendran who was running the show there. On the Guardian, I used to visit that site a lot more frequently back in the day when Fergie was in charge at United :((. Even the comments section used to be entertaining with a lot of articulate voices. These days it's just the odd Rob Smyth article and the cartoons. 

Another valid point, comments sections in TG have always been top notch and well moderated, dry British humour and importantly some knowledgeable folks too. Can't say the same about others....most comments sections are best avoided to preserve sanity. 

16 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

There is a reason why the TOI is called the toilet paper of India. They put fake news, shitty headlines, a lot of mistakes in their publications. They encourage trolling or celebrities. The Hindu is anyway better than TOI, only drawback is their political ideology(even TOI is leaning left after their pulwama headline), otherwise everything else is covered well. 

TOI is a giant advertisement pamphlet in the guise of newspaper. And wtf do they report? Page 4 about all the individual incidents of rapes in Delhi, page 7 about murders in Mumbai, no consistency, no sense, no meaning. Clickbait headlines, trashy grammar and sentence construction, focus on non issues....and their op-eds are so childish that a high school kid will do a better job. Are they serious? A real disgrace that this garbage rag is India's best selling English daily...all countries are known by their #1 dailies and we have a joke representing us. Thankfully never had the misfortune of dwelling too much time on it, Telegraph in my young days and TH now (courtesy South India)....but my dad always used to buy TOI cos he felt they had the best astrology section :facepalm:

Edited by Gollum

There is a saying : Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.

There is another saying: Know thy enemy.

Publications which we do not agree with or view as the mouthpiece of traitors and enemies should not be ignored or willed away, not unless you don't trust yourself and admit you are weak-willed and will be 'corrupted' by exposure. They should be read and kept in mind as to how the enemy thinks.