What happened to Shreyas Iyer?

Gollum

I admit I didn't follow the matches he played, neither have I seen him much in IPL. My limited knowledge about him comes from news reports, match links, ICF, highlight videos etc. But he seems like a candidate for our middle order. 5 innings, 210 runs, avg 42, SR 96.33 sure looks good on paper. One of those innings was on a Dharamsala greentop where we were bundled out for 112...we are never getting pitches like that in the WC. Remove that knock and he averages 50+ with SR 100+. And it seems he is a good fielder. His list A (and FC) numbers are pretty good especially the SR, and his domestic form has been good in recent years. 

Why do you think he was sidelined? Did you guys notice any glaring technical weakness that rules out success at the highest level? Was he being selfish, mentally shot or a dick, as in any behavioral problems? Or did he have any documented altercation with Kohli and coach?

Not saying he is a Lara reincarnate but how bad must you be when TM considers Rahane, Rayudu, DK as better alternatives for that #4 spot? And he is a natural top middle order batsman in domestics unlike Rahul, that must be taken into account. Perfect age too, neither an oldie nor a kid, could have been a long term investment.

Edited by Gollum
10 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

He was unnecessarily dropped post the SA tour , another one of those Kohli and TM victims. He should still be part of WC squad.

So there wasn't any glaring weakness, he performed acceptably and they still dropped him, dumb fukcers :facepalm:

Remember how post his debut, Raina was such a joke against the short ball. But skipper Dravid and later Dhoni persisted with him, groomed him and we reaped the results after 2009-10. Donkey Kohli has no sense of long term planning. 

On 3/14/2019 at 12:25 AM, Gollum said:

I admit I didn't follow the matches he played, neither have I seen him much in IPL. His list A (and FC) numbers are pretty good especially the SR, and his domestic form has been good in recent years.

Shreyas Iyer in Vijay Hazare Trophy 2018:

Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
SS Iyer 7 6 2 373 144 93.25 344 108.43 2 2 0 24 22

(Mumbai)

Shreyas Iyer in Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2019:

Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
SS Iyer 10 10 2 484 147 60.50 318 152.20 2 1 0 29 36
(Mumbai)