What Would be your plan of action for Rishabh pant - Drop or Persist

Rest him for the next limited overs series in December!

Time away from the spotlight will do him good, he looks stressed now.

Suggest play the back up keeper in the Dec and Jan limited overs series. If whoever it is fails (Kishan/Samson) then bring back Pant. If they succeed, let them continue till the IPL. Come IPL one can evaluate the multiple options.

Imperative that BCCI gives the Plan-B wicket-keeper, whoever it is maximum exposure before the World Cup. Persisting with Pant is not a bad idea, but Plan-B must be in place in case Pant continues to struggle.

13 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Don’t judge by t20.

I would keep him I Test and 50 overs and in t20 I will rotate him with other youngsters. Note rotate and not drop.

Again, based on t20 format no one should be dropped from other formats. 

he just doesn't  have the game for loi cricket, you have to hit all around  the field in loi cricket, and Pant cant do it,he is still trying to hit a ball 2 feet  outside off on the leg side.

I have always been apprehensive about pant as a batsman.. even after considering his ipl exploits nd two test centuries.. why?? 

Because of late he is turning out to be afridi in disguise.. Rather then working on his technique, stroke play nd timing he instead chooses himself to emulate duck legend afridi.. with his fugly leg sides hoicks... Too much fame has got into his head.. he thinks he is the new macho six hitter in the town.. who can shredd cricket ball at will.. 

If u look at current indian team.. there are three players who have ability to hit sixes against express pace at any ground in the world- Rohit, virat nd hardik.. all these depends on their timing and a strong base to hit sixes against fast bowlers.. six hitting is an art nd no way u can get away with ur ugly tailender like leg side hoicks on evry damm Sunday..

This is the problem with pant.. he is trying to emulate mediocre afridi.. (whose asinine fans continues to worship him even after a pathetic average of 23 in odi) rather then following Rohit or virat..  if he continues to slog blindly like a tailender ending up getting castled by a dibbly dobbly saumya sarkar.. then he should be discarded for good... Even his wicket keeping is not making a good case for himself.. 

Like most here, I also believe he should be given a chance to open. 

Secondly he should never have been dropped from the test side.That was an unwarranted exclusion and it was a case of Virat for the zillionth time erring on the side of experience. Ya I know Saha is a great wk blah blah, but will he be keeping wickets for India in next overseas cycle, don't think so.

Thirdly ODIs is one format I feel Pant should not be given a free run as he doesn't merit a place in that format of the game. He looks confused in ODIs, may be need to ascertain whether he can play in lower middle order.

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

If Kohli plays he will play at no4.Kohli at no3 in T20s is not as important as Kohli at no3 in odis.Then We can have everyone attack from ball one.Kohli will be there to hold the fort.

Kohli at 3 has been our best batsman in last 3 wc 

When he batted at 4 in last 1-2 yrs for raina n rahul he wasnt as effective. Kohli n rohit are two positions i feel shudnt be touched

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Kohli at 3 has been our best batsman in last 3 wc 

When he batted at 4 in last 1-2 yrs for raina n rahul he wasnt as effective. Kohli n rohit are two positions i feel shudnt be touched

Rohit will be 36, Kohli 35 by the 2023 WC (Dhawan will be nearing 38). All of them will be closer to the end of their careers by then. Not sure if we can afford to go to a home WC with such a group of old players. In2007, we had Dada, Sachin, Dravid at 34-35, Kumble was 36 , then in 2019, Dhoni at 38 showed us that supreme fitness alone does not matter, even legends lose ability massively with age.

He needs to get smarter with his shot selection. Gets out behind the wicket at fine leg far too often.

When he is stable, I've seen him handle express pace comfortably. I remember him struggling in that world cup game against England. He was trying too much then but even in that game when he held his composure he seemed to have extra time when he pulled Mark Wood.

Also needs to add some more shots in front of the wicket. Hopefully he practices those as well.

9 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Like most here, I also believe he should be given a chance to open. 

Secondly he should never have been dropped from the test side.That was an unwarranted exclusion and it was a case of Virat for the zillionth time erring on the side of experience. Ya I know Saha is a great wk blah blah, but will he be keeping wickets for India in next overseas cycle, don't think so.

Thirdly ODIs is one format I feel Pant should not be given a free run as he doesn't merit a place in that format of the game. He looks confused in ODIs, may be need to ascertain whether he can play in lower middle order.

Well one cycle is what 4 to 5 years..  Pant is now 23 ? Will he be keeping for India after 2 cycles or motorbikes? No right.  So we should play some high school kid from bandra instead selectors don't have vision mission like us maaan.

Edited by Vilander
24 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Rohit will be 36, Kohli 35 by the 2023 WC (Dhawan will be nearing 38). All of them will be closer to the end of their careers by then. Not sure if we can afford to go to a home WC with such a group of old players. In2007, we had Dada, Sachin, Dravid at 34-35, Kumble was 36 , then in 2019, Dhoni at 38 showed us that supreme fitness alone does not matter, even legends lose ability massively with age.

We lost 2007 to the worst ever Wc. 2011 when Sachin and Zak were almost grandfather's we won a Wc. Just saying some might consider this fact. 

Pant needs to be dropped after this series. He should play domestics and return as a better player. Samson needs to be given a chance. Dhawan needs to be dropped. He scores at snails pace and once he grabs a regulation catch, he thighslaps like he is some macho man who has contributed immensely to the team. Maybe Pant can open for one series in place of Dhawan. But I don't think Kohli or Rohit will drop Dhawan