'Washington Sundar doesn’t even spin the ball,' Harbhajan Singh questions off-spinner's Team India selection

8 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Not really. Ashwin made hay while the sun didn't shine but eventually he's recognized for the one trick donkey he is. Sundar is Ashwin's beta version as of now. If not for Sundar's mythical batting ability, do you see him as a worthy candidate among Kuldip, Chahar (probably a better and more reliable hitter than Sundar), Nadeem, Goutham, Shreyas? I am pretty sure I missed a few names there. There's the U19 leggie whose name I cannot recall.

Sundar is a restrictive bowler at best. He suits the T20 style of play, that's it. Question I raised is about Bhajji..He never raised a single word when Kuldeep was mishandled, not when Chahal was dropped..Just gives his random opinion on random players who should be selected. Who said you need to turn the ball in T20s. He himself creates a requirement and targets specific players.If you listen to his commentary, you can get a peek into his "insights".

Sundar, for all his criticism has done decently at the international level in T20s. When he doesn't he should be dropped, no question - but I would do it based on performance and not on some chucker's word.

22 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Sundar is a club level bowler who might do well at times, in asian conditions.  In SENA, he will get slaughtered.    More or less, Harbhajan is right.  We hv better options, that's is for sure. 

Gowtham

Gopal

Chahar

Have seen enough of 1D Kulcha, time to give these 3 a decent run. Offer more with the bat which is a bonus, think all 3 are good fielders as well. 

10 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Not really. Ashwin made hay while the sun didn't shine but eventually he's recognized for the one trick donkey he is. Sundar is Ashwin's beta version as of now. If not for Sundar's mythical batting ability, do you see him as a worthy candidate among Kuldip, Chahar (probably a better and more reliable hitter than Sundar), Nadeem, Goutham, Shreyas? I am pretty sure I missed a few names there. There's the U19 leggie whose name I cannot recall.

Sundar isn't a bowler. He is a batsman and under-developed at that. No idea why everyone is trying to turn him into a bowler. 

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Sundar isn't a bowler. He is a batsman and under-developed at that. No idea why everyone is trying to turn him into a bowler. 

Wait what ? :confused:

Then why on earth does he bat at no.8 and more importantly why the fuk does he bat like a no.11 ? So many questions...

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Wait what ? :confused:

Then why on earth does he bat at no.8 and more importantly why the fuk does he bat like a no.11 ? So many questions...

Because he has been made to do that. He played u19 WC for India as a top order batsman and he used to be a very solid bat, was an opener but because Pant and Kishan were opening, so batted in middle order then. He was a part-time bowler too like Yashasvi Jaiswal. Then he played IPL and rest is history, has been treated like a bowler since then.

https://www.hotstar.com/in/sports/cricket/tamil-nadu-premier-league-2017/chepauk-super-gillies-vs-albert-tuti-patriots-m183879/match-clips/sundar-slams-tnpl-2017s-maiden-ton/2001600732

Watch this and tell if he bats like a tailender.

Edited by rkt.india
On 3/9/2020 at 4:20 PM, -Robin- said:

For a change bhajji is right.

India needs to stop selecting these 3D players over genuine bowlers or batsmens.

You need to learn how to bat even for tail ender's. 

Modern era requirements are different. So all this kulcha, dulcha etc won't get in unless they can bat too. 

On 3/9/2020 at 2:51 AM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

“There is a spinner named Jalaj Saxena. They just refuse to consider him. He has been bowling superbly for so many seasons. Wakhare is a consistent bowler but no one looks at him. And then you say, spinners are getting lost in Indian cricket. He must have done something good for Vidarbha to have won the Ranji Trophy twice,” Harbhajan told Sportstar. 

“They pick this guy called Washington Sundar, who doesn’t even spin the ball. I just don’t get it. Why don’t you encourage a bowler who bowls genuine spin, who can lure the batsman out and have him stumped. If Washington can bat a bit, so can Jalaj, who is also a proper spinner,” Harbhajan added. 

“You have to develop these bowlers by giving them confidence. I want to know what wrong has Saxena done? Has he, Wakhare or Shahbaz Nadeem [Jharkhand] committed a crime by taking wickets?,” Harbhajan asserted.   

Link https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/washington-sundar-doesn-t-even-spin-the-ball-harbhajan-singh-questions-off-spinners-team-india-selection/562536?fbclid=IwAR2wu7fnp82lnT7vWfOfyuvD0GsvGeytt0sJP-qymevMcTZ7H3lj9nShTIc

• washington can bat a bit:giggle:
  • How did proper spinner NAdeem do vs Axar 

I hope he never becomes a selector

Jalaj Saxena is 34 now, Wakhare is 35. Would be foolish to hand them their debt. Nadeem did get a couple of chances, and has been in the India A mix.

And while Bhajji has every right to support Ranji spinners, why is he slagging young Sundar instead of encouraging him? That comes across as a bitter rant, nothing else.