Pujara rahane time to move on

ungboysj

So these two are 33+ both have been decent players but not greats and apart from few heroics in general hvae let down India in SENA

last few years India has traveled well due to potent bowling but batting has let it down time and again

Now I think age 24-33 these 10 years I think are peak for batsman as a matchwinner

These two have had their shots with 2-3 tours in each Sena country and are decent bats at most

I think time has come for age 25-27 guys like vihari Iyer pandya mayank and others to get extended run

Shaw/ gill one should get extended test run

What you think

Edited by ungboysj

They will move on when someone is banging the door to replace him. Right now Gill looks quality to play test cricket and have settled in opening spot. Shaw and Mayank can also fix their issues and make a come back after a season or two. VIhari is already in the team but not making his case strong with there performances.. might be dropped after this tour unless he really delivers in next 3 innings

Pandya is not going to play at no.3 and no.5, he has to compete with jadeja to get into the team. Right now he is poorer than Jaddu with both bat and ball not to mention his fitness issues.. we don't know if he can bowl 15-20 overs per test match again. If he can, he may play in England/Nz at 7

Edited by Serpico

I’m expecting Rahane to be mediocre in this match. Already dropped a catch to allow Marnus a century. His “contributions’ will be there throughout the match to ensure that this team doesn’t does well in the absence of Captain Kohli...

I won’t discuss about Pujara... no point discussing... #3 batsman has scored 215 runs in 7 innings so far....

Edited by asterix

It's especially looking worrisome for Pujara. The more I see Gill - he seems better suited to MO (#3 or #4) with his side on technique. Highly doubt he will survive the new ball in England. Out of the all potential openers - Rohit has looked the best. He should make that spot his own going forward. Not sure who he can partner with in Eng and SA - our achillies heel. The slectors need to start looking beyond Prithvi (perhaps Yashaswi Jaiswal?).

Rahane has been a passenger and we have been carrying him for very long. His only 100 in SENA after 2014 in the last to last match was full of drops. Other than that no significant innings from him. Also he isn't even a decent player of spin in subcontinent.

Basically living off his 2013-14 SA, Aus, Eng tours.8

Both of them need to be phased out as quickly and wisely as possible. That is where the role of a sensible & competent TM comes into play. With Kohli back in the team and with some promising rookies around , rotating the batsmen in  home/dead rubber/ vs weak teams and filtering out a TOP 6  with Kohli & Jaedja as the main stays  of this TOP  6 will do the trick , I suppose

Pujara and Rahane are needed when we tour Eng. They are still not 35 yet. And we are not brimming with younger batsmen coming through the ranks as before. Gill shows promise but he looks like an aggressive no.3 IMO which will be useful when we tour Aus or SA next. maybe ask pujara to open with mayank in the home leg of Eng series and slot Gill at 3. Seniors need to take the toughest positions. And TM must make sure we don't drop both pujara and rahane at the same time when they hit the wall of 35 as this will leave holes not just in the batting order but also slip catching. We did a mistake when Dravid retired to also drop VVS and this backfired against Eng at home. VVS was still younger than RD. If anyone was needed to be dropped it was you know who whose name should not be mentioned lest the online outrage