How does Pujara compare to Dravid ?

Just now, zen said:

Ind has had some great batsmen over the years but looking at Pujara’s legendary performances at critical junctures in Aus over the two full series (including two amazing 4th innings performances), I would be tempted to put Pujara as #1 test batsman from Ind ever from among the ones that I have followed extensively (from say from 1990) 

I am tempted to give that honor to Rishabh Pant.  

Dravid was my favorite for the impact he used to have on Indian test team. Pujara has done a lot of similar things for Indian on 2 occasions now in Australian tour.

Let us say that Pujara looks up to Dravid, and I am happy to leave it there. I am glad all his life he looked up to Dravid, right since he was making his debut. There isn't any bigger gentlmen in the game than Rahul Dravid. You can match him, you can't better him. Him being coach to these under19 players also is the best thing to have happened to Indan Cricket. 

21 minutes ago, helperononline said:

I donno why people critize him so much for strike rate actually he is having better strike rate than dravid

Pujara strike rate in test -45

Dravid strike rate in test - 42

Dravid was lucky in comparison as he had stroke makers like Viru, SRT, VVS to play alongside him

As far as performance against Australia goes, Pujara has outperformed Dravid by a country mile

Runs, Batting Avg vs Aus (Min 1000 runs)

Sachin - 3630, 55

Laxman - 2434, 50

Viru - 1738, 42

Dravid - 2143, 40

Pujara - 1893, 54

Kohli - 1682, 48

Vijay- 1324, 47

Rahane - 1090, 38

Clearly Dravid was the 4th best Indian batsman of his generation where as Pujara is the best Indian batsman of his generation

47 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Played 928 deliveries this series

And 1258 in the last series (500+ runs & 4 50+ scores incl 3 100s)  ... Besides playing 928 deliveries in this series including in the first inning in the pink ball test and some grinding at Melbourne, almost come back to his best (after a long lay off; no IPL) in the last 2 tests to hit 3 50s (most by an Ind batsman in this series too)  in 4 innings 

Edited by zen

I never truly appreciated Dravid because of Dravid fans always trying to belittle Sachin but in hindsight I have to say Dravid was a great player and way more aesthetically pleasing than Pujara. Pujara is a great player too but he is still not on Dravid's level. Pujara still won us back to back series in Australia so I have nothing but respect for Pujara

46 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Dravid was my favorite for the impact he used to have on Indian test team. Pujara has done a lot of similar things for Indian on 2 occasions now in Australian tour.

Let us say that Pujara looks up to Dravid, and I am happy to leave it there. I am glad all his life he looked up to Dravid, right since he was making his debut. There isn't any bigger gentlmen in the game than Rahul Dravid. You can match him, you can't better him. Him being coach to these under19 players also is the best thing to have happened to Indan Cricket. 

On a related note, I think we should have comparison-free day every week on ICF.  Say, every Monday, we will refrain from comparing Indian players to one another. 

No "Who is better?"  "X" vs "Y" posts.  

Dravid way more skilled, miles ahead. Dravid held his own during insane peak of Ponting, averaged near 60. Was overshadowed by Lara and Tendulkar in the beginning of his career. Sangakkara and Kallis stole the limelight during the end of his career.

Pujara is comparable to Chanderpaul and Younus Khan. He is a great test batsmen no doubt, but Dravid is in the league of ATGs.

Dravid the slip catcher, test batsman and ODI record (way too similar to Inzimam) puts him in top 5 overall Cricketer India ever produced.

Edited by Vancouver