Sports channels not showing many non indian cricket series

It may not be making business sense or Corona creating financial and logistical issue. For example Sky Sports didn’t buy rights for test series between India and England. That never happened in past. 

Edited by mishra

Its not like that. The countries hosting matches is important factor. The only 2 countries missing from the rights are NZ and WI both because of bad timing  in IST.  We never had NZ rights properly before 2019. Its due to time slot. Very less viewers. 

Star had NZ rights but they didn't renew due to corona. But they added SA rights so SA matches are on hotstar.

Sony had WI rights but they didn't renew. Sony still show PAK/SL/ZIM/AUS/ENG matches. 

I think Sony will pick WI rights up again when we tour there . 

most people watching cricket in the world are indians, so what do you think they will be showing on tv, india is the only country that cares about cricket, if india stop playing international matches world cricket would be bankrupt 

Edited by falcons360
3 hours ago, falcons360 said:

most people watching cricket in the world are indians, so what do you think they will be showing on tv, india is the only country that cares about cricket, if india stop playing international matches world cricket would be bankrupt 

That's the problem with these intelligent media and ad managers that they feel all Indians are falling in that stupid category. Most Indians are intelligent and if a channel shows quality higlights from 80s WI and Pak series, there will be enough takers. I am not even referring to the 90s hard fought series between Aus and Sa or couple of very competitive Ashes. Star has clips of most of them, it's just pure laziness of their media team who can't think beyond India vs Ban or India vs SL highlights. It's not just false patrotism, it's also about putting some individuals in charge of the programming schedule who dont have a clue

6 hours ago, RajBan said:

That's the problem with these intelligent media and ad managers that they feel all Indians are falling in that stupid category. Most Indians are intelligent and if a channel shows quality higlights from 80s WI and Pak series, there will be enough takers. I am not even referring to the 90s hard fought series between Aus and Sa or couple of very competitive Ashes. Star has clips of most of them, it's just pure laziness of their media team who can't think beyond India vs Ban or India vs SL highlights. It's not just false patrotism, it's also about putting some individuals in charge of the programming schedule who dont have a clue

our media heads are naive and ignorant about sports that we love.. forget cricket, I remember star sports stopped showing wwe ( wwf then ) in 2001 as they didnt renew the contract.. Ten sports came a year later and that wrestling show is still hugely popular as it was then.. 

15 hours ago, mishra said:

It may not be making business sense or Corona creating financial and logistical issue. For example Sky Sports didn’t buy rights for test series between India and England. That never happened in past. 

you buy NZ rights, take feed of host broadcaster and squeeze ads..this is what they have been doing for years.. its the ignorant mgmt heads of channels who dont understand the avg man's passion for cricket

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Even the highlights of the matches won are ruined by their atrocious TV serial style narration :facepalm:

True, Gone are the days of 1 hr highlights post match day. The Star highlights always have some narrator as if the game was war and Indian players were some kind of warriors. Espn Star Cricket days were awesome, even Sony highlights of recent BG series was good. Only Sky seems to have maintained the quality.

2 hours ago, Vk1 said:

our media heads are naive and ignorant about sports that we love.. forget cricket, I remember star sports stopped showing wwe ( wwf then ) in 2001 as they didnt renew the contract.. Ten sports came a year later and that wrestling show is still hugely popular as it was then.. 

thanks for remembering. I was kid and cried almost 2 days for not able to watch WWE. After around 2 years i think resume in ten sports.

12 hours ago, Bigg Brother said:

True, Gone are the days of 1 hr highlights post match day. The Star highlights always have some narrator as if the game was war and Indian players were some kind of warriors. Espn Star Cricket days were awesome, even Sony highlights of recent BG series was good. Only Sky seems to have maintained the quality.

there was a time when many series couldn't be seen because of an issue between star and the distributors. And then ten sports came and got the rights for all domestic SL, Pakistan and UAE series. I remember missing out on an enticing tri series between Australia, New zealand and saf in 2002 because of this.